• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon Combo Help

Fox McCLOUT

Smash Rookie
So I've been practicing with Falcon for about a week now and I can beat all my friends but my Falcon overall is just really sloppy and I'm in need of some tips/advice on solid combos. I also have a bad habit of jumping way to far past my opponent and most of the time it guarantees them a free hit on me. Any advice, whether it be on his combos or just in general, would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
Stomp - knee is obviously very strong, and chain grabbing works great as well. Try to prioritize upair and nair in neutral and stomp in ledgeguard.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Melee or Sm4sh
Don't post on a thread if you aren't willing to even check what forum it's in.

So the combo you want to do varies completely depending on what character you are comboing. Against fox and falco, you probably want to downthrow into tech chase regrab, side b, stomp, or knee. Against floatier characters like puff or peach, downthrow knee is guaranteed (it's not actually guaranteed against peach but you should be going for it at this point). At lower percents, downthrow nair can be good or down throw up air. If they DI in after this first aerial, go for another. Look for knees after aerials where people DI hard in.

If you haven't learned it already, short hop fast fall l canceling aerials are necessary for falcon, required for most neutral and combos. You need to learn to effectively dash dance and move around, raise your level of control. You will see this seep into better control in your combos.

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
It says "discussion started under Captain Falcon," so that gives me no context for what game it is.

Fox McCLOUT

Smash Rookie
Don't post on a thread if you aren't willing to even check what forum it's in.

So the combo you want to do varies completely depending on what character you are comboing. Against fox and falco, you probably want to downthrow into tech chase regrab, side b, stomp, or knee. Against floatier characters like puff or peach, downthrow knee is guaranteed (it's not actually guaranteed against peach but you should be going for it at this point). At lower percents, downthrow nair can be good or down throw up air. If they DI in after this first aerial, go for another. Look for knees after aerials where people DI hard in.

If you haven't learned it already, short hop fast fall l canceling aerials are necessary for falcon, required for most neutral and combos. You need to learn to effectively dash dance and move around, raise your level of control. You will see this seep into better control in your combos.
What about Samus, Mario, and Sheik? would the same things apply?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Comboing with Falcon is basically just a flowchart.

After hitting the opponent with a move:
Flowchart Step 1: Consider the best move to hit the opponent with next
Flowchart Step 2: Based on the hitstun and DI, can I connect the move selected in Step 1? If not, go back and repeat Step 1 with a different move; if no moves will work, consider the option to tech chase or chase the opponent's aerial drift and jumps with up-air.

In order to make your flowchart stronger, you need to have a good idea of what the best move is in Step 1 (at killing percent, you usually want to use knee or uair to KO; otherwise, typically you want to select the best aerial [nair keeps them consistently in front of you, uair hits them up and away, knee hits them a bit further away, bair a little weaker than knee] or ground move to continue the combo - this could be grab, tilts, side-b, even jab sometimes).

Last edited:

Fox McCLOUT

Smash Rookie
Comboing with Falcon is basically just a flowchart.

After hitting the opponent with a move:
Flowchart Step 1: Consider the best move to hit the opponent with next
Flowchart Step 2: Based on the hitstun and DI, can I connect the move selected in Step 1? If not, go back and repeat Step 1 with a different move; if no moves will work, consider the option to tech chase or chase the opponent's aerial drift and jumps with up-air.

In order to make your flowchart stronger, you need to have a good idea of what the best move is in Step 1 (at killing percent, you usually want to use knee or uair to KO; otherwise, typically you want to select the best aerial [nair keeps them consistently in front of you, uair hits them up and away, knee hits them a bit further away, bair a little weaker than knee] or ground move to continue the combo - this could be grab, tilts, side-b, even jab sometimes).
It might just be that i'm not that good with falcon but I find it a lot harder to combo floaties like puff and samus so is there anything specific that works well on floaties?

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Who are you comboing? Every combo depends on who you are comboing. Different combos are guaranteed or not guaranteed on different characters.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Up throw knee is not guaranteed on any of those characters I'm pretty sure. BUT if they DI in or have no DI, I can see it being a combo. Also it's percent based. If you have 20XX you can test if stuff is a real combo or not by going into training mode and setting a save state and then seeing against all the different DIs if you can get the combo.

F!R3

Smash Rookie
Don't try to go for specific combos, rarely will that ever work since most opponents know how to DI. If you just read their DI the combos will just happen. It's all about reading their DI right and putting out the right hitbox to hit them. Falcon combos are generally hit them --> any aerial --> any aerial --> knee. But there are certain situations where angles up f tilt works better for a combo extension. Comboing in melee really just comes down to hitting late aerials so you have more time to hit them in hit stun

Top Bottom