• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For The Sake Of ROBotic SCIENCE! My Huge Gyro Project

So. If some of you haven't noticed yet, ROB's been in a terribly huge slump. The metagame seems to be barely creeping along. Most of us just camp out in the social thread, and rarely venture out to see any new threads. And when there are new threads, they usually either get completely ignored, or aren't really outstandingly helpful to the metagame.

So I've come to the conclusion that what might really perk us up would be a huge research data haul in. I've decided to accomplish this by making a retardedly huge Gyro research and info go-to page here. A guide on steroids, if you will. To do this is going to take me maybe a good couple of weeks. I'm going to have to rummage through old threads to see if I find any good info, update it, and then conduct research of my own.

--

As we all know, the Gyro is easily ROB's most versatile move. What really helps is that ROB has amazing Glidetosses, and the Gyro is easily at your disposal. So, to immortalize that wonderful top, here's a list of thigs I will be researching. They are listed in priority.

-Complete Gyro priority chart
--Uncharged Gyro Shot
--Half-Charged Gyro Shot
--Fully Charged Gyro Shot
--Gyro Toss
--Gyro Throw
--Z-Drop Gyro (MAYBE)

-Extensive in-depth Gyro frame data
--Gyro Charge Cancel "IASA"

-Glidetossing guide
--Glidehogging
--Soft Toss

-Gyro General
--Gyro Phases
--Damage
--Range

--

As you can see, I'm going to start with the Gyro priority data, uncharged shot. I will run through the whole cast's projectile, which will be disgustingly hard, because of variable projectile such as the Gyro, Nanners, AS, Nades, etc. I did a priority chart for the Zelda boards a couple of months back, and that took me about a week and a half.

Anyways, I most likely will start testing tommorow, and will update this as regularly as possible.

Just one question: what would you guys prefer the charts as: a code list or something out of Excel?

--

[collapse=The crappy father of my future priority charts]
Hi. Um, I was picking up Zelda, so I decided to do some research on something. I researched Farore Wind's first hitbox's priority against all the projectiles. Should I post the chart with the info here?

EDIT:

I got the OK from Kataefi, so here's a chart. I'll try to scrounge up a good chart program, because Works Spreadsheet isn't letting me delete columns and rows. >__> Anyways, here it is:

____
Key:
"C"=Cancel: Farore's Wind's first hit(FW) cancelled the projectile
"C1"=Cancel One: FW cancelled the first hit in a multi-hit attack, e.g. FLUDD
"P"=Poke: The projectile passed through FW and dealt damage to Zelda. Not necessarily knockback
"D"=Deflect: FW deflect the projectile. Not cancelled, simply altered its path
"K"=Kill: Only applies to Pikmin. FW killed the fresh Pikmin on contact the first time
*(#)=This indicates a note. Refer to the bottom of the post for notes

For this, I used my definition of a projectile: A box, be it hurt or hit, that is completely independent of the charater who spawned it. That is, the box can be hit without any effect on the character who spawned it, and it is not forced to come into contact with the character again. Because of this, tether attacks are not projectiles, as they are forced to return to the character, Falco's Reflector is not a projectile, as it is forced to return to him, etc. But, Pikmin and Boomerangs are projectiles as Pikmin can be evaded by Olimar and so can the Boomerangs by their respective owners. Also, "gravity" cannot be the only force acting on the box to make it move. That is, its only means of movement cannot simply be falling. Because of this, Samus' Bomb isn't a projectile.

____Mario's Fireball__FLUDD__TL's Arrow*1__TL's Boomerang__TL's Bomb*2__
|FW---------C-------------C1--------------------C-------------------C----------------P----------

____Link's Arrow__Link's Boomerang__Link's Bomb__ Charge Shot No Charge__
|FW-----------C----------------C-----------------------P----------------------C--------------

____Charge Shot Half__Charge Shot Max__Samus' Tilt Missile__Samus' Smash Missile__
|FW--------------C-------------P/C*3----------------------C-----------------------C---------------

____Final Cutter__Fox's Blaster__Falco's Blaster__Thunderjolt*4__Thunder__Skillet*5__
|FW------P-------------------P------------------P------------------C-------------------------P-----------C-------

____Bucket*6__Luigi's Fireball__Peanut*7__Banana__Tossed Banana__Needle 1__
|FW-----P---------------C-----------------------C------------P--------------P-----------------C-------

____Needle Storm*8__Din's Fire*9__Pit's Arrow__Watergun Bubbles__Watergun__
|FW--------C1----------------C---------------C-----------------P------------------C1------

____Bullet Seed__Razor Leaf__Rock Smash Fragments__Flamethrower__Grenade*10__
|FW------P---------------C------------------C1-----------------------C1--------------D----------

____Tossed Grenade__Nikita__Cypher__Tossed Turnip__Eggtoss__Yoshi Bomb Stars__
|FW--------D---------------D--------P--------------C-------------P----------------C------------

____Ice Blocks__Blizzard__D3 Jump Stars__Waddle Dee__Waddle Doo__Waddle Doo Beam
|FW-----D---------P?*11-----------C-----------------D---------------D-----------------C1---------

____Gordo__Wolf's Blaster__Baby Aura Sphere*12__Half Aura Sphere__Max Aura Sphere__
|FW----P-----------P----------------------C------------------------C--------------------C-----------

____Force Palm Flame__Ness' PK Thunder__Ness' PK Thunder's Tail__PK Cross*13__
|FW----------P---------------------C----------------------P---------------------P-----------

____Ness' PK Fire__Lucas' PK Thunder__Lucas' PK Thunder's Tail__PK Freeze__Lucas' PK Fire
|FW----C1?*14--------------C--------------------------P---------------------P---------------P-----

____Spring__Firebreath__Bike__Small Wheel__Big Wheel__ROB's Laser Thin__
|FW----C----------C1-------D/C1--------C--------------C---------------P--------------

____ROB's Laser Max__Gyro No Charge__Gyro Half__Gyro Max__Tossed Gyro__
|FW----------P-----------------C------------------C------------D-------------D---------

____Red Pikmin*16__Blue Pikmin__Yellow Pikmin__White Pikmin__Purple Pikmin__
|FW--------D-----------------D---------------D---------------K-----------------D/C--------

Notes:
*1: Farore's Wind deflected both Link and Toon Link's arrows at all levels of charge
*2: Both bombs were tossed, not smash tossed
*3: Samus' full Charge Shot made a cancel visual effect, but still damaged Zelda. This could indicate that it has two almost fused hits
*4: Farore's Wind cancelled both the aerial and the grounded versions of Thunderjolt
*5: Farore's Wind cancelled all of Skillet's food items
*6: The Bucket was filled with three Din's Fires
*7: Farore's Wind cancelled the Peanuts at all levels of charge
*8: Because even a slightly charged Needle looses more than one needle, testing a Needle Storm would yield the same results
*9: The amount of time Din's Fire was held did not affect the results
*10: The Grenade was tossed with a medium toss
*11: Because of the amount of visual effects created by Blizard, I could not see whether Farore's Wind cancelled one or was simply poked
*12: All Aura Spheres were launched by a Lucario at 0%
*13: Both PK Cross and PK Freeze were charged fully before being released
*14: Because of the amount of visual effects created by Ness' PK Fire, I could not see whether Farore's Wind cancelled one or was simply poked
*15: All Pikmin were fresh

--

Tell me if I missed any!
[/collapse]

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Please make sure to cover the gyro cancel, while in the air and stuff, and how many frames until it becomes an airdodge.

I'm pumped for this to happen.

