• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FMV Cutscenes/CGi Trailer need to die

Booster

Smash Lord
Everyone has been putting this to the back of their mind, but FMV Cutscenes and CGi Trailers SUCK! They usually look better then the actual game and it's not only REALLY distracting from the game itself, but they're overused. They don't show ANY actual gameplay, I know there's FMV games like Heavy Rain and early CD systems, but that's NOT gameplay, that's not gameplay at all, it's just "Press and mash buttons until you win" Please note Final Fantasy 13 is no different

Let's take a look at a series that is a glutton for FMVs, Final Fantasy. I feel like Final Fantasy X today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cexKEpPRi-s THIS is an FMV, it looks great doesn't it?

Now take a look at the actual game https://twitter.com/GamerFluttershy/status/488021650164568064/photo/1 YIKES, this reminds me of Mega Man 2 NES/Mega Man Tiger Electronics Screenshot Comparisons, IT LOOKS HORRENDOUS!!! Can you imagine watching that FMV in a game that looks like THAT? ^

Well that FMV ruined how I looked at the ingame Final Fantasy X graphics back in 2001 and it looks EVEN WORSE now. Also you can't skip them, not even in the HD Re-release.

Here's a more common case of FMVs ruining how a game actually looks, watch the first few minutes of this Sonic 06 Lets Play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb6odiuB6d8 pretty horrific, you can't pick which ingame graphics look worse because PS2 and Xbox360 are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT in power, they're both equally bad, my **** looks better then this, I'd post a picture of dog **** to compare to the ingame graphics of Final Fantasy X and Sonic 06, but odds are I would get banned, if not PLEASE let me know so I can make a Comic Strip style picture comparing the three side by side.

I think I've had enough of these ****ing Full Motion Video BS cutscenes, they ruined their games respectively, both Final Fantasy X and Sonic 06 have incredibly linear, terrible gameplay with terrible ingame graphics. Goddamn it...now onto CGi Trailers. There were ALOT of them at E3 this year, none of them showing off any gameplay, ingame graphics, it's the same **** we'd get from a modern day movie in CGi.

Well let's look at this Uncharted 4 Trailer from E3 2014 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Rx-Bbht5E There's no gameplay...it's ALL CGi, it looks good...in the cutscene, I get a feeling the actual game won't look this good even in 1080P HD at 60 Frames, I mean this is E3's answer to Full Motion Video cutscenes that distract. Now, let's take a look at Legend of Zelda Wii U's E3 2014 trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcYXX4TUK4I

Not only does it look more appealing, but this is actual gameplay. DAMN, WII U JUST KICKED PS4'S ASS! As a bonus have a Xenoblade Chronicles X gameplay trailer, now with 100% more gameplay then anything Sony themselves showed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKKiODpn6Fg

These CGi trailers are dumb and lazy, they're an excuse to not show off the actual game and Full Motion Videos are even worse. Surely you guys don't like Full Motion Video or CGi Trailers with no gameplay right?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Eh, I'm not a fan of CG trailers since I like to see how the game plays as early as possible, but I get why they do it. At E3, they just want to generate hype and get people talking. They don't want to show alpha footage, so it's easy to win over the impression over certain people

But I was sort of agreeing until I read that post. That wasn't a great way to get a point across.

While I feel that CG cutscenes don't contribute much to current gen, and are mostly unnecessary in games considering how games look now, I don't feel that it hurts past games to have rendered cutscenes like that.

Edit: That last comment was towards storytelling cutscenes

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Eh, I'm not a fan of CG trailers since I like to see how the game plays as early as possible, but I get why they do it. At E3, they just want to generate hype and get people talking. They don't want to show alpha footage, so it's easy to win over the impression over certain people

But I was sort of agreeing until I read that post. That wasn't a great way to get a point across.

While I feel that CG cutscenes don't contribute much to current gen, and are mostly unnecessary in games considering how games look now, I don't feel that it hurts past games to have rendered cutscenes like that.

Still, isn't it better to at least try to show some gameplay rather than outright lie about it like some games do (Aliens Colonial Marines is a decent example)?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Still, isn't it better to at least try to show some gameplay rather than outright lie about it like some games do (Aliens Colonial Marines is a decent example)?
And that's exactly what I mean with my first statement. It's not a good thing for the gamers that buy the game, but you know why developers do it. It benefits the publishers and developers since they just want it to look nice at first glance. Aliens Colonial Marines is a good example since I'm sure it wouldn't have sold nearly as much.

finalark

SNORLAX
Well let's look at this Uncharted 4 Trailer from E3 2014 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Rx-Bbht5E There's no gameplay...it's ALL CGi, it looks good...in the cutscene, I get a feeling the actual game won't look this good even in 1080P HD at 60 Frames, I mean this is E3's answer to Full Motion Video cutscenes that distract. Now, let's take a look at Legend of Zelda Wii U's E3 2014 trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcYXX4TUK4I

Not only does it look more appealing, but this is actual gameplay. DAMN, WII U JUST KICKED PS4'S ***!
This bothers me because as far as I know the Zelda Wuu's trailer was just rendered in the engine, it wasn't actual game play. Really, it's the same as Uncharted 4's trailer in that case.

Anyway, FMVs are a relic of the the PS1/N64/SAT era that persisted into the PS2 era and then clung around a bit at the start of the HD era. But there were quickly faded out since we eventually got good enough in-game graphics to make really nice looking in-engine cut scenes.

Honestly, I'm fine with FMVs, even in old games. Really, if you were expecting FFX to look anything like its pre-rended cutscenes back in 01 you kinda had your disappointment coming to you. FMVs were created out of a desire to show off exactly what you could do with new hardware, the only reason why that level of graphical fidelity was never applied to actual game play was because the game would likely crash in seconds, plus there's no way a PS1/N64/SAT or a PS2/Xbox/GCN disk/cart could actually handle it. Plus it really isn't fair to look at Sonic '06 as an example, since that game was basically released in alpha. Then again, all early HD era games kinda look (and usually play) like crap.

