• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Glory is bad?

Dade

Smash Rookie
I've been seeing lots of posts complaining about how the game isn't fun anymore since bayo and cloud got put into the game and FG isn't worth it/was never worth it, but I'm not really sure why. I just don't agree with it, I've been pretty active on the 3DS (Just got my 7,777th game recently, woo!) and my main gameplay is on FG when I'm not trawling around with my buddies in a private match. Not going to make this into a "Cloud and bayo are easy to counter stop complaining" thread, but what's so bad about FG? I was pretty bad when I started, but I wanted to get better so I just played around on FG for basically forever. I've never been to a tournament although I'd like to, but are (non-prize match) tournament games that much different than FG? I'd say I'm about average at the game, I've won the majority (6,121/8,024) of my online matches, and I still have fun when I'm getting my ass kicked by a bayonetta. It's a learning experience! IMO the fun comes from a good fight and a good win, but if you don't learn anything and can't analyze your opponent's fighting style, how can you expect to win?

All I'm saying is I see a lot of people in FG complaining because of tryhards or cheap ********, but in the end that's the beauty of FG. Playing your best and hitting that sweet spot for the win and BAM.
(taunting doesn't hurt either, it's just a game!)

What are your opinions on For Glory? Personally I'm still able to enjoy it. It's great practice and once you get in your groove you can pull of some sick-ass mid-air reverse falcon punches.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I'm the guessing the complain is mostly from the competitive scene. Bayonetta I understand, but complaining about Cloud and Corrin is really a nonsense.
FG is kind of bad if you kept playing and lose a lot. So try to play with your friends more often.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
What's bad about FG?
A lot.
Basically everything you listed as being For Glory's charm is what diminishes its use completely as a platform for competitive games. Every single "good" experience you could've had on For Glory could and would have definitely happened if you played with friends personally or even online. The players are the worst example of Smash players a lot of times, so it really doesn't teach you how to play anything, and it is full of lag, meaning that even if you match up against a proper opponent, it's hard to get actual expereince that'll be useful for real matches with them.

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I don't think For Glory is necessarily bad, but it's not necessarily good either.

There's obviously going to be toxicity Online. It's part of Online Gaming, just like how there's going to be lag no matter what game you really play. Eventually you will encounter lag, and you will encounter people that are foul mouthed and think they're adorable for trying to make you mad. That's just part of the experience no matter where you go. You're obviously going to encounter players that have a huge skill gap between you, good or bad. Most games have a ranking system that sort of fixes that problem, but it's still there.

For me, I think For Glory has helped me improve a lot. I've obviously encountered my fair share of spammers and campers; however I believe if I never encountered them in the first place I wouldn't of learned how to handle them. Before they gave me a rough time, especially Ness/Lucas spammers, but now I can handle them far more easily because I've learned from mistakes and what to watch for.

What I do consider bad about For Glory is the fact you always encounter the same characters, who most of the time use the same tactics as your previous opponents. It gets stale, and kind of boring. It allows you to only learn a certain amount of match-ups because of this. It's also difficult to find someone who is actually fun and worth fighting against. Some people take For Glory too seriously.

It's nice that you're serious, and it's nice you want to go for the win; however some just enjoy milking it more than they should.

I'm not really a competitive player, although I do have some interest in it but I don't think I'll ever be willing to go to a Tournament. For Glory is usually my best choice, aside from Smashboards here. I got one or two IRL friends that play it; however one of them almost always refuses to fight me and complains about the matches every step of the way. I suppose I just need some new Smash Friends IRL.

Either way, I do find For Glory fun and I do believe it has helped me, but I know I can get much better and understand it can get dull with the whole Link, Link, Link, Cloud, Cloud, Link, Cloud, Ness, Ness, Ness, Ness, Cloud, Link, non-variety players and so on.

I suppose the shortened version is I'm pretty neutral about it. It's got some pros and cons, people just look at the cons a little more.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
I used to go on FG 24/7, but now I can barley even force myself to go on it anymore. Aside from the stereotypical players, there was just too much lag for it to even be considered playable anymore. Or maybe it's because I'm too lazy to test my skills. Either way, I'm not too fond of it anymore.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Owning noobs is fun! And Bayonetta is normally very easy to beat for me. A lot of her moves are very unsafe on shield too.

Dade

Smash Rookie
I'm the guessing the complain is mostly from the competitive scene. Bayonetta I understand, but complaining about Cloud and Corrin is really a nonsense.
FG is kind of bad if you kept playing and lose a lot. So try to play with your friends more often.
There's no doubt that playing with friends will ALWAYS be more fun, I'm still able to get a kick out of FG! Bayonetta is definitely the most annoying, simply because of he standard A combo that lasts a good 4 seconds. Every time I get caught in it I literally just sit back and stare at the ceiling for what seems like a good half hour.

