• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Footstool Shenanigans

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
ive started using footstools with roy lately to set up low percent tech chases out of dtilt. dair is great as a tech chase set up, but unfortunately, it doesnt cause knock down until around 15-20% depending on the character. since your neutral game revolves so much around set ups from dtilt, getting a conversion right off the rip, on your first hit of the opponents stock can really be a game changer. while dair really does offer amazing damage potential, and lead into a solid tech chase, you can easily be punished for using it at too low of a percent. footstool fills this gap, and allows you to put your opponent into a very limited defense position at very low percents. even past low percents, i still believe it has its uses. since teching the footstool is a much different timing than teching a dair, it can potentially cause your opponent to mess up and miss their tech. its something that seems pretty difficult to deal with on a reactionary basis too, since they both require a very close proximity to land the sweetspot/footstool (making them look the same until the action is already performed), and because of the relative speed differences between the extremely hard hitting dair, and the slow footstool. another interesting thing is that the tip of dair can cause forced stand ups on missed techs at lowish percents, further complimenting your use of it.

offstage i think it has its uses too, since it basically forces you to recover low. you either sweetspot the ledge after one, or land on stage right in front of the ledge, which limits options and allows roy to edge guard easier. while roy usually has better options out of fair or dtilts at the ledge, having another mix up option is not a bad thing at all.

any other creative footstool uses you guys have used?

Last edited:

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
Footstool is definitely a good option. However, due to dairs relatively low base knockback, you can easily react to both situations at early percents.

From the extensive amount of time I've spent messing with this tech, I have found that the optimal situation for this piece of tech is when you combo somebody until they are just above a platform, and do a quick footstool to make it more difficult to tech in time due to the relative proximity between them and the platform. Other situations footstool is useful in is when you fight Bowser and DK. You can abuse their recovery really hard by comboing into a footstool off stage to put them just low enough to force a sweetspot. (In some situations it can even just outright kill them)

dtilt to footstool is so much fun, though. I love catching them with that quick mixup.

On a side note: have you heard of grounded side-B OoS? I hear it's a super cool and super technical option! You should do it. All Roys should do it. If anything, do it for me. :'D

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
you definitely can react to it, but at least it gives you an early percent tech chase option as opposed to none. and anything to mix up your options generally can work favorably. around the 20-60% percent range, the mix up actually can force a missed tech, due to early inputs.

but yeah if you can get the footstool at ledge height, its definitely going to hurt characters with small vertical recoveries. even if you dont, you can bair right after the footstool and FF to the ledge to attempt to further cover their options with a ledge hop dair.

I have actually heard of side b OOS lol, although i never went ad tested it until just now. it looks like you have 1 frame right after jumpsquat ends to input it, which makes it similar to grounded shine OOS as far as tech skill goes. i havent incorperated it into my game yet, but im gonna have to start doing it!

Top Bottom