• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco's Edgeguarding

ZDEG

Smash Cadet
Normally, I'd try and search the melee forums for this but I figured I'd get a quicker response with this since it's not jumbled with 999999999999 posts.

So i know that low tilt is a good edge guard, but what else is in Falco's arsenal that I can use to work on edge guarding with. I'd like to try and work on not letting my opponent practically waltz back on the stage most of the time and really pressure them. I try to use lasers to stun them from far away but that doesn't always work so I wondered if anyone could inform me of better ways to accomplish this.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
It largely depends on the character you're trying to edgeguard. Something good to add to your arsenal is walljump > dair. Get the height just right so that you can still recover afterwards.

Same with double jump Bair. Practice to see just how low and how far you can go off with it while still recovering.

Some characters you just can't edgegaurd, and its best to just edgehog them and punish when they get back on stage. Mainly characters like Sheik, ledge get-up then fsmash or wavedash and pivot fsmash them back off. Tether characters are similar but you get less reward. Ledge hop double laser or nair/fair against them.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
During his down smash, his legs are invincible. That really comes in handy when trying to edgeguard, and something else is short hop dair next to the ledge.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
bair wall them until they die
falco is basically jiggs
more fun options (all VERY clearly vary based on character): runoff doublejump dair, runoff immediate dair (last stock), downsmash, fsmash, and my personal favorite, a timed phantasm ledgestall so a recovering opponent is hit with the meteor as they're coming back to the stage

ZDEG

Smash Cadet
Fantastic answers guys, I appreciate it greatly. I normally use the dair approach near the ledge (And sometimes go a little too far and sink straight off the stage) or i'll setup enough spacing for a D Smash or F Smash. I try to play fairly aggressive with Falco so trying to prevent any help getting back onstage is crucial for me.

I'll deff have to try the bair wall, and Mauser I'll try to work on this greatly. I have a feeling Falco will remind me of his unfortunate Up B. XP

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
is there any way of edgeguard ike im new to smash btw, but it seems like you can't do anything to ike when he is coming back onto the stage unless he does his side be recovery than u do down smash

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Just going off what I know for Ike, I would jump just before he rises and start DAIR early so he comes up and into it, this of course depends on when he starts UpB but it's gotta be something you practice (like edgeguarding in general :p ) You could also try trading FSmash but I feel like that would be tougher.

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
Just going off what I know for Ike, I would jump just before he rises and start DAIR early so he comes up and into it, this of course depends on when he starts UpB but it's gotta be something you practice (like edgeguarding in general :p ) You could also try trading FSmash but I feel like that would be tougher.
yea when ike does up b and i do foward smash i never trade i get beat out clean maybe its a timing thing but im going to practice dair on ike i feel like hes one of the characters i can't dair

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
yea when ike does up b and i do foward smash i never trade i get beat out clean maybe its a timing thing but im going to practice dair on ike i feel like hes one of the characters i can't dair
I feel like if he sweetspots the ledge you should still be able to D-smash him out of his up-B. If he goes higher than maybe you can time a SHL into something to stun him out of the up-B? or just ftilt/dair/fsmash him. The sword is all that's stopping you from edgeguarding him, so you just need to find ways to outrange his sword.
Melee logic: Falco deals with Marth by using SHL to control what Marth's options are, and needs to space it so that he can hit him with a lazer or a dair without being hit by the sword. So, I figure Ike is the same way.

Just my 2 cents.

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
I feel like if he sweetspots the ledge you should still be able to D-smash him out of his up-B. If he goes higher than maybe you can time a SHL into something to stun him out of the up-B? or just ftilt/dair/fsmash him. The sword is all that's stopping you from edgeguarding him, so you just need to find ways to outrange his sword.
Melee logic: Falco deals with Marth by using SHL to control what Marth's options are, and needs to space it so that he can hit him with a lazer or a dair without being hit by the sword. So, I figure Ike is the same way.

Just my 2 cents.
thanks alot dude i really appreciate the help the dsmash seems to work on the ledge ill try the other methods aswell

mas_torque

Smash Apprentice
I'm a big fan of drop/fastfall shinestall DJ bair/dair either from onstage or the ledge. It seems to work quite nicely baiting upB against my Marth friend

Justkallmekai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ProjectM3.0
3DS FC
0473-8282-3242
His backair definitely, you could shine turnaround, wavedash back, fall down, jump, get that backair in there, grab ledge, feel awesome.

Top Bottom