What's bad about FG?
A lot.
Basically everything you listed as being For Glory's charm is what diminishes its use completely as a platform for competitive games. Every single "good" experience you could've had on For Glory could and would have definitely happened if you played with friends personally or even online. The players are the worst example of Smash players a lot of times, so it really doesn't teach you how to play anything, and it is full of lag, meaning that even if you match up against a proper opponent, it's hard to get actual expereince that'll be useful for real matches with them.
Personally I think the same could be said in ANY variation of the smash series, online or not; the sour side of people can always peak its head out and, when there's the magic wall of internet between the two players, it does make it vastly easier, but I've definitely played some IRL matches that got saltier than any FG match I've ever played.

Well, it does include but not limited to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkDhwS-qMzc,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fT1OOmJ8Ew,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vDpi_AW_7o,

:4tlink::GCB::GCB::GCB::GCB::4link:,

...and much more!
I don't think it's horrible but it is pretty dang flawed. Overall i wouldn't say it's "bad" but it's not the best for training or practice.
I've seen all of those and personally (save for the second one with the namespam, ugh that makes me cringe) I find it hilarious. FG definitely isn't the best for training, but it certainly helped me break out of my noobie shell!

I used to go on FG 24/7, but now I can barley even force myself to go on it anymore. Aside from the stereotypical players, there was just too much lag for it to even be considered playable anymore. Or maybe it's because I'm too lazy to test my skills. Either way, I'm not too fond of it anymore.
Really? That's a shame, although (other than when my router is crapping out on me) I've hardly ever played with any lag on FG. Is that a common issue for other people as well?

Owning noobs is fun! And Bayonetta is normally very easy to beat for me. A lot of her moves are very unsafe on shield too.
Agreed! I actually just played a single match of FG and it was against a bayo. Finished them off in less than a minute with the cap!

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Bayonetta is definitely the most annoying, simply because of he standard A combo that lasts a good 4 seconds. Every time I get caught in it I literally just sit back and stare at the ceiling for what seems like a good half hour.
I've had people activate counters before I could finish the punch combo, and I've also had fellow Bayonetta players roll behind me before I can finish the punch combo as well, so you may want to try that possibly. I know how annoying it can be, but it does have weaknesses.

And Bayonetta is normally very easy to beat for me. A lot of her moves are very unsafe on shield too.
Can confirm being a Bayonetta player myself. Everything of hers can be beaten by shielding unless you use mind games to trick them.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
For Glory is fine as a last resort to soothe your Smash needs. Maybe you can even entertain yourself with all the salt there, too.

Ax^2

SANIC SPED
NNID
BlueBlur97
Whats so bad about it huh? I'll tell you.

Lag. Excessive taunting. Lag.
The end.

I said lag twice because there's twice the amount of lag as there is excessive taunting

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
There's no doubt that playing with friends will ALWAYS be more fun, I'm still able to get a kick out of FG! Bayonetta is definitely the most annoying, simply because of he standard A combo that lasts a good 4 seconds. Every time I get caught in it I literally just sit back and stare at the ceiling for what seems like a good half hour.
Well, chances are that it might ruin your friendship if the fight gets too intense and salty.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
For Glory has and will always be bad for obvious reasons. It's been that way since day one.
It's a good thing I don't play it everyday.

Last edited:

MarMarTheGreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dylannumar2
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
FD only is a disadvantage for some matchups and characters.Lag is annoying and its not ranked

Anthers > FG

Dade

Smash Rookie
Whats so bad about it huh? I'll tell you.

Lag. Excessive taunting. Lag.
The end.

I said lag twice because there's twice the amount of lag as there is excessive taunting
The excessive taunting is totally a plus. And I get lag more often playing with friends than I do in FG - Which isn't saying much eve

FD only is a disadvantage for some matchups and characters.Lag is annoying and its not ranked

Anthers > FG
The only downside I see to FG (Other than the occasional lag that everyone's been raving about) is having to fight Rosalina and Sonic. Maybe it's just me but I see them all over in FG and they're so damn slippery.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
The excessive taunting is totally a plus. And I get lag more often playing with friends than I do in FG - Which isn't saying much eve
Well, that's why you play locally with friends. And I don't see how taunting is a plus. I mean, sure, it might make the game fun for a laugh, but the reason why people complain about FG is that it's marketed as competitive when it's basically anything but.
And what's the problem with Rosas and Sonics. It's 2016, people still haven't found their way around them?

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
No no, I don't have to worry about that. The salt is what makes our friendships hilarious!
Well, sadly not for me. I don't have a good temper when it comes to playing games... sometimes it is funny when I'm in a good mood, but if they do something salty when I was already pissed. Then it's no joke. I don't like salt on a wound.

Dade

Smash Rookie
Well, that's why you play locally with friends. And I don't see how taunting is a plus. I mean, sure, it might make the game fun for a laugh, but the reason why people complain about FG is that it's marketed as competitive when it's basically anything but.
And what's the problem with Rosas and Sonics. It's 2016, people still haven't found their way around them?
Fair point, but all my local friends hate playing smash bros with me because I'm better than them (not the best or anything, they're just really bad) and then if I go easy on them they complain that it isn't fun because I'm not trying :c I just need new friends I guess. But other than the supposed lag on FG, from what I've seen watching tourney streams and playing FG for myself, the only difference I've ever seen is that it's not omega-only and it's 2-stock instead of 4-stock.
Rosas and Sonics aren't hard to flick away, they just take so much away from the fight. When you're going mono a mono in a ditto Cap match and then they leave and you have to fight a slow floaty Rosa, you just lose a lot of juice, you know?

