• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Glory Challenge: Z-only, Final desination

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
I have recently created a challenge on for glory that's been fairly fun recently. Essentially, it's a rule-set that applies only to you that lets you only use and use the grab button. This might seem really crap, especially considering most characters don't have a kill throw to even net kills, but I assure you, this is a non-issue. See, the grab button actually has a wide range of functions that it could do if you knew of them. For example, hitting up and the grab button inputs an up smash (Like a DACUS input without the C stick). I'll list a few examples of inputs below.

A > indicates waiting before doing the next input. Usually referring to uncrouching.

Up smash (with tap jump):
:GCU::GCZ:
Up smash (without tap jump):
:GCD::GCU::GCZ:
Down smash:
:GCD:>:GCD::GCZ:
Forward smash:
:GCD:>:GCR::GCZ:
Down tilt:
:GCD::GCZ:
Up tilit (no tap jump):
:GCD:>:GCU::GCZ:
Jab
:GCD:>:GCZ:
F-tilt:
:GCR:>:GCL::GCZ: OR :GCL:>:GCR::GCZ:
Aerials:
Can be inputted after exiting hitlag using direction + :GCZ: button

Shield: Can be inputted after at any point after a grab finishes. Keep in mind that any time shield is inputted in the air, outside of immediately after hitlag occurs, grab is a shield input. This means you can air dodge or tech with grab.

It is highly recomended to:

A: If you can, set all inputs on your controller to grab. Along with forcing you not to cheat, it also makes some inputs easier, such as down smash, which becomes :GCD::GCCD:.
B: Turn tap jump on just so you can still recover if you fall off (no specials can be inputted with grab).

Have fun with this mode, and see if you can beat for glory scrubs online.

EDIT: Just as a side note, if you get good enough at this, you can bind L to grab, which then allows you to play one handed. It really impresses friends to people to play the game with just one hand, regardless of technical proficiency.

Last edited:

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
An interesting concept for showing off but other than that it seems really over the top for a mere challenge.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
This vaguely reminds me of Melee's Single Button Mode. The main beneficiaries of that mode were those who could recover safely enough without Up+B, most notably Yoshi (since Up+B didn't help in that game) and multi-jumpers like Kirby and Jigglypuff. I suspect the ability to start as Sheik by selecting Zelda and holding A was in part to accommodate this mode. It is fairly easy to see why this mode never returned in future games though, since it heavily favored specific characters. Ganondorf was mildly interesting though, since he still had his powerful up tilt.

As far as Sm4sh is concerned, Lucas, both Links, and both Samuses would benefit from having their aerial grapples still intact, both for attacking and recovery purposes. But the character who would shine most would undoubtedly be Ryu, since most of his specials still work with Z, albeit just the shorter variants via input sequences.

If only I had the means to control two Ryus this way, using L and main stick for player one, and by using C-stick and R for player two...

Top Bottom