• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Impressions: Sonic X

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=1204]First Impressions: Sonic X[/drupal]

I was curious to know what the Japanese version of Sonic X was like, because I've only seen a handful of episodes of the crappy 4kids dub of it. I'm probably going to be bias about if I like it or not because when I was younger Sonic was one of my favorite characters. So I dug around online and saw the first episode subbed. Before I get onto my impressions, I would like to blame 4kids for making this so bloody hard to find.

First thing I noticed was that the music was reminiscent of the tunes of the early Sonic games, plus 100 coolness points there. But I was kind of annoyed by the fact that Big made a brief appearance, so that's minus 50 coolness points. One thing that I liked was that they explained how Sonic started out in this fantasy-like world from the Sega Genesis Sonic games but ended up in a modern city in Sonic Adventure 2 onward. I think that all of the characters have their same voice actors from Sonic Adventure 2 but I'm probably wrong, but I don't have any complaints on the voices. Except Cream just because she wasn't around when the series was still good (any Sonic game released in and before 2001, and before the fans flame me there are a few exceptions). But that's just me, so I guess her voice was fine.

The Japanese version of Sonic X isn't quite what I'd label a "kids" show, I would label it "enjoyable by all ages" kind of like a Pixtar movie. Yeah it's not one of the best animes I've seen but it isn't terrible. It's actually fun to watch, although that might just be nostalgia working it's evil ways. So to sum up my first impressions, Sonic X is a fun little show that you can enjoy regardless of age but you'll probably only enjoy it if you're a fan of Sonic already (or the old series anyway).

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
If you continue to watch it though, there's the possibility you'll come to hate Chris. Even when it comes to the original, in many ways he can't contribute to anything the Sonic cast does, especially in battles, but the show tries to make it seem like he's more important than the rest, something that doesn't really bode well with me, a dedicated Sonic fan. I don't mean to speak for you, of course, as you may see his role differently.

The original is definitely better. Still not overwhelmingly awesome (I blame its excessive use of the monster-of-the-week formula for that), but it can be quite funny at times, even for a grown man like me (if you consider 20 being old). Most of the main characters also seem more like themselves in the original than the 4Kids dub - you really get to see Sonic's "cocky" side in the raw version, although I must mention that Eggman becomes more comedic here.

finalark

SNORLAX
If you continue to watch it though, there's the possibility you'll come to hate Chris.

(...)but it can be quite funny at times
I've only seen the first episode, but I could tell that Chris was a pointless character only put in for the sake of trying to get the plot rolling.

When Sonic told kids not to stand on moving cars, well, that put a smile on my face. The series has it's share of funny moments if episode 1 has anything to say.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Meh, I only saw a couple episodes, but I thought they were pretty lame.

Nothing can beat SatAM and its killer theme song.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Chris is a pointless character- he is only there to fill in roles that other characters had in the game, which doesn't make sense.

I did enjoy Sonic X during the rare episodes that featured Sonic.

Top Bottom