• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Tourney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
So I attended my very first Smash 4 Tourney in Gainesville, Florida. There were 120 entrances and it was a great experience. I decided to go Duck Hunt the whole tourney and wound up getting into top 16. I was so proud!! In my pool I had professionals like Ryo (Ike), Dyr (Diddy), Jazz (Fox), and so on. Duck Hunt did good against everyone and proved to be very viable for tourney. Had some trouble with StaicManny's Sonic who I eventually lost to as well as Jazz, Ryo, and a Samus player who goes by the name of Depth (Great Samus player). The losses came not from Duck Hunt being a bad character (for I beat out two Rosalina's, a Sheik and fared pretty well against the winner of the tourney's Sonic [StaticManny's]), but my tourney inexperience as well as the skill gap between me and the professionals.

What I am saying is keep practicing with Duck Hunt people! Don't be discouraged about playing him, with the right hands he can beat anyone! #BackToTheLab:4duckhunt:

Ps: Don't be afraid to ask questions regarding my feel on the matchups in the tourney.

Ninetale3

Smash Cadet
Congrats on making it to top 16.

Since sonic's homing attack targets you instead of the projectiles. Did the match up feel different or was it the same? I was wondering since it seems like it would be easier for sonic to punish Duck Hunt.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Dang dude, Congrats! That's pretty inspiring to hear! After playing (and getting whooped by) a lot of Sheiks, Captain Falcons and other rushdown characters, I've started to doubt in my Duck Hunt abilities. Readin' this is really uplifting!

How did you manage to overcome the Rosalina matchup? Rosalina mains are pretty scarce in our local scene so I don't get much practice against 'em often. Any advice?

Last edited:

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Congrats on making it to top 16.

Since sonic's homing attack targets you instead of the projectiles. Did the match up feel different or was it the same? I was wondering since it seems like it would be easier for sonic to punish Duck Hunt.
Thanks!! At first it seems like that would be the case, but honestly really good Sonics don't use the homing attack a lot and If so use it sparingly. If I heard the sound I would immediately shield and punish with an up air. It just comes down to reaction. But it didn't change the matchup much.

Last edited:

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Dang dude, Congrats! That's pretty inspiring to hear! After playing (and getting whooped by) a lot of Sheiks, Captain Falcons and other rushdown characters, I've started to doubt in my Duck Hunt abilities. Readin' this is really uplifting!

How did you manage to overcome the Rosalina matchup? Rosalina mains are pretty scarce in our local scene so I don't get much practice against 'em often. Any advice?
Thanks !! And when it comes to this matchup I tend to rely on my aerials more to keep space between us. Connecting on Fairs allowed me to follow up with grabs, another fair, or even the clay pigeon. Stay out of the air because she beats us every time, try to recover safely by either putting out a gunmen or shooting a can right above you as you Up B. I also found it helpful to bait the Gravitational Pull by throwing my can near her. When they use it I quickly run up and punish. Also throw out Gunmen to disrupt approaches and force shield. The matchup takes some time to master, but once you get the hang of it it's not bad.

I also faced a Sheik and at first it proved difficult because of her speed, but once I set up my projectiles it became much easier. Stay mobile (Same thing with Cap). Keep moving and disrupting approaches with the clay pigeon, then follow up. Make them play your game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom