• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Feburary 2016: But why, you think?

Oneirohero

Smash Rookie
NNID
litb007
New user here, been a Smash bros fan since Melee and Bayonetta fan since the original release (Xbox360 version).

I'm loving all the analysis and discussion for Bayonetta from the Nintendo Direct. Having Cloud Strife available immediately and scheduled to get Corrin and Bayonetta in February. But as much as what was shown in the Nintendo direct of Bayonetta's moveset, stage and costumes I sort of got wondering, they said she's 'not quite ready for smash yet' and that she would be released the same time as Corrin. But what could be possibly left unfinished for Bayonetta that we haven't already seen?

I can understand CORRIN being delayed til Feburary, since if I recall correctly, the Fire Emblem Fates games are due to be released in the US (and other english-speaking countries?) around that time so delaying the character for a game release sounds like a sensible idea. But Bayonetta 2 (and the double set with Bayo 1) has already been out for months now, and with the winter holidays over there's no sales strategy involved with her besides maybe dodging the January sales. Heck, even Cloud is due for his FF7 remake next/this year so Smash Bros hype benefits him even though the release date isn't even set yet!

But perhaps Bayonetta isn't done Quality Testing yet, or maybe they're trying to collect user reactions to decide if people's comments and theorycrafting about her could be used in some last minute changes to minimise the amount of balance changes they'll need to inflict on her and Corrin for any after-DLC patches they decide to push out. There's also the thing about music licensing as well, since a lot of people (me included) would love to hear Fly me to the Moon and Moon River included in the Clocktower stage but understand it might be improbable due to music licenses (even covers apparently). Also Midgar's stage music got shafted big time, but I can't tell whether that was Square being stingy or not.

What do you think? What sort of things could be stopping Bayonetta from being out now, or sooner than February? Could it simply be easier to release both characters at once or maybe there's something more to it?

D

Deleted member

Balancing, characters take months to develop.
Sure, she looks really complete on the trailer, but remember that it's most likely edited.
They need to balance out her from the rest of the cast so she doesn't seem to look "broken" or "overpowered" plus with glitches and bugs.
Another thing I noticed is that they showed no 3DS gameplay, so they could also be taking the time to port her.

Oneirohero

Smash Rookie
NNID
litb007
Editing I can believe, like with most smash trailers there's always some kind of 'setting target characters to a higher % for bigger smashes' and 'TAS choreography for cool fight scenes'. Although the not-so-good lipsync part in the Bayo trailer before her final smash was something new, unless of course that's part of a taunt saying something completely different, who knows?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
The bottom line is the same one they said when they revealed Mewtwo: A character takes a while to get done properly, they basically only made that presentation to tease us.
:196:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I theorize that aside balancing Bayonetta, (One of the obvious reasons to delay or hold on a bit before release) they may still be working on her sounds. In the trailer and a lot of the footage, the sounds were definitely overlays, not gameplay sound iirc. That way they could let us see her.

Balance touch ups would be my first guess, though. She is insanely unique from what we are seeing. It would undoubtedly need to be carefully attended to, especially if we are looking at the final character changes patch then.

Raven the Obsidian

Smash Cadet
NNID
RavenTheObsidian
3DS FC
3866-8144-2758
Yeah, there's probably still some rebalancing and bugfixing to do. Don't forget that trailers cherry-pick footage, so she could still have had quite a few bugs at the time of the presentation.

Oneirohero

Smash Rookie
NNID
litb007
Balance touch ups would be my first guess, though. She is insanely unique from what we are seeing. It would undoubtedly need to be carefully attended to, especially if we are looking at the final character changes patch then.
As far as balance patches go, it's likely there'll be one round for when Corrin/Bayonetta launches to cover the cast and Cloud. And then one more patch to cover the cast one more time and Corrin/Bayonetta themselves. Any patches beyond that is completely speculation.

UkeNicky

Smash Ace
NNID
UkeNicky
As far as balance patches go, it's likely there'll be one round for when Corrin/Bayonetta launches to cover the cast and Cloud. And then one more patch to cover the cast one more time and Corrin/Bayonetta themselves. Any patches beyond that is completely speculation.

*Is still praying for Zelda buffs*

Greda

Smash Journeyman
As mentioned before, balance, 3DS implementation, but if you look closely in her trailer, her hair on her suit has a decent amount of visual glitches which will probably be something they will also patch up before she releases.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
Balancing against 50+ other characters probably takes a while. The wait is killin me though.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Honestly, alongside all the "a character takes time to develop" things people have been saying thus far, I honestly think it's for the sake of convenience. If they release Corrin and Bayonetta at the same time, they only have to do one patch to implement them both. But if they're released even a day apart, that means they'd have to do two patches. So, to keep the amount of patches down, they're deciding to hold both of them off to be released on the same day.

Not that I'm complaining. The longer they take, the more polished they can make these two characters.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Of course balancing Bayonetta and Corrin at the same time will need much time. However another important part(also already mentionned in this thread) is of course the 3DS version. I'm pretty sure they always first made the WiiU version of every DLC character and then went on to make the character work on the 3ds. It makes sense in the way that they can tease us with the beautiful graphics from the WiiU instead of having to show 3ds gameplay.

Also as the balance patch for February(probably) is an issue, the balancing may buff/nerf more characters from the existing cast too and as the patch most likely will be released with the two new dlc characters, everything has to be ready until then. So by releasing Corrin and Bayonetta in February, they have another 2 months for the balance patch.

I can totally understand how hard it is to wait for Bayonetta to be released. I'm feeling the same way. The wait kills me too. But I prefer that they take their time and polish Bayonetta to the climax ;)

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
There's also stuff like what happens if crazy hand activates witch time? How does a cpu know when to perfect shield/counter/witch time/focus attack her ftilt 2nd hit hold input projectiles? What is the ledge grab box for Lucas on Umbran Clock Tower

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Because Corrin and Bayonetta are going to be released simultaneously like Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were. For all we know, one of those three or even 2 of them might have been done long before June 2015, but they wanted to put them out all at once so they just waited until everyone was done. Bayonetta/Corrin might need more time than the other one, and we will get them both when they are both ready.

After all they need to do an update when this happens and I think they'll want to just have it all together in one update to make things easier.

Top Bottom