• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finally, vids posted!

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: YEHS @ this music!

I'm going to update this later, if I can, but I just wanted to point out--

At 1:24 of the first video with Falcon...THAT WAS TASTY OM NOM NOM

No, but seriously, awesome forward tilt, I was wondering if it was gonna connect. It looked quite hot.

WOW WTF @ that first stock on FD! That was pretty awesome.

Hmm, this Falcon has very unfortunate teching/not-teching patterns. x_x On top of that, he's not spamming grabs near enough. I'd say that's probably why you're getting away with the majority of your CCs and attempted CCs. You seem to have okay timing, though.

You're probably still working on your game, but I highly suggest learning how to DJC combo. I was quite vehemently opposed to DJC comboing about a year and a half ago, but I've worked it into my game quite a bit since then and it makes fights against fastfallers so much easier. I saw times where you up tilted and a DJC combo from that would have made that kid's mom call the cops on your Yoshi, but you never used any--connecting with more up tilts is okay, but it's one of the easiest moves to DI out of, so just be aware of that.

Right, forgot one last thing--don't getup attack from the ledge or from a missed tech so much. Every now and then is optimal; spamming it gets you kneed, however.

Yeah, other than that, good stuff.

**two-step**

D

Deleted member

Shizam! Nice Yoshi man, but even better music choice :p. I liked ur utilt juggles but liek shiri said, its fairly easy to DI out of. I would DJC ur uair when using that, and DJC some of those nairs too. I liked some of ur rapid shielding and unshielding, not sure if it was unpurpose or not, but i love doin that :p Lets see, Im not good at giving advice, but, ummm... i dunno, pretty solid yoshi, but main thing is to utilize ur DJC a bit more, also, RDJC is nice for fakeouts and continuing combos., and on that second match, i saw u bair and u couldve then RDJC into a nair, dealing damage, and setting up for an edgeguard. There is probably some other stuff u need to work on but i cant tell/dont feel like looking. Better yoshi than mine anyways so good job (not like being better than me is hard).

bigman40

Smash Master
thx yeah I was never fully able to get the DJC into my playing style, but I'll work on those.
BTW the last set of my vids are uploading right now, so as they upload i'll work on my DJC :)
Edit: what would be the best time to use the DJC? most of the time when I tried to incorporate it I end up doing it too late.

:yoshi: YEHS @ this music!
WOW WTF @ that first stock on FD! That was pretty awesome.
I'm glad you like the music. My friend had no sound so I had to improvise. Thx. Also when I go back and look at that match, I tend to think about how good I was able to read his movements.

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
planning on adding my own indepth commentary/gripes/nitpicking on the matches later.

I'm kinda sleepy here, so I wouldn't do a good job of it even if I forced myself, but I'm seeing... 6 matches with Yoshi? Is this right?

bigman40

Smash Master
planning on adding my own indepth commentary/gripes/nitpicking on the matches later.

I'm kinda sleepy here, so I wouldn't do a good job of it even if I forced myself, but I'm seeing... 6 matches with Yoshi? Is this right?
yeah it's six of them. the other matches are my other mains (except bowser).

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
As with others I've done I'll be doing an analysis as I watch them.

Match 1: Scat(yoshi) vs NSKE(roy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtV-DLbp2jw

Right away I can see excellent use of ftilt to start up combos. If you can, try using utilt as well(to start or follow up), it works to follow up pretty well at lower percents.

At 1:06, in situations like that I think it would be better to follow your opponent with an aerial attack rather than waiting on the groundd. If you wait for them to fall down from a height like that, most likely you'll end up missing.

1:14 was a very risky move as well. You could easily have been fsmashed off without a jump

1:40 was kinda silly with a charged usmash as well. I would have prefered fsmash there

Yeah, nm about that utilt comment. I just saw a combo with that at the end.

Whoa, just realized I didn't start from the first. Silly youtube video bar >.>

Match 2: Scat(yoshi) vs. NSKE(C.Falcon)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsMi81rD9nM

Nice use of non-tech punishing here, though that first stock of yours could have ended a bit more gracefully(don't worry we all hate doing that - I think).

