• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

for those of you who play 2.5 on dolphin, how do you like it?

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
Ive been considering either getting a wiiU or a dedicated gaming rig for project M. its the ONLY game i play and id rather play it at the best possible resolution.

I know the wiiU will have a better quality upscaler than my 2010 hdtv with wii component cables. (i know it doesn't take GCC, and that's ok with me.)

I also know a gaming rig will put out PM at true 1080P.

I'm just wondering how many people use the PC method and if the input lag, frame rate, etc is exactly like the console version. and If the PC version is viable for serious and/or tournament play.

any input is appreciated, thanks.

DvarakElt

Smash Apprentice
I haven't tested with 2.5. but with 2.1 it seemed fine. I'm not a fox main or anything, but it felt good enough for me... (Mario Main) Some textures are pretty broken, but 95% of it was great. Mayflash dual controller box worked great too.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
I haven't tested with 2.5. but with 2.1 it seemed fine. I'm not a fox main or anything, but it felt good enough for me... (Mario Main) Some textures are pretty broken, but 95% of it was great. Mayflash dual controller box worked great too.
textures broken? what do you mean?

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
Yea some of the textures are broken, but this isn't in Vs. Mode so you should be fine at the most. As far as I know the frame rate is the same as Melee.

I play on Dolphin, can't really give much results yet since I don't have my GC controller to USB yet, but everything seems fine to me so far. No input lag or at least anything significant and I play some PC games competitively so that helps further my point (I don't play Starcraft though so my PC gaming may be nonviable in this case). But no problems for me except I screwed up my Ganondorf file somehow that I'm too lazy to fix, but otherwise really good. Beware that the game might have occasional annoying sounds if you use HLE, but if you have a good rig like me then it should do well with LLE. Google is your friend if you need any specific files that you don't know how to obtain. Also if you wait long enough, the new HLE will fix the annoying sounds since it's getting fully rewritten and it's made to work similarly to LLE,but faster. :)

Also if I remember correctly get gaming monitors, some monitors cause input lag I think. Though HDTVs, I am completely unsure since I just use a monitor.

Hope you pick PC, because PC gaming is amazing too just not as much as Melee.
It is tournament viable at the most, but not tournament legal if you know what I'm saying or at least for major tournaments. Perfect for Smash Fests if you can run LLE without slowdowns.

Hope this post helps, but I recommend waiting for more people's experience on Dolphin before investing $800+ on an decent-good gaming rig.

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
Yea some of the textures are broken, but this isn't in Vs. Mode so you should be fine at the most. As far as I know the frame rate is the same as Melee.

I play on Dolphin, can't really give much results yet since I don't have my GC controller to USB yet, but everything seems fine to me so far. No input lag or at least anything significant and I play some PC games competitively so that helps further my point (I don't play Starcraft though so my PC gaming may be nonviable in this case). But no problems for me except I screwed up my Ganondorf file somehow that I'm too lazy to fix, but otherwise really good. Beware that the game might have occasional annoying sounds if you use HLE, but if you have a good rig like me then it should do well with LLE. Google is your friend if you need any specific files that you don't know how to obtain. Also if you wait long enough, the new HLE will fix the annoying sounds since it's getting fully rewritten and it's made to work similarly to LLE,but faster. :)

Also if I remember correctly get gaming monitors, some monitors cause input lag I think. Though HDTVs, I am completely unsure since I just use a monitor.

Hope you pick PC, because PC gaming is amazing too just not as much as Melee.
It is tournament viable at the most, but not tournament legal if you know what I'm saying or at least for major tournaments. Perfect for Smash Fests if you can run LLE without slowdowns.

Hope this post helps, but I recommend waiting for more people's experience on Dolphin before investing $800+ on an decent-good gaming rig.
Thanks for your input, its really appreciated.
At onetime i used to have an Imac and ran dolphin on boot camp with windows 7 and played brawl at around 720p. Couldn't pull off 1080p with the imacs integrated graphics without severe lag, but it looked really nice none the less. i know using a monitor would look way nicer than a tv as well. but i was really looking at hooking it up to my 42 inch lcd tv and using game mode or something. Hopefully someone can shed some light on a similar setup. =)

I agree PC gaming is amazing and the possibilities are endless, on the other hand getting this rig would only really be for smash, as RPG's and the like dont capture me like they used to. For some reason I have to grown out of video games all together...except my thirst for project M, it has been increasing at an alarming rate, and I fear it will be the death of me.

