• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice Foreign players can't read Hero's Command List!

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
What's going to happen to foreign players who can't read the command list due to the language barrier. They're at a huge disadvantage playing against, and especially with Hero.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to the language barrier on Hero's down special, it is probably easier to remember mp costs since the numbers are the same regardless of the language. 9 of the specials have unique numbers. Psyche up, Bounce, Oomph, and Snooze are specials that should probably be used from a distance (spacing them for snooze to hit the opponent should be fine). Flame Slash and Crackle Slash seem to have similar range. Kaclang and Metal Slash don't seem that useful in competitive play (unless Kaclang doesn't have a lot of lag). There are some minor drawbacks to this method, but a player can read what moves are available by the mp cost faster than learning the language in most cases. You can learn the words for the moves that have the same mp costs, but remembering mp costs should be fine.
This is my thoughts on how to mitigate the language barrier for Hero. One extra point is the fact that you have to manage MP anyways.

JoltSmash13

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3196-7112-8608
Won’t all of the moves that can be translated be translated? It seems like that is something Nintendo wouldn’t have overlooked...

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
Won’t all of the moves that can be translated be translated? It seems like that is something Nintendo wouldn’t have overlooked...
Yes, they are translated. The issue of the OP is the possibility of 2 players from different countries playing each other. One of them won't be able to read the commands unless they learned a different language.

JoltSmash13

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3196-7112-8608
Yes, they are translated. The issue of the OP is the possibility of 2 players from different countries playing each other. One of them won't be able to read the commands unless they learned a different language.
Oh yeah... I forgot about that! You’re right, that would be an issue. Unless they make some visual cues, that’s gonna make things pretty difficult. UNLESS it’s the same for every language.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
The spell names are different for each language, but the MP costs are the same. In my first post, I went into detail about the best way to mitigate this issue.

Top Bottom