Good combo on his second stock as well. One little gripe I have on it is 0:53 - fair? Could have been input mistake, but I would have thought uair would be more suitable

I think you were fortunate that your friend was screwing up a lot of his aerials nearing the end(particularly all those wild knee approaches)

Match 3: Scat(yoshi) vs NSKE(C.Falcon)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v3V3uxGEUU

I dunno if your friend is trying to or not, but he should really tech out of those combos. You're punishing him way too easily thanks to that.

I don't know if I should say anymore. You played really well on this match to make it a little too one-sided. Your platform chasing does need some work, though.

Match 4: Scat(yoshi) vs NSKE(C.Falcon)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_2YWnkbkOY

Battlefield again?

I'm noticing that you're trying to position yourself with rolls more than you did in the other three videos I watched. Was there any reason to it?

I'm seeing more issues with platform chasing, but it's not hurting your game much. It's still there, though.

I think your edgeguards need some work as well. Bringer mentioned in that "me no likey captian falcon" topic that you want to edgehog Falcon so he can't sweetspot and force him to land on the stage so you can dsmash him.

Match 5: Scat(yoshi) vs NSKE(roy) Btw, you labelled this wrong. NSKE's playing as Roy, not Falcon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kux8PjIq9lw

That first one I watched was actually the fourth so I think I'm back on order again.

Something I think that would help you more is to try DJCing some of your aerials, like those bairs, fairs or nairs.

One instance would be 1:10-1:12, I would rather have come down to lure him into an attack instead of down+b(but you'd have to untumble first), DJC and do something like nair to get him off. This assumes he'd fall for it and how close you have to get in order for him to try an attack.

I think one of the big issues I'm seeing here is not your playstyle, but your friend's. He's not following up his setups as well as I think he would(at least with Roy).

Match 6: Scat(yoshi) vs. NSKE(C.Falcon)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMpWUO6oeWg

Ah, right away I see a nice combo then some issues edgeguarding Falcon again. I think your timing's off on that one, you're charging the smash too early.

Also, when recovering imo(1:19 - 1:23 mainly), you want to make landing back on the stage your first priority, especially with Yoshi. You can't do much without that second jump - try doing down+b to catch the ledge if he's edgeguarding, or just land if he's not.

Looks like you were a little late on 1:53, though I wouldn't blame you too much there.

That Falcon edgeguard issue comes up again on 2:50 - waiting with a dsmash or similar would have benefited more, or even an instant edgehog.

3:12 would have opened up some wallcombo to at least 20% if you did some more dtilt. Maybe it's just me.

Also, to both of you... charging your smashes like that when your opponent can still retaliate, usually a bad idea(4:29 comes to mind).

Alright, so I'm seeing some consistent issues that you might want to work on...
-Lack of DJC?
-Edgeguarding Captain Falcon - remember to edgehog to force him to land. Take advantage of the landing lag.
-Platform chasing. Generally when you combo someone and they land on a platform, you still have the advantage. Utilize it - you might need to DJC the attack.
-Recovery. When you use your second jump while getting back, you should be focusing on getting back safely, not landing more hits. If you get knocked off again if you whiff your attack/don't even land, that's going to hurt you a lot.
-Random down+bs in the air. Er, why?
-Rolling to position yourself. Though it's not as bad as some cases(I was one myself), you're fortunate that your opponent doesn't know how to fully punish it yet.
-Might just be my own opinion, but I didn't see many eggs being used.

That's not to say I don't like your Yoshi, in fact I love the combos you've been doing with him.

Your friend's Roy should really utilize the setups though. He let you get away from a lot of them.

D

Deleted member

Just re-emphisizing this, cuz i saw some more of your matches. You must learn to DJC. Your Yoshi is good, but if u can incorperate DJCs, it would be so much better.

bigman40

Smash Master
thanks for the inputs. Yeah, DJC was something I never incoporated into my system, and now i'm trying to get used to the c-stick. Oh and the down b, I used them to try to get my friend off-guard.
BTW ty for pointing out that match. I got sleepy while putting these vids up. And yeah we been doing randoms so i'm not surprised that it had battlefield alot.

bigman40

Smash Master
ok, but most of the times I play people who have a lighter character, and most of the time they fly pretty high into the air after an uair. So when I think about those DJC, I only see myself countering my opponent moves (except NSKE), and most of those times, I come in too late (get shield- grabbed).

