• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Footstooling for the KO

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I've been using dropped/diagonal metal blades to set up guaranteed uTilt/uSmash combos, but it's surprisingly hard to actually catch an opponent with the blade.

Found this in another thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3xHtDo6ohA

Maybe if we can master this and the Leaf Shield lock, we can get around our KO problems?

One thing about footstooling confuses me. Sometimes when I try to footstool the opponent, Mega Man gets a huge jump instead of a normal jump, and the opponent doesn't go prone. Why does that happen?

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I've been using dropped/diagonal metal blades to set up guaranteed uTilt/uSmash combos, but it's surprisingly hard to actually catch an opponent with the blade.

Maybe if we can master this and the Leaf Shield lock, we can get around our KO problems?

One thing about footstooling confuses me. Sometimes when I try to footstool the opponent, Mega Man gets a huge jump instead of a normal jump, and the opponent doesn't go prone. Why does that happen?
To answer your footstool question, when the opponent is in the middle of an attack, they won't go prone when footstooled.
Also, that infinite that you just posted, is incredibly difficult to pull off. It requires frame perfect timing, and for your opponent to be standing still before you start the infinite.
We should probably be looking for better KO set ups with pellets and metal blades(and customs) but this infinite is too unreliable to look for KOs out of.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Footstools have a short hop height and a full hop height. (I'm pretty sure)

Getting a grounded footstool with a metal blade can be difficult (since Mega isn't the fastest), but the underlying principle of jab lock>utilt/dsmash works very well for sealing kills.

Edit: a grounded footstool is not necessary, as you can z-drop on an aerial footstool as well and follow up. While leafstools are a thing, I find it difficult to land due to your own limited options.

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I was thinking it would be a good recovery option, actually. Mega Man spends a lot of time recovering high, and even with Leaf Shield, most people just stand under you with their shields up (extended lag from Rush keeps you from getting a grab in). Instead of trying to land away from them, I figure the footstool could be a good mixup, and if you have the blade, all the better. It's not hard to at least get a footstool->zDrop for safety.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman

That is technically can 0-death, but it has major issues

I wouldn't consider this combo an infinte (short for infinte loop), I consider it more as just a loop since each loop, the Metal Blade can disappear.

• Port priority
  • Frame perfect
  • Metal Blade RNG
The main reason that you needed to be frame perfect with the footstool was that the forced get-up cannot be be interrupted with a footstool. So you must footstool them afterwards. If they do another action that is un-interruptible, and you Footstool them at the same time, Frame perfect, the person with port priority wins. People argued that the footstool is not guaranteed but it actually is under super duper strict conditions. I know this because I labbed this very early when the game came out. heck my vid came out earlier and fixed the initial problems
I already made a video way before that showcasing an alternative to frame perfect footstool.

Instead of a frame perfect footstool you Zdrop the metalblade and hit them during the forced get-up. Then you Zcatch and then footstool them during teh hitlag.

This method
  • No need for port priority
  • No need for frame perfect
  • helps with Metal Blade RNG
Each loop has a chance for the Metal Blade to disappear.
Each loop = RNG
This method does more damage.
More damage = less loops
less loops = less RNG

I actually did modify the combo a little since i released that vid so it has even less strict timing, I should redo it.

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Footstools have a short hop height and a full hop height. (I'm pretty sure)

Getting a grounded footstool with a metal blade can be difficult (since Mega isn't the fastest), but the underlying principle of jab lock>utilt/dsmash works very well for sealing kills.
Leafstools. They actually are guaranteed. Also you it doesn't have to be a Ground footstool.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
As much as I appreciate videos, I'm not watching anything that looks like an attempt to give me epilepsy. Nice post though.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
Meh that particular part can be ignored it is just repeating the loop until death.
Can you pull that on an actual fight or is way to hard? I haven't even being able to pull it off.

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
I actually did modify the combo a little since i released that vid so it has even less strict timing, I should redo it.
Could you please re-do it? I'm actually very curious how you improved on the initial combo.

How viable would you say the optimized version is? And could it be considered a true infinite, so long as the Metal Blade doesn't land on the ground?

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Could you please re-do it? I'm actually very curious how you improved on the initial combo.

How viable would you say the optimized version is? And could it be considered a true infinite, so long as the Metal Blade doesn't land on the ground?
The optimized version is just the same thing except the when changes to when to fastfall,
giving more time and thus more lenient. Now the hard parts buffer everything instead of precise timing. Buffering adds extra 9 frames of leniency while precise timing is scary.
I'm want to do it in real time this time so I’m just grinding the combo.

The metal blade must land on the ground at every loop. there's no getting around it
it is possible to do it back and forth so you avoid losing stage, also it leads into a spike
The opponent and drift left or right when they get footstooled, luckily Megaman has a ranged Jab lock so this doesn't effect the combo
you can easily react to DI at low-mid percents. Because of the trajectory the opponent gets launched and the Arc megaman travels after the footstool and the huge frame advantage mega man. DI is the main way one would break the combo.

if they DI down-away they'll take a straighter path, be sent farther, and be lower to the ground and if they drift away during the 2nd footstool, you are too far away to regrab the Metalblade and Jab lock, so you would be forced to use a finisher (utilt for kill, Uair/Danger Warp/Tornado Hold for damage)

Unfortunately the timing for the Zdrop Varies from character to character. Characters like mario is easier since you simply have to buffer it but others you have to time it precisely.

Last edited:

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
The optimized version is just the same thing except the when changes to when to fastfall,
giving more time and thus more lenient. Now the hard parts buffer everything instead of precise timing. Buffering adds extra 9 frames of leniency while precise timing is scary.
I'm want to do it in real time this time so I’m just grinding the combo.

The metal blade must land on the ground at every loop. there's no getting around it
it is possible to do it back and forth so you avoid losing stage, also it leads into a spike
The opponent and drift left or right when they get footstooled, luckily Megaman has a ranged Jab lock so this doesn't effect the combo
you can easily react to DI at low-mid percents. Because of the trajectory the opponent gets launched and the Arc megaman travels after the footstool and the huge frame advantage mega man. DI is the main way one would break the combo.

if they DI down-away they'll take a straighter path, be sent farther, and be lower to the ground and if they drift away during the 2nd footstool, you are too far away to regrab the Metalblade and Jab lock, so you would be forced to use a finisher (utilt for kill, Uair/Danger Warp/Tornado Hold for damage)

Unfortunately the timing for the Zdrop Varies from character to character. Characters like mario is easier since you simply have to buffer it but others you have to time it precisely.
waiting for the optimized video :)

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Not the optimized infinite vid, but apparently theres a small window where you can immediately ledge snap just after a footstool.
Yes Jab > Edgeslip > Footstool is guaranteed
There is barely not enough time time footstool again, but if your opponent immediately double jumps, you can steal it with a footstool and DED!

Last edited:
Top Bottom