• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flare Blitz Clanking on Samus' Bombs

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
So this got posted over on the Samus boards.

It seems pretty consistent. Given the low damage and knockback for bomb, what is going on here? Thought you charizard mains might have some insight.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
The same thing happens with Link/Tink's bombs and DHD's cans (along with a few others).

Essentially, Samus' bomb is treated as an obstruction rather than a projectile so Charizard's Flare Blitz won't tank it the way it would with anything else that doesn't hit hard enough to break the heavy armor. He just kinda explodes like he is hitting another character or a wall.

It's kinda dumb but oh well. We could all use another reason not to yolo flare blitz from neutral.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
The same thing happens with Link/Tink's bombs and DHD's cans (along with a few others).

Essentially, Samus' bomb is treated as an obstruction rather than a projectile so Charizard's Flare Blitz won't tank it the way it would with anything else that doesn't hit hard enough to break the heavy armor. He just kinda explodes like he is hitting another character or a wall.

It's kinda dumb but oh well. We could all use another reason not to yolo flare blitz from neutral.
Nah, Samus' bomb doesn't have a hurt box. Fully charged charge shot clanks with Clay, link bombs, etc. Charge shot always passes through bomb.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
I think it's because of how it works. It detonates when it makes contact with a character which means it's programmed with at least some properties of a hurtbox.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
Nah, Samus' bomb doesn't have a hurt box. Fully charged charge shot clanks with Clay, link bombs, etc. Charge shot always passes through bomb.
I'm not entirely sure how any of this is related.

A wall does not have a hurtbox (afaik) either. Samus' Charge Shot is a projectile. We are talking about a heavy armor move here.

It's well known that Zard's Flare Blitz has pretty unique/wonky physics. I'm not entirely sure how or why what happens happens but Flare Blitz straight up does not go through some things it ought to based on the amount of heavy armor it has. These things include but are certainly not limited to: DHD's can, DHD's clay pigeon, Samus' bomb, Link's bomb, Tink's bomb, Dedede's Gordo, and probably a few more (Greninja? Villager? Bowser Jr?).

It's a weird thing.

Gijsbeer

Smash Cadet
I think it's because of how it works. It detonates when it makes contact with a character which means it's programmed with at least some properties of a hurtbox.
Samus bombs actually dont explode on contact. Touching saamus bomb would activaty proximity mode, after which it would detonate on contact. However, flareblitz is fast enough ast to were it should be able to fly past at first since even the slowest characters can run past bombs

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I'm not entirely sure how any of this is related.

A wall does not have a hurtbox (afaik) either. Samus' Charge Shot is a projectile. We are talking about a heavy armor move here.

It's well known that Zard's Flare Blitz has pretty unique/wonky physics. I'm not entirely sure how or why what happens happens but Flare Blitz straight up does not go through some things it ought to based on the amount of heavy armor it has. These things include but are certainly not limited to: DHD's can, DHD's clay pigeon, Samus' bomb, Link's bomb, Tink's bomb, Dedede's Gordo, and probably a few more (Greninja? Villager? Bowser Jr?).

It's a weird thing.
Can = hurtbox
Clay=hurtbox
Link bomb=hurtbox
Gordo=hurtbox
Lloid=hurt box
Bowser Jr. Mechakoopa=hurtbox

These have hurtboxes.

This could be it.

Samus bombs actually dont explode on contact. Touching saamus bomb would activaty proximity mode, after which it would detonate on contact. However, flareblitz is fast enough ast to were it should be able to fly past at first since even the slowest characters can run past bombs
Bomb does go off on contact after a given period of time. I just doesn't go off on contact right away.

Top Bottom