• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Focus Attack Fundementals

Kernelcapi

Smash Rookie
Focus attack is one of the more unique moves in the sm4sh and gives ryu a lot of options for recovery, shield pressure, and mixups. This is to teach beginners how to use focus attack properly in competitive play and how to use it in general.

AS A MOVEMENT OPTION focus attack has great potential. You can dash out of the animation of it by double tapping the control stick in the direction you want to move. Now Ryu does not have great air mobility so this is a great tool to use. You can also use focus attack as an escape option as well because of the one free hit you can take whilst charging it. you also need to keep in mind that you can use this in the air and can use it for mind games. For example: say I'm approaching someone i can jump use focus attack and bait a roll, shield or spot dodge then double tap backward then punish. Or i can double tap forward and punish. Focus attack is most useful for scenarios when you want trick your opponent into executing something and waiting to see what happens.

AS A OFFENSIVE OPTION focus attack kind of sucks (tbh) it's way to slow and can be punished easily. (note: you can only dash out FA before the hitbox or after the hitbox but only if you actually hit with it. If it shield it acts as if you didn't hit with) FA has three stages of charge

THE 1ST STAGE does straight damage and doesn't stun.

THE 2ND STAGE stuns but you have to dash in order to get anything out of it.

THE 3RD STAGE stuns for a very long time and goes through shields.

S1 has some follow up potential. At ledge it could lead into a spike but only if your opponent doesn't know how to airdodge.
S2 is a good shield poker but you're 100% guaranteed going to get punished if it hits a healthy shield.
S3 is when you charge FA all the way but it is so easy to punish because of the long charge up time.

Overall though FA is a great tool that i don't see a lot of Ryu's take advantage of. I hope this helps any of my fellow Ryu mains out there. now I am NOT a pro Ryu player in any way so if you think I am missing anything said anything wrong in this thread then comment and tell me your opinions on how to use FA effectively. I'd love to hear from you guys.

Sincerely,
The Kernel

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
With characters that have single-hit smash attacks, I tend to use Focus Attack in order to Super Armor straight through it. More often than not, the opponent's recovery frames are too long for them to dodge a full-scale Focus. It's also a great tool against Bowser's Drop Kick, Ganondorf's Warlock Punch, and Captain Falcon's Punch and Side B. It's a pretty easy way to land an input Shoryuken. No idea if can go through a KO Punch.

Now, I've only recently picked up Ryu to become a serious main, so any tips on how to maximize use of FA is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Kernelcapi

Smash Rookie
With characters that have single-hit smash attacks, I tend to use Focus Attack in order to Super Armor straight through it. More often than not, the opponent's recovery frames are too long for them to dodge a full-scale Focus. It's also a great tool against Bowser's Drop Kick, Ganondorf's Warlock Punch, and Captain Falcon's Punch and Side B. It's a pretty easy way to land an input Shoryuken. No idea if can go through a KO Punch.

Now, I've only recently picked up Ryu to become a serious main, so any tips on how to maximize use of FA is greatly appreciated.
Yes it is useful in those scenarios i also tend to use it against my friend who mains a ganon. Totally forgot about those so thanks for reminding me. No nothing can super armor or shield against ko punch which makes all the more OP lol:laugh:.

Ryuki of Spiral Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
Am i missing somthing? I cant end the animation at all.... is there a video anywhere i can watch?
What do you mean by "end the animation"?
Do you mean fully charging it...?
Or do you mean cancelling it into a forward or back dash?

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
Am i missing somthing? I cant end the animation at all.... is there a video anywhere i can watch?
In order to cancel it, you have to hit forward or backward twice. Mind you, you also have to have the B button held whilst hitting the direction, or else it won't cancel.

TheHeroKing

Smash Cadet
NNID
GIRATlNA
I think I've seen a few people perfect shield a Focus Attack fully charged.

Top Bottom