• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Floating after leaving edge

Sir_Slice

Smash Cadet
I can't seem to build any consistency in floating after pressing down to get off ledge. Does anyone know anything about this?

Sir_Slice

Smash Cadet
I press down on ledge and fall off, then I use my double jump and try and float using Y and down at the same time. What's weird is I have floated before I use the DJ and after on accident many times. I'd like to learn how to use it in both instances.

Sycorax

Smash Ace
I press down on ledge and fall off, then I use my double jump and try and float using Y and down at the same time. What's weird is I have floated before I use the DJ and after on accident many times. I'd like to learn how to use it in both instances.
All that is required for float is that you hold down and jump at the same time. So you can press and hold down to fall from the ledge, then press and hold X/Y right after letting go to float instantly. This way, you don't use your DJ either which is handy.

Sir_Slice

Smash Cadet
I can't get it to work can you try it and see if those instructions are working for you?

Sockmouth

Smash Rookie
I can't get it to work can you try it and see if those instructions are working for you?
Are you sure you have your float again? If you float once on ledge you have to refresh the float by landing on stage. I had problems with this until I understood that hanging on ledge doesn't refresh float.

CommanderRed

Smash Rookie
I grab the ledge, then just quickly let go and hold Y(or X) and down, then you should be floating. It's just a matter of practice and timing. Once you get it down it because a basic skill with her. Also if your opponent tries to spike you down(Marth and Falco), move quickly to the left, that will align you in the perfect way to get that fair in and if it's battlefield, they will hit the downside of the stage and fall off. Works as a spike for peach. If they are coming back on the stage, just move them with bairs.

Sir_Slice

Smash Cadet
I think I always float to edge and have only been practicing like that. So its not refreshing. I believe that's what's wrong I'll test tonight.

COB

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, you have to jump or wavedash to the edge. If you float -> grab edge this won't work.

SYKM

Smash Rookie
Sycorax is correct about not using the DJ, you might want to make sure you don't let go of :GCD: after you ledge drop, then just hold :GCX:/:GCY:

And COB is correct about the edge, you have to single jump or wave dash to it

Last edited:
Top Bottom