Croissant

Smash Apprentice
I think what a lot of us forget is that the top can just be a sitting hit-box. That is, it's just a part of the stage your opponent can't use. I'm not saying we all forget it.. but just use it to limit options, trap opponents between that and another hitbox... if it's low and they are coming at you, it's pretty obvious most people will jump over it, so punish!
I'm not saying we all forget about it, just a reminder. Also, since ROB's so sh*tty at racking up damage, it's nice to grab out of it--> pummel to ground release back into the top--> grab and down throw--> ground stalk or w/e

just some thoughts =]

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
so i herd you have have a huge gyro. nice.

glide toss dancing is ********. i like running behind the gyro one, its like how guile can throw out a sonic boom, and since his recovery is really quick he gets to run right behind it to follow up with proper attacks and such.

edit:bad habit of repeating words

Mike: I not going to do priority testing with the Soft Toss, if that's what you mean. The priority won't change. But if you mean add info along with the other Glidetoss stuff, then yes, I will do it.

Sil: I will. Gyro Cancel is stupidly basic though, so what I'm most likely to do is just check what is the "IASA" frame on the Gyro charge. And GCC doesn't become an airdodge; you have to manually execute the airdodge after the cancel. What GCC does is simply put you in your idle falling animation.

Croissant: People don't usually use Gyro to limit stage maneuverability, mainly becuase it covers such little ground, and much less to make hitbox locks. It's too risky to try and set it up, so it usually only happens unintentionally. Picking up your Gyro with DA or some other safe option then saving it for a Glidetoss is a much better option.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Mike: I not going to do priority testing with the Soft Toss, if that's what you mean. The priority won't change. But if you mean add info along with the other Glidetoss stuff, then yes, I will do it.
It's the latter. I know the priority doesn't change. :)

Silhouette

Smash Lord
I think what a lot of us forget is that the top can just be a sitting hit-box. That is, it's just a part of the stage your opponent can't use. I'm not saying we all forget it.. but just use it to limit options, trap opponents between that and another hitbox... if it's low and they are coming at you, it's pretty obvious most people will jump over it, so punish!
I'm not saying we all forget about it, just a reminder. Also, since ROB's so sh*tty at racking up damage, it's nice to grab out of it--> pummel to ground release back into the top--> grab and down throw--> ground stalk or w/e

just some thoughts =]
The main application I find for this is while recovering, launch the gyro behind your opponent and fly behind it. Slighly effective against ground based characters and longer, platformless stages.

Sil: I will. Gyro Cancel is stupidly basic though, so what I'm most likely to do is just check what is the "IASA" frame on the Gyro charge. And GCC doesn't become an airdodge; you have to manually execute the airdodge after the cancel. What GCC does is simply put you in your idle falling animation.
I know its trivial compared to most of the other data you'll be compiling, but its something i've been wondering and was making sure you wouldn't miss it.

T0MMY

Smash Master
With two weeks of priority you'll probably get:

Gyro priority: none

lol, yes I'm being facetious, but peanuts from the Peanut Pop Gun have stopped my Gyro before.... ([x X]

Sudai

Stuff here
Seems random due to different charge times probably. I wish it had transcendent priority. MK has that on -all- of his attacks (can anyone think of one he doesn't? ****) why can't we we have it on our Gyro? :[

TheMike

Smash Lord
From Praxis' file for the Meta Knight Ban:

1. His sword moves are made of transcendent priority
-Transcendent priority means that they will not clash with anything. They have the priority that the Star Fox characters’ lasers have.
-The only moves that MK has that can clash are glide attack, dash attack, and his special moves.

Iirc, all his aerials and A-Attacks have transcendent priority, but specials, GA, and DA clank.

And thanks for reminding me Suds. I'm going to try and make as accurate an equation as I can for Gyro charge time in relation to Gyro damage/range/overall priority.

Also, I was playing around with B-Reversed and broversed Gyro charges. If you do either onto a low-lying platform like the two on BF you can snap onto the platform. Although I'm not sure if you can GCC with the snap to do no-landing-lag attacks.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Nice thread, I'm looking forward to what you can find, and I want to learn Soft tossing. ([^^]

Top Bottom