• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Toon Link

NightPeach

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5129-1424-7916
Is there any way to deal with Toon Links who spam projectiles then just go for a grab if you keep on shielding? I recently fought this Toon Link, though I know that he abuses roll, he's very hard to approach and I still lost. This is not like Link's side b which cancels the boomerang's hit when it comes back to him. Toon Link is pretty annoying now. I shield apprpach and still can't do it. I jump from air all he gotta do now is use aerials. I throw turnips but he still avoids them. I shield then he grabs. Is there any ways dealing with a Toon Link who spams then grab. Thanks for taking the time to read. Please help.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
If you're getting grabbed, dodge more. Peach's down air applies pressure on shields too. If your opponent rolls a lot, are they rolling around you and/or away from you? If they're rolling around you, down air or down smash should help. If they're rolling away from you, you can dash attack, or use Peach's side B. Or you can run at them as they roll away from you and attack or pivot grab them. Toon Link is a spammer and camper who only really goes in for the kill once he's racked up enough percent on you. Sounds like you have bad match up experience or you're losing composure. Maybe both.

Piano

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4940-5477-9207
Yes, [Toon] Links or other projectiles spammers can be annoying sometimes. For Glory ones just spam them until you approach them to start doing smashes like crazy. Eventually some will hit, and kill you, especially near the ledge. Go by the air and try to d-air to input shield pressure, with a turnip on hand, obviously. If his grab fails you can punish easily, try to spotdodge if he's predictable with his grabbing, but watch out because his grab is faster than it may seem. If he comes with aerials as you float approach, cancel and airdodge a little more, but NEVER rush in, that's how Link/Marth/Sheik/etc. You have to be patient on this match-up. players build a lot of momentum. You can easily edgeguard him but be careful with the up-b as it can gimp so easily on some stages.

NightPeach

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5129-1424-7916
If you're getting grabbed, dodge more. Peach's down air applies pressure on shields too. If your opponent rolls a lot, are they rolling around you and/or away from you? If they're rolling around you, down air or down smash should help. If they're rolling away from you, you can dash attack, or use Peach's side B. Or you can run at them as they roll away from you and attack or pivot grab them. Toon Link is a spammer and camper who only really goes in for the kill once he's racked up enough percent on you. Sounds like you have bad match up experience or you're losing composure. Maybe both.
Yes, [Toon] Links or other projectiles spammers can be annoying sometimes. For Glory ones just spam them until you approach them to start doing smashes like crazy. Eventually some will hit, and kill you, especially near the ledge. Go by the air and try to d-air to input shield pressure, with a turnip on hand, obviously. If his grab fails you can punish easily, try to spotdodge if he's predictable with his grabbing, but watch out because his grab is faster than it may seem. If he comes with aerials as you float approach, cancel and airdodge a little more, but NEVER rush in, that's how Link/Marth/Sheik/etc. You have to be patient on this match-up. players build a lot of momentum. You can easily edgeguard him but be careful with the up-b as it can gimp so easily on some stages.
Wow thanks guys. I'm already improving on fighting toon links XD. You told me so many things that I didn't know like NEVER rush in and that he's a spammer that gives you enough damage that he goes in and go for a kill.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Well, it's fine you rush in, but don't do it mindlessly, or you'll take unnecessary damage. Glad this info helped.

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
You get better against Toon Link the more you fight him. Watch out because his boomerang is quick BUT always know its location because you can use it later for a free Toad Counter

dskank

Smash Journeyman
use nair floats to eat boomerangs and arrows. both projectiles are relatively slow and nairs hitbox stays out just long enough to make this tactic easy and because nair autocancels peach will have frame advantage. once your in on TL use dair to punish rolls. stay in turnip range and pressure the adorable little *******. dont be afraid to catch bombs but be smart about it, tls like to bait opponents into bomb catches and then punish with fairs and bairs, so avoid using air dodge to bomb catch up close because its a free punish for the toonlink.

hope that helps

-tpfb

Top Bottom