• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finally have a video of my Ness getting stomped all over

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
http://www.twitch.tv/m/640098

I usually go Peach in tournament, but I was playing like half an hour of Ness friendlies beforehand and didn't want to try to warm up my Peach on the fly (takes me a long time to warm up in general). Did some cool stuff to the 'Dorf, but ultimately got squashed and couldn't pull out a third game in the set. Critique all you want, I need help knowing how to apply my many hours of Ness tech skill to actual good use. I can't land grabs for crap either and I have a nasty shield grabbing habit leftover from Peach. Any viable tips for OOS or CC options would be good.

Also, too bad there wasn't crowd audio, the players there were totally hype over my Ness. That's what makes it all worth it!

Xeofreestyler

Smash Cadet
I'm not the best Ness (see other topic) but here's some things I noticed

- do less pk fire approaches from the ground
- do more fair spacing/zoning
- don't djc approach all the time, mix it up sometimes with just shorthop - I saw him reacting after a while by just jumping above you
- im not a fan of the pk thunder edgeguard, it usually just works in their favor or you miss and they just come back unpunished

Also, do you jump cancel your running grabs? That made my grabgame so much better

Thanks for repping Ness in tourney!

dan smith

Smash Champion
xeofreestyler said a lot of good things. pk fire a lot less. it can be used as an edgeguarding option but on-stage it's pretty much either a taunt move or a rare choice to mix things up. you generally djc too fast. it's good to do a super fast and low djc if you have an opening but if not you want to stall in the air for a second before swingining in or out. you can also short hop fair, crossover, and then djc bair when they try to shield grab. if you djc as fast as possible you're essentially just short hopping with a bit of added mobility. i also agree with xeofreestyler about the pk thunder edgeguard. it's not super effective. ness has quite a few options for edge game despite being weary of off stage play. you can hit opponents with the bat if they don't sweet spot the ledge right, you can dangle a yoyo over the edge to disrupt recovery, you can pk fire recoveries and then follow it up with a bat, you can drop a nair off the side, or of course - dair. it's largely dependent on the character.

i like ness because he has a lot of spacing game. you should probably try and be more defensive with your spacing. if you are feeling too much pressure you can quickly get out and then reenegage on your own terms. also, in terms of recovery, the best thing ness can do against most characters is simply triple jump from farther away. it has decent range, if you are too close to the stage it allows punishes. sweet spotting is of course preferrable in most situations.

Top Bottom