• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Feasibility of a New Online Multiplayer System

Torgo

Smash Rookie
I’m sure that the topic of how to fix Brawl’s online multiplayer system has been scrutinized to no end on these forums. Unfortunately, the likelihood that anything will actually come from these discussions is slim to none. Even if someone from Nintendo comes over and reads these discussions and likes the ideas nothing will actually be implemented until the next Smash Bros game which hasn’t even been announced yet. For me, this is too long of a wait for some decent online multiplayer brawl! The question is, is it possible to create our own application for the homebrew channel or a brawl mod which would launch a multiplayer system capable of matchmaking based on our specifications?

Sure, we can create online communities with the system we have now. This however involves swapping friend codes, dealing with terrible lag, and recording our match results manually. This severely limits the player base of possible online players for a ranked brawl community because it forces a localization of friend code swapping to single websites and online communities, verses simply hitting “play now” to connect to a ranked match against anyone with the game. I don't think that anyone in the brawl community would say that they are satisfied with the way that the built in online functionality works, especially when its compared to similar 1v1 or 2v2 games such as Starcraft 2. What brawl needs is an online system capable of full stat tracking, a player ranking system which would enable players to play against people of similar skill level, and potentially a latency detection system to prioritize potential matchups with stronger connections.

The advantages to a system like this would obviously be massive. The ability to play ranked brawl matches in an easy to use online setting would fundamentally change the way many of us play brawl. Additionally, the sheer breadth of possible stat tracking could enable further game balance in the mod community and perfected tier lists. It doesn’t take much imagination to see a project like this picking up speed very quickly and eventually becoming a viable way to replace our current methods for online brawl play, especially when you considering porting it to existing brawl mods such as minus/plus/balanced/project M.

Back to our original question, is it possible to create our own application for the homebrew channel or a brawl mod which would launch a multiplayer system capable of matchmaking based on our specifications? Here’s the list of things we would need to get this going:

1. A team of programmers, designers, and play testers willing to create the project. The brawl community has mobilized to create brilliant projects before, so I see no reason to believe assembling a team would be an impossible task.
2. The ability for a brawl mod/application to connect two players in an online match based on commands given to it from a dedicated server. Though I am a programmer I have little experience with brawl modding and have no idea if this is possible.
3. The ability for our application to load/save statistics to/from a dedicated server and use them for a variety of tasks while the application is launched. Again, I have little experience with modding brawl and do not know if this is possible.

If I missed something in there which you think would make this project impossible, please reply with a response as to why this would prevent the project from ever working.

This thread is intended as a discussion thread for the feasibility of the described project above. After discussion, if it is determined that this project has both support and potential then I will create a separate thread for the recruitment of a team and alpha testers.

TLDR; Is it possible to make an application which would launch a multiplayer brawl service separate from the one provided with game.

Thanks for the read,
Torgo

:downs:

Smash Apprentice
There was a project a few months back that attempted to replace Brawl's online play...I think they hit a brickwall because the server Brawl connects to is encrypted or something. I'll find the thread.

And here it is.

Torgo

Smash Rookie
There was a project a few months back that attempted to replace Brawl's online play...I think they hit a brickwall because the server Brawl connects to is encrypted or something. I'll find the thread.

And here it is.
Thanks for the link, that project certainly shares a lot of the ambitions that I had. After reading it, it is my understanding that they were attempting to set up private servers for hosting brawl matches. The way I envisioned my idea working would be to use the system Nintendo had in place but with a method of filtering how matches were set up, though I have no idea if this is possible at all. The alternate method to that WOULD however be to have one of the players in the match host the match, and I'm not sure if that is considered a private server or not. The problems they ran into could definitely end up being posed on my hypothetical project but they may not with the correcting porting. Since I couldn't decipher an exact prognosis of what held them back on that thread, does a member of that team want to help enlighten me as to what held them back?

MrUnusual

Smash Rookie
Well, I'm not sure if this helps at all being that this post was from almost 4 years ago, but there is a way to continue to play brawl online if you have a modded wii after Nintendo scrapped that capability

Top Bottom