• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flint LAN: Largest Gaming Event in Michigan!

Flint VGC

Smash Cadet
http://www.flintlan.com

Brawl and Much, Much More!!

The largest video gaming and technical training event in Mid-Michigan is returning to Flint, MI!

The ACM club and Video Gamers Club of UM-Flint, with the help of MiTN
of Greater Flint, will be hosting the largest video gaming and
technical training event in Michigan this weekend, December 4-5, in
the conference center of the Riverfront Residence Hall in Flint, MI. This
full-featured event will host open gaming on multiple platforms,
technology training seminars, and over 10 tournaments with prizes
including:
  • 22″ 1080p LED TV
  • RCA Home Theater System (5.1 Surround, 1080p up-scaling DVD, HDMI)
  • Logitech X-530 5.1 Computer Surround Sound System
  • Vizio Blu Ray Player w/Internet Applications
  • Two Black and Decker Mini Fridges
  • 1.5 TB External Hard Drive
  • Two (2) Digital Cameras
  • Two (2) Altec Lansing Speakers Sets
  • 1 Year Website Hosting
  • 1 Year Game Server Hosting
  • Scentsy System US ARMY
  • Scentsy System General
  • DJ Hero 2 Deluxe Set
  • And Much More!

Featured tournaments will include:
  • (PC) Call of Duty: Black Ops
  • (PC) Starcraft
  • (PC) Counterstrike: Source
  • (PC) Unreal Tournament 2004
  • (X360) Halo: Reach
  • (X360) Madden 11
  • (Wii) Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • (Wii) Wii Sports Bowling (charity tourney)
  • (N64) Goldeneye 007
  • (NES) Mario Bros.
And many other games will be available for free-play!

*Brawl tournament will be a 1v1, 32-player double-elimination bracket and will follow the Official BBR Recommended Rule List 3.1

Join the Facebook event page and visit the event website for more information.
!!PRE-REGISTER ONLINE AND GET 20% OFF ADMISSION!!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=150769868286859

D

Deleted member

OH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

What's The Point

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure it's actually $20 to get in after messing with the buying options.

Gio, I assume it's the Mario Bros 3, with the enemies and the POW and the pipes.

Flint VGC

Smash Cadet
Ok, sorry guys for being away all day.

The pointy one is right; it's only $20 if you pre-pay (or $25 at the door) and that gets you entries into 2 separate tournaments plus pizza and pop, as well as open gaming and training seminars if you're interested. The $50 is if you're also buying a MITN membership (they're one of our sponsors). And yes, it's the Super Mario Bros. 3 subgame with the POW and pipes and enemies and such:

Also, we'll give another $5 off admission for anyone that brings a Wii with Brawl. And if anyone, out of the kindness of their hearts, is willing/able to bring copies of Wii Sports, an N64 w/Goldeneye, an NES with Super Mario Bros. 3, and/or controllers for any of the above, it would be greatly appreciated. We had a verbal agreement with Disc Replay to supply some extra consoles, games, and controllers, but now they backed out last-minute. If you help us out on these I may be able to fandangle another discount for you, but I can't make any promises because I'm technically not the supreme overlord of this event.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Ok, sorry guys for being away all day.

The pointy one is right; it's only $20 if you pre-pay (or $25 at the door) and that gets you entries into 2 separate tournaments plus pizza and pop, as well as open gaming and training seminars if you're interested. The $50 is if you're also buying a MITN membership (they're one of our sponsors). And yes, it's the Super Mario Bros. 3 subgame with the POW and pipes and enemies and such:

Also, we'll give another $5 off admission for anyone that brings a Wii with Brawl. And if anyone, out of the kindness of their hearts, is willing/able to bring copies of Wii Sports, an N64 w/Goldeneye, an NES with Super Mario Bros. 3, and/or controllers for any of the above, it would be greatly appreciated. We had a verbal agreement with Disc Replay to supply some extra consoles, games, and controllers, but now they backed out last-minute. If you help us out on these I may be able to fandangle another discount for you, but I can't make any promises because I'm technically not the supreme overlord of this event.
Should've advertised earlier. Last year was soooo fun.

Flint VGC

Smash Cadet
Yeah, there were a lot of things that could've been done much better. I (and the UM-Flint Video Gamers' Club) joined forces with these people that were putting on the LAN, and in doing so we had almost no control over the planning, and the whole thing got slowed down in planning by a ****ton of things going wrong, including some sponsors dropping out, a death in the family of the main people organizing this, getting shafted on the venue and power costs, etc. The event ended up going negative about $3,500. Next time around the VGC is going to go back to hosting its tourneys on its own; seems to work out much better that way.

And just to report on the results of the Brawl tourney, out of 15 entrants:
1st Place: Boxxy - 22" 1080p LED TV (MSRP: $299.99)
2nd Place: Derek - chrome Wii Remote
3rd Place: Sumer - personal mini space heater

Boxxy

Smash Lord
well I think your a good TO so im looking forward to your next tourney. it's a shame it turned out that way

Flint VGC

Smash Cadet
Why did you advertise so late?
Advertising got out late for a number of reasons, mostly centering around the fact that the main people organizing this event (NOT part of the UM-Flint VGC, mind you) had very poor communication and were slow at making decisions, and then sponsors dropped out because of it, and the website wasn't even up-to-date (it was advertising an incorrect date and almost no event details were posted) until just over a week before the event.

Hell, I even designed flyers and postcards and had 1000 of each printed and shipped to us on a rush order over a month ago, and they decided not to distribute them until after Thanksgiving...

Roller

Smash Legend
If you guys advertise a month or 2 in advance next time, and try to pick a date when another Michigan tourney isn't going on, then I think you will get a much better turn out.

I hope you decide to host more! I'll be at the next one if I can make it and know about it a little further in advance.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Awesome to see that Derk still plays.

Yeah, hopefully I can come next year when you guys do things on your own. Last year was one of the funnest tourneys I've been to. :D

Top Bottom