• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finally Joined Smashboards!

SyMag

Smash Cadet
NNID
PKThunda
3DS FC
1805-2965-9302
This has been a long time coming, me joining the forums. Very recently have I gotten more serious about competitive Smash (more on this soon!), and I figured I'd make my way onto here and get more acquainted with everyone!

So yeah, the name's SyMag. I'm from Pennsylvania, currently finishing up college and I guess eventually getting a big boy job, even though I'm working 39 hours a week already xD In case nobody knows, Pennsylvania is pretty much a dead zone for Smash players outside of Philly and Pittsburgh, but a couple of my friends and myself are starting to get interest for the game going in Central PA; definitely excited to see how it looks in the following year! And yes, a group of us attend tournaments (some of us went to Fight Pitt IV); I myself just started attending tourneys this year. It's definitely a change to just playing with friends and screwing around, but the energy and passion that players have when playing is incredible. I'm still not 100% familiar with all of the technical terms, but I'm learning; eventually I'd love to try my hand at commentating; something about it just seems so cool to me.

Outside of the Smash community, I love just hanging with friends and playing other games. Usually it's Towerfall or Mario Party, any party game really. I'm a HUGE fan of Corvettes; nerd time here, but I can tell you what year a certain Corvette was built in just by looking at it. I'm a fan of racing--no, not NASCAR, we're talking racing that throws more into the track than just left turns. Naturally, my favorite team is Corvette Racing. I don't really have much time to watch TV anymore, but South Park and Breaking Bad are my favorite shows (can't wait for Better Call Saul!). I'm indifferent to any one type of movie, though romance isn't really my thing. I can handle most music (country, modern pop, and most country, though, are out); favorite band is Rage Against the Machine.

Alright, now for the juicy bit: who I play as and why, and why I'm on Smashboards. I almost exclusively play PM with a little bit of Melee on the side. Melee was my first game, got it for Christmas back in '02 when I was 10. I didn't know about the competitive scene back then since I was homeschooled and shut away from the world then, not to mention I didn't really have anyone to play with. I got Brawl just before I turned 16; at first, Pit and R.O.B. were my go-to characters. After a little while, King Dedede became my main (before I even knew that word existed in Smash); after about a year of having Brawl, I made the switch to my current Brawl/PM main. I've been playing with my Brawl/PM main for five years, and every day I'm learning more and more things about him that make him more fun to use, not to mention make me better as a Smash player. Back home I was the best Smash player amongst my friends, and out here in Central PA, I'm making great friends because of the love for the game. This will sound corny, but Smash is my way of letting out stress. Of course I have fun with it too, and I've met some awesome people just by entering the community. When Sm4sh comes out, I'm seriously considering jumping into the competitive scene there, even though I'm still shaky on some of the more technical terms.

So, the moment you've all been waiting for--my mains!
Smash 64: C. Falcon (his playing style in that game just appeals to me--not too slow, and just the right amount of power)
Melee: Luigi (he's slippery, he's lean, mean, green, and his N-air apparently has top priority in Melee!)
Brawl/PM: Ness (yeah yeah, he's only mid-tier. Doesn't make him any less intimidating. He has some amazing moves and good combo potential in PM, his speed is just the right amount (not too fast, not too slow), and his moves are powerful with plenty of ways to land a KO against an opponent. Many people I've faced don't really know what to expect since Ness is hardly ever used in competitive Smash, which makes the element of surprise more relevant (in my case, anyway). If you know how to use him, Ness makes for a reliable and fun character to play as!
Sm4sh: Can't say for sure yet, though I do have my eyes on some characters: Little Mac, Mega Man, Greninja, and Pac-Man (and of course Ness if he returns!). But we'll see how it turns out once the game is released

So yeah, that about covers my introduction! Glad to meet everyone, and I look forward to many fun discussions and tournaments in the future :)

Nintendo Fan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer-Robert1498
3DS FC
3050-7577-7020
Ooo! Long “first” posts always intrigue me. Aside from this, you can always offer me something related to food...:108:
Anyways, welcome to the Boards! I'm certain your contributions won't be in vain. On that note:
image.jpg

and we won't have any problems :p

Last edited:

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Welcome to the forums :)

You can always try making a thread in the Regional Zones section of the forums to attempt to find more people in central Pennsylvania to help build your community.

And don't worry, just playing with others on a more competitive level will help you learn the majority of terms needed, you could also try viewing some streams and such too and listen to the commentary.

Hope you enjoy it here and GL with your community.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Welcome SyMag!

Mario Party was the #1 friend deleter in my time growing up. Stealing stars and coins always made people oh so salty. Could try playing it again now that I'm grown up, maybe the experience is different :p

As for Smash being a stress reliever, not corny at all. After watching the Smash Documentary, I noticed that Smash is more than just a game for plenty of people out there, so you're not alone with your feelings toward the game.

When it comes to getting used to competitive terminology and gameplay, I recommend and taking a look at this guide. You can get up to speed on things after giving this a careful read. It's organized and written in a manner that everyone can understand.

Enjoy :)

Top Bottom