• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Glory. Is it good practice?

Jmon101

Smash Cadet
Lets get that i know that local games are best for practicing. Sometimes however, i dont have people to play with. People on for glory are pretty basic for the most part, but they teach you how to counter those basic play styles, which seems pretty fundamental to any player. Samus spam? I use to suck in those matches but now its no problem. Falcon rush/spikes? Figured those out too, now its also a better matchup for me. I can honestly say that its made me a stronger player in my locals, and improved my rank in my tournies.

So what i want to know is, why all the hate towards for glory as practice?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
For Glory is good practice if you only play online. Online play in general isn't the ideal way of practicing for local play, because of latency and stuff.

Btw, don't believe those who say there are only bad players (aka scrubs) in For Glory. That's bs.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
It's good practice to a certain extent but be aware that you won't be able to play at your best due to latency like Green Greens mentioned.

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
FG is definitely good for improving at the game until a certain point, but if you ever wanna improve from there, you're better off going to locals and playing with friends that are good at the game.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
There's a lot of hate due to peoples general beliefs towards For Glory, or rather Online Play in general. Most are convinced that you will always encounter lag or terrible players. Some even say (and this is actually pretty true for the most part) that they always encounter the same characters online. No matter how they look at it they cannot improve at all due to these factors, which is a load of bologna.

I don't have a lot of IRL friends nor ones that play Smash at least. I've never been to a tournament and have no intentions of going any time soon due to my Social Anxiety and the fact I cannot handle crowds well. Online Play is the best option I have at getting better, and honestly? It's worked wonders for me. I hardly encounter lag, and yes while I do occasionally come across players who are obviously either very young or new it doesn't exactly mean I wasted my time with them. Point is, I've absolutely had no issues getting better Online.

I've learned a lot no matter who I faced. New players, spammers, folks who are obviously tournament players, whatever. I gained experience no matter who I faced, and that's what should count the most. I never used to be able to handle spammers nor passive players very well. I probably never would of learned how to handle them properly if I didn't encounter these kinds of players online actually.

Either way, I've noticed an incredible improvement in my skill and play-style from only playing in For Glory.

No matter how I look at it it's definitely a good way to get some practice in if you are not able to play anyone locally.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
F has good players, but of course players that spams moves a lot too. Playing with other people locally is the best.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman

No its not. Unless you like to practice with input lag, flat stages, and some of the most toxic players you can find.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
I only go for For Glory anymore when I don't feel like logging into Anther's Ladder. Even then, every time I go on FG I regret it... the last time I was on, I faced a Wario who nearly timed me out by running away the whole match. I think as a tool for real improvement, it's outclassed by Anther's Ladder in every conceivable way. Anther's Ladder has adjustable rules, actual communication with your opponent (which can be good or bad depending on your opponent's attitude), more stage variety, a way to find opponents near your skill level, and a way to only look for players near you. The one upside to it is that it's fast and easy to set up; just choose "For Glory" and you're ready to roll! Aside from that, Anther's offers everything FG does and more.

It's not a bad tool for practice, as you're still playing the game, but I think Anther's is far superior.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037

For Glory is full of ****. I don't get why there's people here saying it's good practice when it really isn't, especially with lag in the way.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Like most games... online can be very different from offline play.

I have noticed that certain things that I can typically make work offline don't work online... just that slight lag gives them time to escape stuff that normally I can land. (not quite true combos.)

Ability to just to lag comes into play... to quickly drop the combo one was trying and go to something basic to keep oneself from getting hurt until it passes.

And the FD only rule... eliminates a lot of the game play found in tournaments... and even more found in non tournament play.

So is it good practice... depends on what you are doing. Some things will stop working other things will work better. Careful not to let your instincts permanently adjust.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
For Glory is full of ****. I don't get why there's people here saying it's good practice when it really isn't, especially with lag in the way.
I hardly ever encounter lag at all personally. I rarely ever get input delays or anything that stalls the game. Out of all the Online matches I've played I can safely say that less than 10% of them had any lag of any amount in them. I don't get why people complain about it so much when I myself hardly encounter it. I suppose it's because everyone has different experiences with For Glory, huh? :awesome:

I understand there's a lot of people that are upset about this or that involving For Glory, but I'm honestly happy with what I got. From what I tend to see often no one is ever really happy with Smash. People just want more and more and claim something is terrible because it doesn't have what they want. Games can always use some improving, but then again no game will ever truly be perfect.

Someone is going to find something "Wrong" with it and complain.

Also, not everyone has a hardcore competitive mentality and sometimes just like to play the game for fun. You can have the desire to improve while still wanting to just have fun. If For Glory isn't your thing then it isn't your thing. The only real issues I've had with For Glory is honestly all the salt, but you know what? You're going to get that stuff online anywhere you go. There's no escaping that, just like you can't escape new players, terrible players, or even spammers anywhere else on a game that can be played Online.

In any case, some may just not be as picky about it as others and that's why we consider it as a good training ground.

I've said it once already, I've seen a vast improvement in my skill from just playing Online, even if there's a lot of people screaming it's absolutely terrible for it. I only seem to get better and better too as time progresses. Will I ever be good enough to win a Tournament?

Probably not, but I'll be good enough to beat most of the players I happen to come across Online. All that matters to me.

That, and of course just having fun too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom