• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finishing off a stock

Cang

Smash Rookie
Ok so I'm new around here, like hours new. I attended my first event, MOAL 18 (A PGH event) last Friday. And I used Peach (and Ness for one game but that's irrelevant). I had no problem racking up the damage on a stock (dairs, nairs, dsmash, fsmash reads) and staying alive (I lived to 220% on one stock vs Ness). I had a problem however finishing off my opponents stock. In two situations, once vs a Doc and another vs Ness, I was up a stock with ~70% on my opponent and still lost. I have to work on the timing and precise ness of the the fairs and nairs but what are some other tips for just completing the stock (and sometimes the game)? Any help is most appreciated.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Don't forget Forward Throw is often a solid kill option. You have some offstage advantage, so don't be afraid to float out and hit someone with a Nair or something. Turnip edgegaurds help, and a lot of people edgeguard by doing Dairs right over/under the edge, which can lead into Nair. UpSmash can kill, but it needs to be sweetspotted so don't rely on it too much,

Cang

Smash Rookie
Don't forget Forward Throw is often a solid kill option. You have some offstage advantage, so don't be afraid to float out and hit someone with a Nair or something. Turnip edgegaurds help, and a lot of people edgeguard by doing Dairs right over/under the edge, which can lead into Nair. UpSmash can kill, but it needs to be sweetspotted so don't rely on it too much,
The problem is when I was playing Doc, my opponent would just use that cape to repel my turnips. And funny you mention Fthrow, I hit him with that on Yoshis Island (the big platform one) about at the right most edge of the platform- and with 142 damage he lived with good DI. On the last stock.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
The problem is when I was playing Doc, my opponent would just use that cape to repel my turnips. And funny you mention Fthrow, I hit him with that on Yoshis Island (the big platform one) about at the right most edge of the platform- and with 142 damage he lived with good DI. On the last stock.
Wait, which Yoshi's Island? You mean the one without the pipes right?

TopKek.GG

スーパー かわいい <3
For me, I find it extremely difficult to get a KO in the neutral game. What works for me best is getting them off stage asap and using Peach's glorious float to chase after them and use her glorious aerials. NAir usually works best for me, though FAir works nicely too.

Angrycuban

Smash Journeyman
getting the kill is kinda peaches biggest problem IMO. Forward throw is definitely your best option. If you wanna kill someone below 140ish % you need to gimp/ edgeguard with turnips and fairs off stage and stuff though

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
In the end, to be a decent Peach, you need to get comfortable in Predicting. Up smash is a decent kill move on hit stunned opponents, but takes amazing prediction because most enemies you'd be doing it on have good down-airs. You can pray for a stitch, which is always reliable to kill, and the frying pan does a decent job. But the only way you're really going to solidify the kill is throwing offstage and getting comfortable with Peach off of the ledge. Offstage is where most people panic, as their number one priority is to return to center stage (unless you're a god, like Armada, Mango, M2k ect who think that offstage IS the stage) and you have full advantage, as long as you aren't panicking as well. Just remember-- you have options to return to the stage. More options than almost any other character in any Smash game. Float, Amazing Double Jump, Side-B, Up-B and it's glide mechanics, and air dodging upwards all are return options. You have nothing to fear with only the blast zone below you. Your opponent does. Your goal is to treat every stage like it's a walk off for you. B-air combos, N-air offstage, turnip throws-- especially from above them, even u-airs-- which are a great offstage killer. DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE OFFSTAGE GAME-- that's the key to Peach

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
In the end, to be a decent Peach, you need to get comfortable in Predicting. Up smash is a decent kill move on hit stunned opponents, but takes amazing prediction because most enemies you'd be doing it on have good down-airs. You can pray for a stitch, which is always reliable to kill, and the frying pan does a decent job. But the only way you're really going to solidify the kill is throwing offstage and getting comfortable with Peach off of the ledge. Offstage is where most people panic, as their number one priority is to return to center stage (unless you're a god, like Armada, Mango, M2k ect who think that offstage IS the stage) and you have full advantage, as long as you aren't panicking as well. Just remember-- you have options to return to the stage. More options than almost any other character in any Smash game. Float, Amazing Double Jump, Side-B, Up-B and it's glide mechanics, and air dodging upwards all are return options. You have nothing to fear with only the blast zone below you. Your opponent does. Your goal is to treat every stage like it's a walk off for you. B-air combos, N-air offstage, turnip throws-- especially from above them, even u-airs-- which are a great offstage killer. DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE OFFSTAGE GAME-- that's the key to Peach
In regards of returning to the stage, Toad can also be used once as it gives you a slight boost. Though you do sit there for quite the while as she puts him away. I completely forgot about Uair, it's so underused!!

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
In regards of returning to the stage, Toad can also be used once as it gives you a slight boost. Though you do sit there for quite the while as she puts him away. I completely forgot about Uair, it's so underused!!
It's really strong too. I'll often float and throw out 2 or 3 because it forces the opponent away, and let's you land

_Keno_

Smash Lord
My input:

Killing usually only possible at edge or off-stage.
Turnips -> shield pressure to force people out of center stage. Usually free grab -> f-throw if they dont budge.
Nair and bair to ledgeguard
F-throw is edge good killer if you can jab and then quickly do it before they realize to DI it (it's so fast now).
If you're recovering high and someone tries to jump into you, d-air to falling u-air can kill them (but make sure you dont die that high!)
Peach usually kills to the side, so stages with short sides and high ceilings are better for her.
Peach's melee advantage of incredible recovery applies to many characters now, so wide stages aren't always a good option, especially due to kill power.
Full-jump nair near the edge or FC nair out of shield is a quick, surprising kill move near ledges.

I just won my first decent-sized tournament (44 entrants) mostly with my melee knowledge (it feels like PM peach is melee Peach on steroids). I would say that the majority of my kills came from nairs and f-throws near/off the ledge.

Last edited:

Angrycuban

Smash Journeyman
My input:

Killing usually only possible at edge or off-stage.
Turnips -> shield pressure to force people out of center stage. Usually free grab -> f-throw if they dont budge.
Nair and bair to ledgeguard
F-throw is edge good killer if you can jab and then quickly do it before they realize to DI it (it's so fast now).
If you're recovering high and someone tries to jump into you, d-air to falling u-air can kill them (but make sure you die that high!)
Peach usually kills to the side, so stages with short sides and high ceilings are better for her.
Peach's melee advantage of incredible recovery applies to many characters now, so wide stages aren't always a good option, especially due to kill power.
Full-jump nair near the edge or FC nair out of shield is a quick, surprising kill move near ledges.

I just won my first decent-sized tournament (44 entrants) mostly with my melee knowledge (it feels like PM peach is melee Peach on steroids). I would say that the majority of my kills came from nairs and f-throws near/off the ledge.
young aspiring peach mains, read this, study this, use this... <3 :D

_Keno_

Smash Lord
In response to earlier comments, you shouldn't really looking at up-smash to be "the kill move" for peach. It's by far one of slowest and most limited options, but it does have huge priority and if someone is dumb enough to commit to a laggy attack against you from the air (some down-airs, glides, and specific b-moves), go for it. I wouldn't count on getting even 1/20 of my kills from it if the enemy is decently smart though. However, on fat characters like DK and Charz, you can d-throw upsmash if they DI wrong (which isn't that uncommon, but be sure to mix it up so they don't learn how to DI it!)

An alternative to f-throw near the ledge is d-throw and then nair, which can also kill if they DI the d-throw wrong.

Turnip edgeguard by jumping out and throwing either forward or down is still viable (forward if recovering high, down into their path if recovering low), but recoveries are pretty dang good in this game.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
In response to earlier comments, you shouldn't really looking at up-smash to be "the kill move" for peach. It's by far one of slowest and most limited options, but it does have huge priority and if someone is dumb enough to commit to a laggy attack against you from the air (some down-airs, glides, and specific b-moves), go for it. I wouldn't count on getting even 1/20 of my kills from it if the enemy is decently smart though. However, on fat characters like DK and Charz, you can d-throw upsmash if they DI wrong (which isn't that uncommon, but be sure to mix it up so they don't learn how to DI it!)

An alternative to f-throw near the ledge is d-throw and then nair, which can also kill if they DI the d-throw wrong.

Turnip edgeguard by jumping out and throwing either forward or down is still viable (forward if recovering high, down into their path if recovering low), but recoveries are pretty dang good in this game.
everybody here is wayyyyy sleeping on dthrow to DACUS. sorry, but like, i get mad kills off this combo. works on everyone except FFers or like, jiggs. kills most of them right around 100, with many less than that due to slow fallspeeds or stages with lower ceilings. nobody believes it because they havent seen it in video yet since all of the peach players are melee players, and that in itself is a very small portion of people. this is literally going to be standard peach meta, provided people still play her competitively in PM

Last edited:

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Peach can DACUS, like brawl dacus? How far does she slide and how tight is the window? I've never seen or heard of this.

Anyone have a video of this in action? This could be great...

And if it is, just wait til they're done balancing characters before implementing this so peach doesnt get nerfed. xD

Last edited:

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
Unlike characters like Fox that have hit confirms on kill moves, Peach has to rely on punishes or edge-guarding to finish a stock, which is not entirely bad, because she is freaking amazing in doing so.

F-Throws can be DI'd and they are not a reliable finisher (Just DI up and you survive for more 80% lolz) though they put your enemy into a situation where he can get edgeguarded. Sniping with a turnip or a quick gimp will solve your problem.

D-Throws can lead to Up-Smashes/Nairs in some floaty characters when they don't DI properly, and if they do, you can tech chase them.

Analyze and theorycraft the matchup and evaluate your best options to guarantee a kill before pressing start to enter the game. It helps a lot :p

Top Bottom