• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Family-Friendly" Alternative to Bayonetta?

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Okay first of all, I wanna preface this by saying what this thread is not or what I don't want it to become.

First off, this isn't a "shame on you for liking Bayonetta because she violates my moral standards" thread; as a concept, I think the character is awesome. She has a gorgeous British accent, makes glasses look hot, and has freakin' guns on the back of her high heel shoes. My main concern and the reason I don't buy the character is the demon thing, but I understand that others have different standards than I do.

Also, this isn't an "I'm mad because my favorite character didn't get in". She won the ballot fair and square and I've got plenty of other characters to enjoy.

Lastly, don't take this too seriously. I know it's probably not gonna happen - this is mainly for fun :)

Nevertheless, I wonder how many parents are not going to let their kids download Bayonetta because of the game she's from. I mean basically this is a witch who sold her soul to a demon and cusses like a sailor in the game she comes from, among other things. But I would hate to see people miss out on such a unique playstyle. Even with the alleged nerfs (we'll see how it turns out), a combo-based character like this is really fun to play with and adds so much hype to the game.

So, let's just say, hypothetically, that you were hired by Sora and Sakurai and tasked with making a character that plays exactly the same as Bayonetta but is a different character from another game series. Anybody who purchased Bayonetta can download the character for free but anyone who didn't can buy this character and a reskin of Umbra Clock Tower for the same price. The character plays exactly the same, the hitboxes are the same, the frame data is the same. You're essentially reskinning the character and the stage for younger fans to enjoy.

Who do you pick and how do you adapt the character?

My first thoughts are to replace Love is Blue/Scarborough Fair with NES Zappers and Madame Butterfly with summoning a giant Power Glove but I don't know what character to put them on. Maybe Daisy or Waluigi?

Last edited:

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
I'd rather not give in to the minority, rather than erase a character because it offends them for whatever reason.

Flebale

Smash Rookie
NNID
Flebale
My eight year old cousin loves Bayonetta. Young fans can enjoy her as much as the older because of how safe she is made in Smash, so I would have no need to replace her.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Nevertheless, I wonder how many parents are not going to let their kids download Bayonetta because of the game she's from.
I remember a few months ago somebody posted that they had their wii u confiscated from their mom due to her demonic stuff.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
She was way censored in smash 4, so yeah not really necessary. She's family friendly enough.

Totally out of left field and would never happen in smash probably, but Laura Croft immediately comes to mind. She's another dual pistol wielding, brawling female character that could have the same moveset with the help of some animation tweaks. Not sure what they'd do to make her smashes that huge though. Just put clothes on her and there, she's family friendly. Especially the reboot version where they didn't make her chest so ridiculous. And also, obviously no satanic stuff.

Last edited:

unoclay

Smash Rookie
Just came in here to say that i detest the term "family friendly". That's all.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's hard to find a fighter who is all about combos. That said, there is Sonic the Werehog, as that was his whole purpose. But I prefer one 3rd party per franchise, so... hmmm...

And Ryu's already there, so that cuts down on it.

Best I can think of would be Jago or Fulgore from Killer Instinct. They both are known for continuing combos for days. And neither of them have any majorly sexual features like Bayonetta had. Or demonic things for the most part. Fulgore probably would fit better in this regard, being a regular machine.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I'd rather not give in to the minority, rather than erase a character because it offends them for whatever reason.
Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting to erase Bayonetta - I was saying have a different character in addition to Bayonetta so everyone wins.

I thought about maybe Hatsune Miku. I remember when all the different character suggestions were floating around she was allowed because she was technically a PC character first, but she's had more representation on Nintendo systems than Cloud and technically she'd be another Namco rep since they make her games. She could attack her opponents with giant microphones and maybe fire musical notes instead of bullets?

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Elma (XCX) would work. She has dual machine guns and a jetpack, so I could see it working.

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I really can't see anyone else using Bayo's moveset. It was clearly designed with her in mind. It's not like Ganondorf's moveset, which could feasibly be ported onto Black Shadow. Having anyone else use her moveset would look really awkward, and would probably waste the character's unique potential.

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
I can definitely see where you are coming from. Like if you watch her reveal trailer it's like witch she summons demons and for some that could be offensive. She is DLC so there's still the option to simply avoid donwloading her or delete her if you already have downloaded her. I think it's a cultural thing and a lot of Japanese games have demons, spirits, magic and the like. Cloud has summons in his level, Zelda uses magic, Paluteena is a Goddess etc. I understand why someone would find Bayo the most offensive for her witch/demon powers though. I can't think of any way you would potentially replace her though. You could essentially give any character her moves. You could make a robot from Portal use the portals for smash attacks like Bayo opens her demon portals. So I guess Portal would be my replacement vote but I think it's too small a number of people that would take offense solely to Bayo that all you can really do for that minority is be like you can avoid owning her bc she is DLC and that's prob the best you can hope for.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
This has happened before with Snake. They dropped his use of firearms to appropriate him for Brawl's target demographic.

Last edited:

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
I was genuinely surprised when I found out Bayonetta came from an M-rated game, but she's perfectly fine as is in Smash.

Top Bottom