I will agree, though, that it would be nice to see companies show more game play in their teaser trailers, but if, say, Sony, had released footage of the Uncharted 4 alpha people would have complained and said it looked like **** and didn't look nearly as finished as the first three games because people are stupid and don't understand how game development works /endrant.

Booster

Smash Lord

I'm sorry if I made you upset...I just hate these tenth assed ways of advertising the game and how FMVs are incredible distracting, like a person standing infront of the TV dancing and singing "I'm sexy and I know it", atleast I think FMVs are that distracting from the game itself.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm sorry if I made you upset...I just hate these tenth ***** ways of advertising the game and how FMVs are incredible distracting, like a person standing infront of the TV dancing and singing "I'm sexy and I know it", atleast I think FMVs are that distracting from the game itself.
I'm not upset, and I don't think a lot of people would disagree on the topic.

The argument was presented personal, but I guess that's the point.
But yeah, it's too bad but that's how it is. Advertising like this is probably a lot easier, especially to the e3 audience.

Booster

Smash Lord
I'm not upset, and I don't think a lot of people would disagree on the topic.

The argument was presented personal, but I guess that's the point.
But yeah, it's too bad but that's how it is. Advertising like this is probably a lot easier, especially to the e3 audience.
I've talked to alot of fellow twitter goers, they hate it too and some are angrier then others for obvious reasons: What you're seeing isn't a game, it's basically a commercial that's usually cliche with a recycled formula:

Badass does Badass things with a Badass Weapon in slow mo, trailer ends on a cliffhanger with a release date for next year

Words cannot express how this overused **** makes me feel. As for Full Motion Video cutscenes, they're more or less a preview of Next Gen that can ruin a game if overused like in Final Fantasy games, the Full Motion Videos on the DS Final Fantasy games are the worst, I should've used THOSE as my example, but I feel that FFX had overrated graphics and needed to be addressed.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I'm starting to wonder if there are things he doesn't hate in the gaming world.

I'm fine with CGI cutscenes in-game, they really don't bother me too much. What does bother me is when companies pretend CGI cutscenes are in-game footage.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I'm fine with CGI cutscenes in-game, they really don't bother me too much. What does bother me is when companies pretend CGI cutscenes are in-game footage.
Uh , yeah. Among others, Baten Kaitos definitely kind of pulled one over on everyone when it was released. Even Nintendo Power mentioned it at some point. It's kind of false advertising, but as others have said, a lot of CGI trailers are more about hype building than anything. I think most gamers have become sensitized to it to an extent--we expect that cutscenes won't be as graphically superior as the in-game graphics themselves.

Which is perfectly acceptable, and very understandable in the N64/PS1 era. Final Fantasy VII was heavily lauded for its cutscenes, which helped emphasize some important events in that game more heavily than in game graphics could. Final Fantasy VIII also followed suit with its cutscenes, with the whole Squall-Rinoa dance being an important highlight and milestone for gaming graphics and motion at the time.

However, there is some criticism with the post FFVI-games saying that those games are basically glorified interactive movies, which I don't agree with exactly but I do understand. When you constantly have to watch mini-movies here and there, it gets quite old. Thankfully, more modern games allow you to skip these, but the movies usually can't be skipped the first time during the playthrough. So it's a kind of superglued problem; it loses foundation after a while.

But I actually do like cutscenes for the most part, and while a game like Brawl featured an extensive amount, they helped form a story that I wouldn't have really seen otherwise. Like Melee, most of the cutscenes were less than a minute or two, and were very bearable, and also skippable. I really hope Sakurai includes all the trailers for the characters in Smash 4, because I love them all! Cutscenes like that are enjoyable to watch, which is saying something when it comes to other games haha

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I read that as "CDi trailer" for a second. Seeing someone make one of those would be hilarious.

Anyway, yeah I can see why people don't like it. Personally, I haven't played a game that uses this kind of thing (like Heavy Rain, for example) so i don't really have much of an authority over this matter.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
For CG trailers, I don't mind it since I know that isn't what it's going to look at. What's kind of annoying is when we see screenshots that are touched up to look better than what they'll really look like. It's a little amusing that Nintendo screenshots are usually the opposite. They look sort of ugly at times and they either improve or look amazing in motion.

Proobie44

Smash Cadet
I don't mind a CG trailer for like announcing a new game that is in development. But to continue releasing such trailers or even showing "gameplay" that is later scrapped or even purposefully made a section to show off (I'm looking at you Aliens Colonial Marine, Bioshock Infinite and The Last Of Us) is practically false advertising. Just show us the gameplay so far and be straight up.

finalark

SNORLAX
This is something I kinda wanted to address but forgot to. But now I'm here again, so I'll just say this: I won't believe that's actual game play until you show me something with a controller making everything that happened in that trailer happen. Maybe it's all in-engine footage, or all things that are possible with a controller, but it certainly isn't someone playing the game.

Booster

Smash Lord
I'm starting to wonder if there are things he doesn't hate in the gaming world.

Let's just say there are gamers out there more Angry then I am, I like quite a few things about games, but too many people make threads talking about positive things in games (ZOMG PERSONA 4 ULTIMAX ULTIMASM!!!!), we can't deny the bad **** or developers won't change.

Twewy

Smash Lord
People make positive threads because they want to talk about things they enjoy on here. I mean, I'm pretty critical myself, but I won't deprive someone else of something they like.

But yeah, on-topic, I'm okay with FMVs in games, as long as they aren't advertised as in-game game graphics or gameplay.

Top Bottom