• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FHADC onto Platform

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787

Okay, so I'm sure this isn't a surprise, but short hopping isn't the only height an air dodge can be cancelled from. I've found that you can reliably, with practice, actually pull off a FHADC (Full-Hop Air-Dodge Cancel) on some platforms. This is useful considering previously the SHADC would only help us on flat surfaces. Now, we have the option of doing it with a little more mobility.

B!squick

Smash Master
Only problem is that it's probably better just to catch an opponent in the same position with USmash. Still really neat though. Now, if you could master doing that from the ledge onto the stage, then you're golden.

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
Only time you get that up-smash read is when they land on platform, not if they are already there. Regardless, it's a mixup. I'll look into seeing if that's a possibility, because that would be useful.

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
maybe even a ledge drop air dodge cancel?
You mean dropping from ledge, using your air jump to air dodge onto stage and try to cancel it? That would be interesting. Problem would be whether it would work. I think that doing it onto platform as mentioned before be more beneficial though.

Last edited:

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
The thing is the way that the FHADC and SHADC work is that you are able to cancel the the lag from landing air dodge by using one of bowser's B moves. You would be able to shield drop once you're done using it, but you can't ADC into shield.

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I guess what I'm trying to say is would it be possible to

shield drop from a platform-> air dodge into the ground -> cancel into a b move

It might a super safe and interesting way to surprise opponents from below.

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
Ooooh, alright. Hmm, I'm not sure if the height would be right, and even then, doing that seems way more complicated than just throwing out an aerial from a shield drop. I'll see if there is an application that uses both. Thanks for the idea!

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
So I just labbed every tournament legal stage. You can do it to almost any platform. The only platforms you can't do it to are angled ones, such as any from the second transformation of delfino.

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
I just tried this, and I don't think it is a cancel. You are just recovering and using Fortress.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
I just tried this, and I don't think it is a cancel. You are just recovering and using Fortress.
You're right, I just tested this out on battlefield and you can just walk around when you land on the platform. However, I think this is actually better for that reason because it means on platforms you can full-hop airdodge into standing options as well as specials and there's only a brief window of vulnerability between both actions, It may not be something that will be used very often, but I could see this coming into play for mind games. In short, I think this is a pretty good find that has some potential.

Edit: Just to be extra sure I did another test, on Delfino during the initial transformation, the platform is a bit higher than the ones on battlefield so you have to use the airdodge cancel on that one. It might be good for someone to look into how this works with other platforms as well. Also, while testing this out, I found out that it's possible to air dodge cancel from the ledge onto the stage, I tested this on four different stages. They were F.D, Halberd, Delfino, and Battlefield. It worked on all of them but it was the hardest to do on battlefield, I think it's because of how the ledge is shaped, but it's doable.

The timing is incredibly strict, especially on battlefield. You want to do a ledge drop, then perform an airdodge jump while holding towards the stage as soon as possible. On all the stages that weren't battlefield, I was able to use down for the ledge drop, and it felt like I had a marginally better window to perform my inputs. On battlefield, It only worked if I used back for the ledge drop, and you pretty much have to press all the inputs as soon as possible with absolutely no delays then start buffering out the special you want to come out. It's incredibly tricky, and it might take a few tries before it'll actually work but it is doable.

The main concern I see is viability, this seems like a pretty strong tool, but it's really difficult to perform, is the reward worth the execution? I see a great potential for mix-ups here, and it might open up a few punish opportunities that we didn't have before, but I guess the only way to know for sure is to try it out. I imagine this means that some other characters can cancel from the ledge too, but it's not something a fortress or bit of fire can't handle.

Edit: I just did a bit more testing, I've confirmed that it's possible to airdodge from the ledge onto the stage with no lag at all and no need to do any canceling. Meaning it's possible to to airdodge into standing options, needless to say, this takes very precise timing, but it's certainly doable. By the way, so far I've only been able t do this on battlefield for some reason, both Omega and normal. I'll test it out on other stages to make sure it's not just a weird glitch or something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom