• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco vs Shiek

What are good ways to approach and combo Sheik ? and what should Falco never do in this match up ?

• Total voters

ChrisRoxal

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChrisRoxal
So I play competitive Melee in Puerto Rico and over here we have alot of Sheik players, and I have found my self wondering many times, what must I do against Sheik ?, my knowledge of this match up is few and that makes it very anoying :/

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
Edgeguarding: Grab the ledge and force her to recover to the stage. Punish the landing lag of her upB.

Dair shine pressure is decent. Technically nair shine pressure is tighter(shorter landing lag) but dair is more likely to shield stab when you space it well.

seko08sk

Smash Cadet
Dair is good if you don't do it to often shine grab is amazing in this match up shiek isnt to good in the air and falco can combo here very well
Force then to recover on the stage and then punish

Twinkles

Smash Lord
It's the fastest punish you could get and usually is a free followup into something meatier depending on %

ChrisRoxal

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChrisRoxal
Ok so what about approaching Sheik ? For what I have seen she can deal with lasers pretty well, she can f-tilt you after a laser and also has good platform movement wich allows her to stay out of range, basically this is a situation where I have found myself stuck, in Yoshi's Story she can drop in between platforms with aerials that cover alot of range, how can I deal with that situation and make better approaches ?

seko08sk

Smash Cadet
Shl>jab/ grab
Faded away Nair's
Or just zone her and make shiek approach you bait s whiff and then shine combo off of that
Watch out with full hops because they can easily punish you for it

Varist

Smash Lord
never challenge sheik's aerials unless you are at the ideal bair angle, all of her aerials beat yours and the best thing you can hope for sometimes is a dair trade. the matchup devolves into lasering sheik until she approaches you and then not messing up once you start hitting her shield. shine grab is great but usually can't lead to much as uthrow and fthrow are your only useful throws here, fthrow if it will lead to an edgeguard situation and uthrow if you want to get percent on her. don't make the mistake of trying to link a move directly after the uthrow, wait for her to land on a platform and punish that with a fast aerial or a shine waveland, or a waveland grab if you know you were late.

mix up your shield pressure between ideal, late, and fadeaway like you would for any matchup. learn doubleshining to give you a 4th shield pressure mixup and if she's still shieldgrabbing you after that reevaluate how obvious youre being or salute him for being that good

Last edited:

Ersijo

Smash Cadet
Sheik is a hard matchup, you can never lose momentum. Improve pressure and you will see that the matchup becomes easier.

Chino

Smash Rookie
If you get her off stage try to force her to recover on stage. Just watch top players vs Sheik and they will cover ledge which is her safest option if available.

ChrisRoxal

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChrisRoxal
what is the safest range to figth Sheik in ? I feel its mid but not to close, that way one can laser her and be wary of her approaches, also I feel its a good range to mix up your aproaches

Varist

Smash Lord
wherever you can hit her and she can't hit you or doesn't know clearly how best to hit you

ChrisRoxal

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChrisRoxal
ok thanks, and one question that i've had for a while now, how do I deal with Sheik's platform movement ? do I stay under her while she is on platform ? do I go to platform with her ? to I laser her from a distance ?

NosferatuZodd

Smash Rookie
In my experience, covering the platform with shine to bair or dair works pretty well. Usmash covers most platforms from underneath, or just any well spaced aerial in general. Sh uair if you want to get cute. As far as lasers go, Sh to DJ lasers covers mid platforms. While fh laser covers top platform.

ChrisRoxal

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChrisRoxal
Thanks, I have had more experience vs Sheik now :) honestly one thing im having trouble now is measuring my safe distance for throwing out lasers

Top Bottom