• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Programming Language

DOWSER

Smash Rookie
I'm interested in programming in a new language and I wanted to know what everyone thinks. So what's your favorite programming language and why?

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
I've only been programming for almost a year now, so I haven't really found a language that I can take as my favorite, there are many different things that make programming languages stand out from one another.

What is it you like about the current language you're using and what do you expect from a different one?

Personally, I like all the ones I know, being only C, Java and Assembler (on DOS and Linux).

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
I'm partial to PHP, but you might've guessed that. And PHP gets way more fun when you splice in some JavaScript.

But as far as recommending any particular language, that always depends on what you already know and what you want to learn. Don't learn PHP if you don't plan on ever doing web development (for fun or otherwise). But if you want an exercise in gouging your eyes out, check out LISP.

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
My more computer-knowledgeable Computer Science buddies don't think much of Java but I'm liking it, Processing toolkit is oodles of fun. Making simple, pretty visualisations is a nice way to spend a day.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Java's just REALLY inefficient. Any program you make in it will run twice as fast in C++ or anything else, really. But Java has the benefit of being very platform independent and stuff, so there's always a trade off.

TheDownSyndromeKid

Smash Cadet
C#.NET <-- Good stuff. Basically Java on the .NET CLR

As far as favorites go, I'm more or less indifferent, it's more so what the job requires for me. I've heard Ruby on Rails is often times a major plus, I stay far away from web development, though. Not my cup o' tea.

DOWSER

Smash Rookie
Yeah, during college I was into web development. What's python good for?

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
i like java just because they make everything easy. of course c++ is much better

Yeah, during college I was into web development. What's python good for?
python is used for web development as well (google is among the most famous for this), but there are tons of other uses of python. the original bittorrent client is written in python, openoffice uses python scripts, a large amount of linux GUI front-end programs are written with python (often with gtk or similar), and some open source programs allow you to write your own plugins in python (such as pidgin). In general, python is used everywhere in the open source world (in linux look around some system files and you'll find python scripts everywhere!)

Ørion

Smash Ace
Java's just REALLY inefficient. Any program you make in it will run twice as fast in C++ or anything else, really. But Java has the benefit of being very platform independent and stuff, so there's always a trade off.
QFT. Personally, I love C++, it's fast, has OOP (though that's not really a strength compared to Java lol) and I like the syntax of it for some reason.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
Java's just REALLY inefficient. Any program you make in it will run twice as fast in C++ or anything else, really.
I was under the impression that java was a bit faster than interpreted languages such as python or ruby?

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
I like C, C++, and Python, but the language I know best is....ahem, TI-Basic....
mostly because I don't really write programs except on my calc

Top Bottom