• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting ROB

SpaceJello

Smash Apprentice
ive been having serious issues playing rob, and other characters with a good set of projectiles. i feel that alot of my options/combos arent working and i wanted to know if any other ness players have problems in this matchup. i came here specifically because i want to know what you guys ( ness players) think. i have a vid of me playing rob
http://www.twitch.tv/vsgc/b/522495954 it starts at 38:36. please critique me on what im doing wrong. this match up is frustrating me to no end

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
too much fair, and not enough pk fire. i also saw you make a lot of approaches that were straight up running SH fairs, that were pretty predictable. try to play a more patient ness, and focus on covering grounded approaches with mixes between aerial pk fires, and DJC fairs. try making use out of the momentum boosts you can get from DJCs to switch up how you use fair, and make your approach less linear.

SpaceJello

Smash Apprentice
too much fair, and not enough pk fire. i also saw you make a lot of approaches that were straight up running SH fairs, that were pretty predictable. try to play a more patient ness, and focus on covering grounded approaches with mixes between aerial pk fires, and DJC fairs. try making use out of the momentum boosts you can get from DJCs to switch up how you use fair, and make your approach less linear.
thank you for the input. with this rob player aerial pk fires are also quite predictable. robs side b pushes them back to me and is usually a harder punish than reward for me if it ****s up. when i jump he backs up anticipating me to do a move towards him, to which he then side bs. side b stops pkfire and djc fair.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
well not exactly. i think that since it comes down at an angle, any reflection would send it into the ground. additionally, the projectile doesnt have enough range to fully come back to you if you space it right. side b also doesnt beat fair. in this match, he was actually just punishing your missed fair approaches with side b. if you anticipate a side b, try a retreating aerial pk fire, or take the hit with a CC, or just shield and WD > grab. you can also use things like a held up smash or dsmash on shield to break through it, which you can mix in with pk fire if he starts to get too shield happy. looking at your movement options and some of the magnet > DJC stuff you did, it looks like you have enough control over ness to get to the point you want to be at with him. I think if you played a bit more patiently, and focused on anticipating ROBs tactics, while mixing in your approach options to keep him guessing, you would see a lot of success. Pk fire, up smash/dsmash, and even magnet approaches can help beat shielding, while fair will help deal with him if he tries to challenge you with attacks to out prioritize you. a good DJC fair approach will also look very similar to an aerial PK fire approach, and its hard to anticipate which you might come up with. use magnet stalls to further enhance your unpredictability and keep him on his toes.

i seriously think patience will help a lot. not neccesarily being patient by just standing there and waiting for him to make a move (which you did a couple times), but using your aerial options to try and cover his approach options without commiting to approach yourself.

Top Bottom