• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Few Questions~~

HellfireSamurai

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

I got a few questions about Meta knight/Brawl tactics in general...some of them may have carried over from Melee but I never owned Melee so I never really learned some stuff...

- Okay, I know some sort of "diminishing returns" effect occurs when a person spams smashes or something right? I like to use down smash as part of combos, but since its one of my primary killing moves should I stop?

- Does completely missing the smash affect the diminishing returns? What about if it hits a shield?

- What moves (of Meta knight) are affected by the diminishing returns?

- What's a good counter to people who just keep rolling away? I.E. I dash attack / dash grab and they barely roll away...and this keeps happening =/. I want to use side tornado since it keeps going...but it leaves me so vulnerable ><.

Haha thanks in advance =P. By the way, I'd love to play anyone - I practice against my friend who mains Ike so that's pretty much all the practice I get in 1v1...lol =P.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Hey guys,

I got a few questions about Meta knight/Brawl tactics in general...some of them may have carried over from Melee but I never owned Melee so I never really learned some stuff...

- Okay, I know some sort of "diminishing returns" effect occurs when a person spams smashes or something right? I like to use down smash as part of combos, but since its one of my primary killing moves should I stop?
This is called Hit Decay. Whenever you hit something or someone with an attack it adds to the decay on the move. When you use another move it reduces the decay on your other attacks by a small amount. Use other moves to reduce your decay then plug your downsmash in for a kill.

- Does completely missing the smash affect the diminishing returns? What about if it hits a shield?
I'm not sure, but I believe that decay is only effected whenever you hit something. This goes for both reducing and increasing the amount of decay on a move.

- What moves (of Meta knight) are affected by the diminishing returns?
All moves in Brawl are effected by decay. I'm pretty sure throwing an item is even effected by it.

- What's a good counter to people who just keep rolling away? I.E. I dash attack / dash grab and they barely roll away...and this keeps happening =/. I want to use side tornado since it keeps going...but it leaves me so vulnerable ><.
There are frames at the beginning and end of a roll or dodge where they are vulnerable to getting hit or being thrown; try and time your attacks when you think they'll drop their defenses. You could also just make them come to you instead of you chasing them.

Haha thanks in advance =P. By the way, I'd love to play anyone - I practice against my friend who mains Ike so that's pretty much all the practice I get in 1v1...lol =P.
Good luck man.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Use the mach whirlwind to punish people who love to roll and the drill charge aimed downwards. You can also chase their roll and do an upsmash where they will pop-up.

DR is not affected by misses or blocked shots. It is affected it you hit an item or hazard (like luigi's mansion columns) with a move.

Only use Down-smash on people at very low and very high %s. Very low %s is OK because you have a long way to go before they are actually in kill range, so you have plenty of time to reset your DR. Very high %s should be obvious, if you can kill them with a D-smash, do so. Feel free to use D-smash liberally after your opponent has recently died, since they'll be a at low % and you'll probably be close to death yourself. Note that if you die, your DR is completely reset.

HellfireSamurai

Smash Rookie
Oh wow thanks a lot to both of you - you both answered a ton of questions haha =).

Oh sweet, didn't know DR was NOT affected by blocked shots and it resets after I die...awesome!

Thanks again guys =).

Top Bottom