• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Formatted my 2 GB SD Card in a way I thought fixed stuff. But now won't read.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I have a 2 GB SD Card that I used for Project M. And I noticed it had issues with some of the audio in that it would go to scratch and sometimes switch oddly to a different song but on a faster pace. I looked up that formatting was the way to fix it. And I did so on my Mac computer, and I thought for sure the option I picked wouldn't make it only work on Mac computers as I picked the FAT option like what the instructions said to prevent Audio from playing. But I'm afraid I made a mistake as the Wii no longer will read it, and now I have to buy a new 2 GB SD card for it. Is there a way to unformat the card so it looks like normal again? Or do I have to buy a new card for it now for my terrible mistake? :(

Fortress

Smash Master
If your card is truly dead and gone, then that's all there is to it. You can't 'unformat' it. Check out your local Gamestop sometime (provided you have them in your location), or EB Games. Chains usually carry 2GB SD cards by the boatload. I got mine used for like three dollars and it's going strong.

On a related note: I get that brstm issue, too, where the music just cuts to static and switches to a different song. I want to think it's because whomever made the brstm file ****ed up the looping of the file. At least, that's what I feel, seeing as I got the same deal when I made a Trigun theme loop brstm for Battlefield.

Then again, I hear bad sectors on the SD card after replacing and copying files can do it, too.

SonicMario

Smash Master
If your card is truly dead and gone, then that's all there is to it. You can't 'unformat' it. Check out your local Gamestop sometime (provided you have them in your location), or EB Games. Chains usually carry 2GB SD cards by the boatload. I got mine used for like three dollars and it's going strong.
Alright, thanks for responding anyway. If I can find a 2 GB SD card anyway, I'll purchase a new one.

Have to admit I'm a little mad at myself, but I suppose I didn't know. And thought formatting was the only way to fix the sound issue. I'll just make sure if I find one I won't do something like that again. Because I could handle the static if it means I have to have it in order to enjoy Project M c.c

SonicMario

Smash Master
This may be the cause of the problem. Don't buy a new sd just yet, format to FAT32 and see what happens.
FAT32 was not an option in my Mac's Disk Utility thing. All the other options was having it work only for Mac. FAT said it'd work for both Mac and Windows and I assumed it would mean it would still work on other things as a result.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
On a related note: I get that brstm issue, too, where the music just cuts to static and switches to a different song. I want to think it's because whomever made the brstm file ****ed up the looping of the file. At least, that's what I feel, seeing as I got the same deal when I made a Trigun theme loop brstm for Battlefield.

Then again, I hear bad sectors on the SD card after replacing and copying files can do it, too.
It's the latter. Defragmenting the sd card fixes the brstm glitchiness. Has nothing to do with incompetent uploaders most of the time.

MaxThunder

PM Support
it might be the mac formatting it in a way that the wii can't read somehow... People always seem to have weird issues with mac<.<... if you can, try reformatting to FAT32 on a Windows machine... if you can't then i don't know what you can do other than getting a New card...

oh and as Xermo said, audio issues are usually fixed by defragmenting the card...

SonicMario

Smash Master
Thought I'd clarify now: I bought a new card and everything. And I even don't have the sound issues anymore (Well mainly because of course it was a brand new card)

So the issue's past. I just won't try to format it again like I did with my old card. So whatever you do with threads that are resolved whether it's leaving the thread alone to let it get buried or outright close it. Go on ahead.

Top Bottom