• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Focused Tech Skill Practice Chapter 2 : WD

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I will go ahead and document my progress when going into my next chapter of focused fundamental tech skill practice.
This time around it's Wave Dash aka. WD

My current status is that I feel that I have a decent WD ability. I can utilize WD on a basic level, but still experience a large enough fail rate that I feel an overhaul is needed for sure.
I miss WD at least 10 times during a match resulting in a FJ.
Also WD Back Ledge Grab often fails, resulting in airdodging off
heh and I generally feel I got a stronger WD to the right than left.

I remember back when I first learned about Wave Dashing I would often find myself Air Dodging sideways, downwards or any angle inbetween soon after I left the ground.
All this happens super rarely now. Instead I find myself FJ which means I am inputting the Air Dodge too early.

In my practice I will therefor try to iron out this timing as well as learning to control different WD lengths mainly being the long, the short and in place.
I want to be able to do:
6 full length WD across Dreamland
WD smash turn WD back
WD in place OoS Ftilt
Dash WD turn Ftilt
and other stuff I cannot remember right now

As always I really hope you want to contribute with ideas of what to practice that would make sense in a basic strategy.

My first goal is to do 30 Wave Dashes backwards in a row, starting over on fail.
Criteria: Any length is good and I don't want to turn around after each one.

Second goal is to work on ONE WD at a time for as long as I can.
Criteria: Don't leave the ground. Control the length.
No count

3rd goal is to do 30 WD Back FF Ledge Grabs in a row, starting over on fail.
Criteria: Don't leave the ground. FF asap (as soon as 3 frames before airborn).

When I have been doing this many many times during the next days I will come back and update my goals.

While practicing I will focus on that one goal at a time and afterwards have fun playing around with stuff like Empty Pivot WD Back, FJ WL Smash Turn WD Back, Shield Pivot WD Back OoS, WD OoS, Shield Drop DJ WL, etc etc.
The focus will eventually shift to those later on

Frame Data:
Sheik has 3 frames of Jump Squat
Air Dodge possible on frame 4
Air Dodge landing lag: 10 frames

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
When practicing many WD in a row. (I just did what must have been at least 1000 attempts).
I found that using 20XX, being port 2 and choosing the alternative stage Home Run Contest is your best bet for this exercise.
And funny enough when you arrive at a certain point the screen turns all blue and you will no longer be able to see how long your WD are, it still works like a charm for spotting if they are frame perfect (not leaving the ground), making sure you don't turn around and such.
Thought I'd share that with you guys

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
8 days have passed with practicing mainly WD. This is turning me borderline insane - mostly bc it have yet to become musle memory! I still struggle with WD to the left more than to the right.
This doesn't mean that I havent improved though.
I have been able to implement and rely on Dash WD which is really nice for evasion. Again mostly to the right.

I will keep at it till I feel a bit more confident.

These are the routines/drills I run:

Dash WD Back ~mirror
Dash WD ~mirror
Dash WD Back Dash WD ~mirror
WD Smash Turn WD Back ~mirror
Empty Pivot WD Back ~mirror
Ledge Dash Smash Turn WD Back WD Smash Turn WD Back FF Ledge Grab repeat

And all of the above but OoS

Other OoS options:

Shield Pivot WD Back
Extended Shield Pivot WD Back

I feel like I have a bit too high expectations at this point and ironing out it all will take some time and more effort than a week's worth. So I might move on to the next tech soon.
I'll give it a few more days though

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Time for round 2 of WD practice.
Current status: No more weak or strong side.
Decent control and almost no tunnel vision utilizing WD'ing in friendlies.
I still have too high of a fail rate (FJ) that I deem a second round of focused practice is needed.

I had added a few disicplines to the practice schedule.

30 x Wavedashes in a row. Start count over on failure.
30 x Dash WD Back
Dash WD Back mirror
Dash WD Smash Turn WD Back FF Ledge Grab

Let's iron this out!

Salmon

Smash Cadet
NNID
SeasonedSalmon
Keep it up man! I remember incorporating WD's as second nature tools by just playing a TON of friendlies against better players on netplay. It was really more of an adapt or die situation. Good luck!

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Thanks man. Yea I have found that in order to stay mobile Sheik really depends on her ability to WD.
I have been slacking on the focused practice lately but I should really get back up. It's so frustrating having to DJ WL on top platform or FJ WL on side platforms to make up for a missed timing input for the WD. Destroys the control and flow of the match.

My fail rate is alot lower now, but still not near where I want it

Atrioc

Smash Rookie
What's the distance of the max range WD on the Home Run contest stage?

Top Bottom