Well, sadly not for me. I don't have a good temper when it comes to playing games... sometimes it is funny when I'm in a good mood, but if they do something salty when I was already pissed. Then it's no joke. I don't like salt on a wound.
That's a shame! I like it when people get salty with me, it gives me the opportunity to throw some more lemons at them. The majority of people I know that get salty at games only get worse when they're angry. Primarily the types who, when they're angry and you tell them "It's just a game" they start yelling and they're too busy focusing on that than actually playing.
Salt is real.

Harb

Smash Cadet
NNID
Harb323
Switch FC
SW-2002-6569-6711
For Glory is only a major problem if you start unknowingly inheriting bad habits from being on there for too long. I may go on there if I am too lazy to go on Anther's, but I have been going back on Anther's more again. It's significantly better than For Glory.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
That's a shame! I like it when people get salty with me, it gives me the opportunity to throw some more lemons at them. The majority of people I know that get salty at games only get worse when they're angry. Primarily the types who, when they're angry and you tell them "It's just a game" they start yelling and they're too busy focusing on that than actually playing.
Salt is real.
Well, I'm not that kind of person.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Fair point, but all my local friends hate playing smash bros with me because I'm better than them (not the best or anything, they're just really bad) and then if I go easy on them they complain that it isn't fun because I'm not trying :c I just need new friends I guess. But other than the supposed lag on FG, from what I've seen watching tourney streams and playing FG for myself, the only difference I've ever seen is that it's not omega-only and it's 2-stock instead of 4-stock.
Rosas and Sonics aren't hard to flick away, they just take so much away from the fight. When you're going mono a mono in a ditto Cap match and then they leave and you have to fight a slow floaty Rosa, you just lose a lot of juice, you know?
Tournament rules for this game are 2 stocks, 6 minutes. And in regards to the stages: It makes a world's difference. Some Omega Stages are fine, while others are damn annoying to play on (the ones you can get pineappled easily). Not only that, some characters greatly benefit from platforms (Mario, Marcina) while other benefit from less of them (Little Mac)

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion, for glory is without a doubt the worst thing to to be added into smash bros. I could go into more detail, but I would just end up repeating what everyone else here has said.

Nick DePaul

Smash Cadet
NNID
nickzaroo
3DS FC
3239-4036-3837
I hate for glory for so many reasons and I only needed to try once ;(

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I've been seeing lots of posts complaining about how the game isn't fun anymore since bayo and cloud got put into the game and FG isn't worth it/was never worth it, but I'm not really sure why. I just don't agree with it, I've been pretty active on the 3DS (Just got my 7,777th game recently, woo!) and my main gameplay is on FG when I'm not trawling around with my buddies in a private match. Not going to make this into a "Cloud and bayo are easy to counter stop complaining" thread, but what's so bad about FG? I was pretty bad when I started, but I wanted to get better so I just played around on FG for basically forever. I've never been to a tournament although I'd like to, but are (non-prize match) tournament games that much different than FG? I'd say I'm about average at the game, I've won the majority (6,121/8,024) of my online matches, and I still have fun when I'm getting my *** kicked by a bayonetta. It's a learning experience! IMO the fun comes from a good fight and a good win, but if you don't learn anything and can't analyze your opponent's fighting style, how can you expect to win?

All I'm saying is I see a lot of people in FG complaining because of tryhards or cheap ********, but in the end that's the beauty of FG. Playing your best and hitting that sweet spot for the win and BAM.
(taunting doesn't hurt either, it's just a game!)

What are your opinions on For Glory? Personally I'm still able to enjoy it. It's great practice and once you get in your groove you can pull of some sick-*** mid-air reverse falcon punches.
There is a mis-perception of FG the tournament fat cats like to shower upon everyone else. That the mode is polluted with noobs and spammers. I will tell you, from first-hand experience, that is not at all true. Maybe it is not a consistent bloodbath like tourney regulars would prefer, but its as close to a tourney (especially in free-for-all) as you'll get without actually entering one. I say the general rule of thumb is, you'll do good at FG if you can beat Lvl 9 CPU's easily without losing a stock in Classic Mode, and possess a sense of telepathy. The latter is especially true, although its more commonly known in the Smash universe as "conditioning your opponent". If you don't naturally possess the ability to quickly analyze your opponent, you will more than likely be roadkill from the starting gate, and most likely have a hell of a time trying to take back the crown.

But FG gets more slack than it actually deserves, much of the commentary you read might come from tourney players who are overly cocky, or get ahead of themselves. I think a general consensus however, is that FG is for the more-serious minded, not necessarily competitive mind you, but not for people who would try to Smash and cook popcorn at the same time, if you know what I mean.

Top Bottom