• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Found something interesting. Let me know what you think.

Tech

Smash Rookie
NNID
AntiTripsin
So, first let me start by saying I've never posted before so if I doing this right or not I have no idea. Anyway, I was messing around in For Glory and I started to experiment with some stuff using negative edge Shoryukens. This is what happened in one of the games.

Now, I went to test the percents just to make sure I wasn't going crazy. I made sure to use the same stage and percents in training mode and found that Peach doesn't die to strong up tilt until 130% fresh. Now, if you look carefully you can see that in the first few frame the animation for a true Shoryuken happens but immediately cancels, then is followed by a small flash as to when Ryu would connect a Shoryuken, but nothing happens. Also, this Peach could have been caught with bad DI, but still. So wether or not Ryu received any extra knock back I guess I can't really determine by myself, but the fact that there was no hurt box for Peaches forward smash to connect was a bit surprising. So let me know what you think. I'm interested to see if I'm crazy or not.

Last edited:

SackThing101

Smash Rookie
You didn't get hit by the fsmash because the hitboxes aren't on her shoulders if you're basically inside her.

By the looks of it, you were inside her body, so the fsmash didn't hit you, and you slightly moved closer to her body, only increasing your chances. This works with many other moves right now, such as Mario's jab and I think Mario and Sheik's fsmash. Though, again, you have to be inside the character not so it is very unlikely that it would be use in, say, tournaments. Also, Ryu's hurt box is very skinny compared to others, so if you use someone like Bowser, most-likely, you'll get it.

Also, you might of have frame-canceled Ryu's Shoryuken, making it not come out.

And you had rage when you did that medium up tilt, so it killed earlier than 130%.

Tech

Smash Rookie
NNID
AntiTripsin
You didn't get hit by the fsmash because the hitboxes aren't on her shoulders if you're basically inside her.

By the looks of it, you were inside her body, so the fsmash didn't hit you, and you slightly moved closer to her body, only increasing your chances. This works with many other moves right now, such as Mario's jab and I think Mario and Sheik's fsmash. Though, again, you have to be inside the character not so it is very unlikely that it would be use in, say, tournaments. Also, Ryu's hurt box is very skinny compared to others, so if you use someone like Bowser, most-likely, you'll get it.

Also, you might of have frame-canceled Ryu's Shoryuken, making it not come out.

And you had rage when you did that medium up tilt, so it killed earlier than 130%.
Hmm. Maybe. We tested it a few different ways but every time the forward smash hit. Also, when I said the move kills at 130% I meant with rage. I tested the percentages exactly as they were in game. So other than possible suspect DI it shouldn't have killed. The weirdest thing about it was I made no input after the Shoryuken. Everything that happened after I made the input and hit the ground took place on its own. I didn't input the walk forward or the strong up tilt. I see what you're saying though about the character being inside of Peach, with the smaller hurt box. Could definitely be the case. I managed to do it two or three more times in training, but still really have no idea how I was doing it.

Last edited:

SackThing101

Smash Rookie
It is very precise though with Peach's fsmash, because most of her hitboxes cover a good range. I tested this and it seems like the tennis racket is the easiest to do this one, the frying pan being the hardest. I would record the results, but I cannot record atm, but maybe later. You also tip toed once inside of peach, with is exactly how you avoid it. Also, Peach extends her back, going through any character instead of pushing them.

However, what interests me the most is the fact that you didn't end up behind Peach. In my testing, I was always behind Peach afterwards. Though, it could just be my lack of precision. I would say that when you frame-canceled the Shoryuken, the armor stayed on there, but that would be a stretch.

When you said you only did the Shoryuken and didn't walk forward and up tilt, there could be a few things: One, misinput, though unlikely. Two, controller acted up, unlikely also. Three, somehow, you buffered more than two moves. In Smash 4, you can only buffer one move, and that move would be the last one. But since this is Ryu, maybe he can buffer multiple moves due to his negative edge ability you said earlier? Like you negative edge'd the nair, but it didn't come out and maybe you misinput. What if that counts as two buffers? It's only a theory though.

The fourth reason this might happen is because of the input lag on the Wii U gamepad screen. If you use it as a screen or as a controller and a screen, most-likely, you have discovered that lag. The lag didn't input shoryuken, so it just walked forward and then the negative edge buffer was the strong up tilt. This is heavily assumed that you used the gamepad screen. Again, this is just a theory, I never really used the gamepad as a controller/TV screen.

Also, if you tested strong up tilt in training mode, rage does not apply there, not does staleness.

Tech

Smash Rookie
NNID
AntiTripsin
Yeah, I definitely see what you're saying. Interesting stuff. You're probably right, which is why I posted it, just to see if anyone else had experienced it or possibilities. All of which you said seemed very plausible. I don't use the Gamepad though. I use the GCC. The buffer theory that you were talking about was along the lines of what I was thinking too, and it would make sense that it would only happen to Ryu given his ability for inputs and negative edge. Are you sure Rage doesn't effect in training? I know that SMN isn't a thing in training, but I could of sworn that rage did?? I don't know. I'm a noob XD

Top Bottom