• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Flame Choke to Turn around Up Smash

MGK

Smash Apprentice
I've done some research and have learnt that if you flame choke your opponent and then miss the tech into roll behind, Ganondorf's Up Smash can connect. This is amazing at low % cos Up Smash can lead into a aerial.

This is a list of characters that it works on and how long you can charge for. (Note that I'm using DI during the side B so results might change)

Hit On Roll start up.

:4yoshi: :4sheik::4palutena::4wiifit:

Weird timing, can't really explain how long you need to charge for but you can hit them.

:4peach::4lucario:

The roll isn't long enough to avoid or they're roll is too slow to avoid.

:rosalina: (Minus Luma)

:4wario2::4gaw::4marth::4zss::4robinm:
:4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4greninja::4falcon::4shulk:
:4lucina::4sonic::4cloud::4corrin:

This still hits at half charged, but I got random times where they didn't go through to get hit.

:4bowserjr::4tlink::4duckhunt::4kirby::4dedede:
:4rob::4villager::4pacman:

This is a list of characters that when they try to roll behind Ganondorf, they get stuck and take a nearly fully charged Up Smash. (No turn around involved)

:4bowser: :4charizard: :4diddy:

* For these Characters, if you get them right near the ledge, Up Smash Covers all options but get up attack from a missed tech. So use this wisely! :4ganondorf:

Follow Ups:

Flame choke > Up Smash > Nair (52 - 55%)

This Combo works from 0 - 10% roughly on most characters. Most % combo of them all.

Flame Choke > Up Smash > Uair (45%)

This Combo works from 0 - 24% roughly on most characters. After roughly 14% is when you need to Double Jump Uair to connect. This is the best option IMO.

Flame Choke > Up Smash > Fair (51%)

This combo works at really small and random %'s. It's generally better to go for it at Full Hop as you can B-Cancel it if it misses. This % is roughly around 14 - 20% and if they Air dodge, Side B can catch them off guard.

On the characters that don't quite roll pass Ganondorf (The 4th List), they pop up a bit behind you, so you can actually Bair them. (50%)

Conclusion

In conclusion, this is a great option coverage at low % as the combo does massive amounts of % and can lead to stealing a opponents jump or even a panic air dodge / aerial and get even more %. Lastly, I noticed you can actually also do a running Up Smash against the characters that roll too far but seems too risky / not guaranteed so I left it out. Have fun with this and keep on reading your opponents! :4ganondorf:

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Don't wanna be wrong nut I'm pretty sure that Little Mac doesn't go over Ganondorf when rolling.
And speaking of this he isn't anywhere.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Great work as always. When you say "too slow to avoid," you mean that at most timings the hit will connect?

MGK

Smash Apprentice
Don't wanna be wrong nut I'm pretty sure that Little Mac doesn't go over Ganondorf when rolling.
And speaking of this he isn't anywhere.
This is true but for some reason, If you don't turn around and charge Up Smash, little mac goes through you and if you do turn around and Up Smash, he doesn't .... If that makes sense? So pretty much, he got weird results and test for yourself to understand. :)

Great work as always. When you say "too slow to avoid," you mean that at most timings the hit will connect?
"Too slow to avoid" pretty much means that they roll too far if you charge too long and it misses (Pretty much a full charged Up Smash). But the roll is so slow, hitting them isn't too much of a problem and you can get it consistent cos the timing is so easy. So in short, yes, charging a Up Smash will most likely always hit. (Instant Up Smash and Full charge Up Smash will miss)

Last edited:

TheOrangeJacket

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheOrangeJacket
Do you think it's possible for you to figure out the kill percents that up smash kills at?

MGK

Smash Apprentice
Do you think it's possible for you to figure out the kill percents that up smash kills at?
I could but I'm sure it's a safe bet that around 80% on floaties and 125% on Heavies on FD without rage. Also, if Ganondorf gets the opponent with side B at the ledge, if they miss tech it and we get hit by fTilt, that move kills way earlier or puts them in a edge guard situation.

Just remember this is a great options at low %, not really for killing as other options are a lot better.

MGK

Smash Apprentice
What about flame choke to down smash?
This pretty much hits everyone but a few such as Ike. It's a great option, for miss techs (Half Charge) and if they do tech it (instant) and it guaranteed 33% if I'm not mistaken. uSmash though leads into follow ups at low %, so choose either one at higher %, do you want your opponent above you or edge guarding?

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
But why upsmash
When i could dair? Then dair the missed tech? Then dair them after they panic airdodge?

Last edited:

MGK

Smash Apprentice
But why upsmash
When i could dair? Then dair the missed tech? Then dair them after they panic airdodge?
Fair enough, but uSmash lags less, does more % and can trap opponents like Diddy, Bowser and Charizard at the edge. Up to you of course, just another option. :)

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
So I know the start-up on Usmash and Fsmash is 21 frames, and the startup on Dsmash is 15, but if I'm charging one of them, and then I release the charge what is the startup? I'd imagine it's less because it seems like there's a few frames of preparing to charge

mgleed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mgleed
MGK MGK Is everyone who isn't on these lists immune? And did you test this out vs. Ganon & Mii's as well?

Last edited:

MGK

Smash Apprentice
Everyone who isn't on the list is either still invincible, they don't roll far enough to avoid it but for some reason they are still invincible passed a full charged uSmash (DK and the Pits) or they roll too far where you'll need to dash forward and uSmash. I have that in the conclusion and reasons why I felt it out cos even though it says it's a combo, I got mixed results when I shielded for my opponent. So I'm assuming the timing can be hard to get.

I don't think I did the mii's, so when I have time, I'll do some quick test and share the results as soon as I can.

Top Bottom