• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco vs GAW, weird Upthrow

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
Okay, so I was on DL64 at about 140% I get Upthrown by the Falco and seem to be affected by the side platform that was above me. It sets me upright, takes me out of tumble and reduces the upthrow knockback a LOT. After experimenting I found out that this can be done up to around 460% before the knockback becomes too great for the platform to work. I'm just putting it out there, if it's a new thing I'll experiment with it, see if it works with other characters and stages.

Is this new or old?

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
You can tech platforms above you off of the hit from Falco's laser from up throw. I think this may be what is causing what you see. You can see this effect easily on stages like FoD. Have the Falco upthrow you and hit L or R near the end of the throw animation and you should tech the platform above you if you are at the right % for the platform's height.

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
As far as I can tell, just Falco vs GAW. Haven't been able to tech it though, am still trying to get the timing down.

Hyuga: I think you're right, he does have the effect of the laser on him after recovering, but if so, why does this not work with other chars?

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
frozen chaos:

It only works with Falco's up throw because during it, he hits you with his lasers, which is a techable hit. Normally you can't tech anything on the way up, but at some combinations of % and platform height, the laser will hit you at just the right time so that you can tech the laser on the platform. So briefly, you're teching the laser, not the throw.

BloodBowler:

It should work with every character potentially. If you're having trouble with the timing, try to err on the side of doing it too early. You have a 20 frame window before the actual hit of the laser to hit the L or R button to tech. You might also just be at the wrong combination of % and platform height. I would suggest going to Fountain of Dreams to practice it; somehow I did it twice in a row in a tourney match when the platform was at its height just below its initial height, IIRC.

Top Bottom