• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcos Grabs CAN be effective.

mathos

Smash Champion
Grabs are necessary but they still suck. . . . . .

McCloud: Either thats a bad DI, the invisible ceiling, or your crazy PAL version. Falco's Dsmash doesn't spike.

EDIT: Knockout: You have to host an image on a image hosting site and then link it in. Something like imageshack.com or something should work.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Ive once spiked someone off the protruding part of the pokemon stadium ledge when fox was up bing straight up, i dsmashed and he hit the top if it like a ceiling and went straight down. it was really wierd.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
For the Dthrow the person also has to not DI for it to work. So its not reliable.
I use the dthrow a lot at lower percentages. I usually just learn what the person does. If they don't die, it's easy to pull a shine on them, so I usually shine after my first dthrow with that person. If they DI away a little bit, then I'll switch to uthrows or fthrows until higher percentages where a dthrow > dtilt will hit them even if they DI a bit in front of me and usually take a stock. And finally, if they roll away a lot, then I'll just wait a moment and then move in quickly and punish them. I'm definitely no expert, but I abused the dthrow so much on a couple of my friends (out of habit) that I found myself adapting.

The I started finding the fthrow useful for getting someone off of the level at mid to high % or the uthrow for just getting them off my back for a moment.

I still prefer the dthrow myself.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
Oh ok. Well, in that case...do I make good use of my throws in general? I'm still in the process of learning Falco and throws are something I figured out on my own.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
.........*sigh*
I don't know why you sighed, but let me explain. I know we're friends, so yeah:

Falco's entire game is set up around comboing when given the chance. You dont just run up to someone competent and start comboing them. You can however, grab them and hit them in any direction which can set up into a combo
This applies to every character, which is why this topic doesn't really help anyone.

InfiniteGXT

Smash Journeyman
We already talked about this on AIM, but if it was well known that falcos grabs can be effective if used well, alot more people would be using them. Good point though. Every characters grabs can be used effectively. Im just pointing out how falco can fit his grabs into his playing style better.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
We already talked about this on AIM, but if it was well known that falcos grabs can be effective if used well, alot more people would be using them. Good point though. Every characters grabs can be used effectively. Im just pointing out how falco can fit his grabs into his playing style better.
That was after I posted, lol.

Itchi

Smash Cadet
Well.. when I use Falco I chain grab like heck A + R - Down over and over until the opponent gets to 60% or close then I grab and throw down and flash then hit.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Falco's grab does suck but it's too funny when you tech chase with him :laugh:

flintstone

Smash Cadet
i find it almost impossable to use grabs, mainly cause most of my fights are against p vanity's fox, and fox seems to have higher priority grabs

its also very difficult to start comboing after i grab i find, but then again, majority of my practise comes from a fox, who is a fastfaller, so i dont have much time to start a combo after a grab

Well.. when I use Falco I chain grab like heck A + R - Down over and over until the opponent gets to 60%
chain grabing with a down throw should almost never happen, unless ur opponent is really bad at escaping grabs, i find almost impossable to hit after a down throw never mind chain grab it...

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
dthrow all depends on DI and teching. If they don't, shines hit easily to start combos. If they DI but don't tech you can usually jab or do a tilt (utilt if behind your or dtilt if in front). Usually I see people roll away, and if you notice that they do it often, you just have to follow up. Dash or SHL to them or something.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
haha im sure everyone knew that falco's grabs can be effective. everyone uses them when its appropriate. i thnk you would be hardpressed to find a good player in the world that doesnt use grabs. but its also true that falco's grabs suck balls compared to everyone else's. maybe i suck but i couldnt tell what was so well placed about those throws in the videos, they seem like normal grabs to me coupled with forward's mindgames.

yo im going to ucla tomorrow are you gonna be there? lets ditto. even though im really rusty i havent played since last ucla tourney.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Only at low percents and not against floaties! I know PC likes to start the stock against Foxes with grabs.

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
What I was surprised about how from pro falco to another, each of them specialize in one particular throw. I will probably be flamed for this :urg: , but that's how most falcos are (I dare not give any example).

I use grabs for:

1. CG at right percentages (Uthrow + Utilt against space animals)
2. Edgeguarding (Fthrow)
3. I use grabs a lot on FLOATY characters, mostly to pressure them and maybe cause more aerial play.

Anyways, yeah, I'll find some examples for grab combos later.

Top Bottom