Lykos-

Smash Rookie
Everything that people have said sounds fairly accurate so far. I don't really play competitively, so I can't add my thoughts on that, but here's what I've noticed playing Project M on Dolphin (with a Gamecube controller) so far. This is just personal experience; I have no idea which of these details are universal.
- Snake always crashes the game after a match; Charizard and Ivysaur sometimes do
- I haven't noticed any texture problems yet
- Skyloft runs very slowly compared to other stages; on my laptop, it runs at 70% speed while almost every other stage (definitely every other static stage) runs at 100%. Probably not an issue with a powerful rig.
- I haven't been able to create a save file for it, so I've just been using save states; this problem isn't necessarily universal, but I've seen it affect several others.
- Dolphin refuses to map partial presses on the L-button; this may just be my controller

The game feels very good in Dolphin and runs well, although not perfectly; I've never played Project M on a console and right now I see no reason to do so.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
Everything that people have said sounds fairly accurate so far. I don't really play competitively, so I can't add my thoughts on that, but here's what I've noticed playing Project M on Dolphin (with a Gamecube controller) so far. This is just personal experience; I have no idea which of these details are universal.
- Snake always crashes the game after a match; Charizard and Ivysaur sometimes do
- Skyloft runs very slowly compared to other stages; on my laptop, it runs at 70% speed while almost every other stage (definitely every other static stage) runs at 100%. Probably not an issue with a powerful rig.
- I haven't been able to create a save file for it, so I've just been using save states; this problem isn't necessarily universal, but I've seen it affect several others.
- Dolphin refuses to map partial presses on the L-button; this may just be my controller

The game feels very good in Dolphin and runs well, although not perfectly; I've never played Project M on a console and right now I see no reason to do so.
I forgot to mention Skyloft runs slowly in most cases, unless if you're using LLE. That's definitely more of the rig though.

I'll look into those 3 characters later.
Looked into Snake no crashes.... yet. Ganondorf, replaced every file still crashes.

Yea newer revisions of Dolphin can't make save files so save states might have to do, unless someone on the Dolphin team can get onto that problem. If you really want to save then go with Dolphin 3.0, not 3.5. Although 3.5 is much better performance wise.

Partial L presses can be done, I can tell later, but there's a setting. It's L-Analog/R-Analog in the control settings just assign them both to L/R, but I don't think Project: M has light shielding like Melee. And I can light shield in Melee just fine, P:M not so much.

:phone:

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
I forgot to mention Skyloft runs slowly in most cases, unless if you're using LLE. That's definitely more of the rig though.

I'll look into those 3 characters later.
Looked into Snake no crashes.... yet. Ganondorf, replaced every file still crashes.

Yea newer revisions of Dolphin can't make save files so save states might have to do, unless someone on the Dolphin team can get onto that problem. If you really want to save then go with Dolphin 3.0, not 3.5. Although 3.5 is much better performance wise.

Partial L presses can be done, I can tell later, but there's a setting. It's L-Analog/R-Analog in the control settings just assign them both to L/R, but I don't think Project: M has light shielding like Melee. And I can light shield in Melee just fine, P:M not so much.

ok thanks guys, the info here is eye opening. For now i will absolutely avoid dolphin for this. The graphical enhancement isnt worth all the random problems you guys described.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
ok thanks guys, the info here is eye opening. For now i will absolutely avoid dolphin for this. The graphical enhancement isnt worth all the random problems you guys described.
Yea some of the bugs are really annoying, also btw Ivysaur, Squirtle, Snake, and Charizard never crashed once. Only Ganondorf. Also save states have it's pluses and minuses, but more minuses. So enjoy your Wii U btw. :)

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
Yea some of the bugs are really annoying, also btw Ivysaur, Squirtle, Snake, and Charizard never crashed once. Only Ganondorf. Also save states have it's pluses and minuses, but more minuses. So enjoy your Wii U btw. :)

Thanks. maybe one day someone will optimize a dolphin build for project m

Top Bottom