D

Deleted member

ok, but most of the times I play people who have a lighter character, and most of the time they fly pretty high into the air after an uair. So when I think about those DJC, I only see myself countering my opponent moves (except NSKE), and most of those times, I come in too late (get shield- grabbed).
Why would u not DJC an uair if u want to juggle. It doesnt really matter how far they fly, u still wanna DJC it so u come to the ground quicker and thus can continue the juggle faster. It has many more uses besides juggling too.

bigman40

Smash Master
Why would u not DJC an uair if u want to juggle. It doesnt really matter how far they fly, u still wanna DJC it so u come to the ground quicker and thus can continue the juggle faster. It has many more uses besides juggling too.
I would use DJC uair for the fast fallers, but to ones that float it would mess up my timing (get punished for bad timing too). Not only that, someone like peach, one uair sends them high into the air (from me anyways). So I mostly started learning combos that would keep them closer to the ground for more comboing.

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
I would use DJC uair for the fast fallers, but to ones that float it would mess up my timing (get punished for bad timing too). Not only that, someone like peach, one uair sends them high into the air (from me anyways). So I mostly started learning combos that would keep them closer to the ground for more comboing.
Keeping them near the ground is fine and all, but there are many setups that will eventually leave opponents way too high for you to hit with an attack. I've seen you try that in several of those vids.

Really, it's just up to practice on landing those DJC aerials correctly. Against Peach it's more of a tricky issue thanks to her attacks usually out-prioritizing yours...

If they're too high of a percent to keep juggling, you could always knock them off with a nair. Remember that the first frame of the sex kick does the most damage and knockback anyway. Plus, if they're expecting the juggle, they would try to dodge it - anticipate it and activate your attack later.

Of course you can't be a one trick pony, you gotta mix it up and I see from those vids that you already have a nice mix already set up... at least against NSKE.

The only case where the nair wouldn't work for more knockback(that I can think of) against a floaty is Samus.

bigman40

Smash Master
One thing I wanted to put into my game was the grabs, but because of the crucial timing needed to land one or more it makes me ask when would be good moments to utilize grabs (both his normal grabs and his b grabs)?

Straight

Smash Journeyman
Good example of a decent falcon player losing due to a lack of yoshi experience and/or not knowing what to do against a yoshi.

bigman40

Smash Master
Good example of a decent falcon player losing due to a lack of yoshi experience and/or not knowing what to do against a yoshi.
Lol funny thing about that is that I play with him all the time and he sitll can't change up his strats to combat mine :chuckle:. He really hasn't learned anything day after day (of him coming to demand smash) of me beating him 8:2 times. Now I just stopped avoiding him cause his game is identical to a lvl 10 computer.

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
Good, effective Yoshi as I've posted in your previous You-tube videos. Your new videos are okay, but the one against the Falco was good. Now, if only if you can face off against an opponent almost equal to your skills would you be able to impress me.

(Btw: Have you ever thought about using eggs?)

bigman40

Smash Master
Yeah, i have thought about using eggs before, and i'm figuring out a few spots in my game for them. I know of a few good players near my school, but they won't play until a tournament hosted on feb 1st. If I can get a game near my county (stone mountain), then I could probably find someone and post earlier.

bigman40

Smash Master
Even though most people are looking for brawl vids, I'm going to have a few double matches (maybe some singles) posted from a tournament being hosted later today. Wish me and my partner luck!
Sry for the double post.

D

Deleted member

Good luck man, and i expect to see the new vids, and maybe ill get some up myself. Moar DJCs plz =P

bigman40

Smash Master
Alright, unfortunately, I got some bad luck and faced the winners of the tournament in the second round but still they were pretty decent matches.

WARNING: I DON'T HAVE A GOOD RECORDER SO THE TV SCREEN IS CAPTURED WITH THE GAMEPLAY, AND I HAVE NO SOUND TO THEM. (forgot to put sound in them.....)

I'll edit this post when they finish uploading. Also, I'll see if I can get my roomates recorder and get more matches down (more 1v1s). His is MUCH better than mines anyway.

EDIT: Here are the vids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJq4qOiS8ws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrN_2HNzL5w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SszBhpGHt4c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab2MBdxfX_Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Ytp8hD-Fs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCJ0uLXLt8g

......alright.....now i'm sleepy so i'm going to sleep.....

Top Bottom