• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Formatting problems..

Psychoace

Smash Champion
I'm trying to reformat a laptop from the d drive(it has a factory default). This laptop has vista....(yeah that p.o.s.). So when I'm sitting there spamming f8 waiting for the "repair your computer" thing to pop up I hit it, it tells me to please wait and then it brings me to something that says other user. So I click on it and it asks for a user name and password...I've tried combinations of admin/password/the actual login information etc. and it keeps telling me that "The specified domain either doesn't exist or could not be contacted." I imagine some kind of virus is doing this as this thing is pretty plagued up with svchost.exe bull****. I've gotten rid of what I could and figured formatting was my best option, but this is pretty aggravating any tips on what I could do?

Could this also be registry related? I think I currently have a lot of it turned off, when I was removing some of the viruses. I've googled this crap for the past two days now, and this is one of the last sites I know of where I can possibly get an answer. Somebody please help a brotha out!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
try
"COMPUTERNAME/USERNAME"
or use something that involves actually formatting the drive rather than "repairing" your current OS installation.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
I've tried that as well, thinking it may have been set up for a domain network but it wasn't and trying that didn't work either..I'm guessing it didn't have a backup created by the creators. I went back through the laptop and I'm trying to manually get rid of viruses and clear up room, this is a pain in the ***.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
What I'm trying to say is that formatting the drive shouldn't require "repairing the computer." And if your computer is that loaded with viruses it's better off being formatted anyway (wipe the drive clean, install a brand new OS, etc.). Hope you kept up with making backups.

Top Bottom