• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco First Impressions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I don't believe there is a thread in the Falco sub-forum dedicated to this sort of topic, up until now that is.

So based on some of my first few matches playing as him in this entry, I've found that for the most part he can play pretty similar to how he does in Brawl. But there are a few pretty notable changes that I'm sure most of us have noticed.

First off, I think his killing (or KOing ability rather) has been weakened a bit with the alterations his Dair recieved. It's still capable of meteor smashes from what I've heard, but I've noticed that it's start up is much slower, requiring better use of timing to get an effective K.O. with, and has a bit more ending lag as well. This is my only real disappointment with Falco in this entry thus far.

Other than that, another major changed I've noticed is that his Lasers fire less frequently, and travel slower as well. For the sake of lowering the amount of potential projectile spamming, I think this was for the better. He also no longer seems to be capable of chaingrabbing, as the D-Throw sends characters a bit farther than in Brawl. I've tested this out with a few characters of different weights. Again, I think this particular change does a little more good than it does harm.

There are other notable changes that he's received but I found these ones to be the most significant so far, and I still feel he's a pretty viable character, one who's received some notable nerfs but not ones that will make him much worse in the long run. I'll get a much better idea of him at some point later on as I begin to use him more often and improve my skill, but hey, these are my first impressions after all. What are yours?

Last edited:

Legend Vermillion

Spanish Brawl Competitive Player
Well, I disagree with your opinion :(. In my opinion, Falco can´t play like he did in Brawl anymore, some reasons are his laser nerfs or the fact that they changed, erased or nerfed his tools and he can´t use em in the same way he did. KO potential is still bad but I think he can gimp enemies better/safer, anyway we have trouble getting KO again and that is awful :(. Also, dair has lost a lot of uses, now it can be used for gimping or followup juggles, no pressure or mixup utility anymore. I think the laser nerf is one of the worst nerfs and I also think its a very stupid one, I accept the fact that laser was too good but this nerf makes it almost useless, you can use it as an annoyer but I think there are always better options. DThrow has nice followups so its nice. Take this post from the perspective of a Falco mainer in Brawl, anyway I think comparing this new version with Melee Falco would be hard cuz Melee and SSB4 havent similar playstyles. Also remember we have just been playing this game for 1 week, a lot of this things could change a lot ^^

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yeah, as I said, these are just first impressions after all. The one thing that we actually can say for certain right now is that things will likely change overtime. I secondary Falco in Brawl and intend on doing so again in this entry, so my opinion of him will probably change considerably at some point as well.

The DThrow does still have some pretty nice potential follow-ups so if one handles it well it can still be a pretty effective move even without the ability to chaingrab.

Last edited:

Legend Vermillion

The DThrow does still have some pretty nice potential follow-ups so if one handles it well it can still a pretty effective move even without the ability to chain.
As far as I know, try to followup DThrow with USmash, FSmash, Nair or Dash Attack. Seems that these four followups work nicely but I think they are enemy´s weight dependant. Try em! :p

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
The only thing I don't like about Falco is his new voice. I mean, why does he sound like a bachelor trying to win the love of his life?

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
Falco lost his shine which pops his enemy into the air and he can no longer jump cancel shine. Falco also lost his laser approaches because landing during laser no longer cancels the laser animation. Landing during laser now carries too much lag for short-hop laser it to have any real utility.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Lack of laser spam and instant spike does not mean he's a sack of potatoes now. Treat him like a new fighter and use his other tools (which are strong) - that was likely the reason for the laser and spike nerfs. He's been buffed in other areas and is an amazing boxer.

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
I personally like Falco's voice, but that's because I put a lot of hours into Star Fox 64. Now Falco's laser I only use at long distances and to fire at enemies off-stage, though you're really better off trying to gimp them. His jab is great for getting damage, and you can keep it going until the enemy is about to escape at which you land the finisher. His fair is amazing and his bair is great at KOing, though I have trouble landing it sometimes. His nair is okay, but in my opinion you can get hit out of it too easily. His dair has startup meaning you have to use it a bit earlier, making it harder to use.

His dash attack is okay for approaching until your opponents learn to block it, at that point I switch it up with dash grabs or jabs. His tilts are alright, and his up smash got buffed (it's two hits and feels stronger.) His recovery is much better thanks to his side-b not putting him in helpless, which for Falco is a godsend that he dearly needs. It also allows him to take advantage of side-b's meteor properties more now, though I've rarely done so. His grabs are okay, though I feel only dthrow and bthrow are of any real use. His pummel is very fast. His shine is useful as it trips at low percents, helps stuff recoveries and has the side benefit of reflecting projectiles. Up B isn't useful for anything other than recovery.

Those are my first impressions, and I've begun using Falco as my secondary to Shulk. He's a lot of fun despite his flaws, and I personally think skilled players can take him very far come the Wii U version.

Legend Vermillion

... and his up smash got buffed (it's two hits and feels stronger.) His recovery is much better thanks to his side-b not putting him in helpless, which for Falco is a godsend that he dearly needs. It also allows him to take advantage of side-b's meteor properties more now, though I've rarely done so.
In my opinion, his UpSmash is worse now, it has tons of lag when it ends and anybody can punish you easily. And the sideB buff (now it doesnt put Falco in helpless at the end) looked so nice but practically I dont feel it useful (its so situational) since it has a lot of lag at the end. The time window since you end the SideB until you can input your UpB (or other move) is awfully long.

Last edited:
NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
In my opinion, his UpSmash is worse now, it has tons of lag when it ends and anybody can punish you easily. And the sideB buff (now it doesnt put Falco in helpless at the end) looked so nice but practically I dont feel it useful (its so situational) since it has a lot of lag at the end. The time window since you end the SideB until you can input your UpB (or other move) is awfully long.
I'm no expert on the intricacies of Falco, as this is the first game I've picked him up. Personally I've not been punished for an up-smash unless I put myself in a position to be punished, which is more on me than on Falco though I see your point.

I've used side B more often to just sweetspot the ledge or stall out the opponent's attempts to gimp, since I agree that it takes a while to go from side B to up B. Personally I prefer trying to wall jump to side B the ledge or if there's no wall just trying to get right back on the stage. I've not had much trouble with being edge guarded, though that may be because of the skill level of For Glory opponents. How do you recover with Falco?

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
falco, the bird who has the most useless projectile ever
-no distance
-lags

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
So far I feel the only complaints about Falco are from Brawl players that miss the horribly messed up laser. It's not "useless" in this game, its just a NORMAL PROJECTILE now.

Alexander Duprey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1865-0311-7929
So far I feel the only complaints about Falco are from Brawl players that miss the horribly messed up laser. It's not "useless" in this game, its just a NORMAL PROJECTILE now.
THANK YOU. All these buster ass falcos are just hurt, laser is still solid in the neutral especially if you Breverse it.

nottl

Smash Rookie
Well, it is still much worse then most other characters projectiles. But it is not useless, either, and plays a pretty critical roll in offstage game to step up f.air attempts. It is as good as it needs to be for the role it has now.

I haven't used any of the customs yet. The exploding one seems interesting but no one is working with it.

Alexander Duprey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1865-0311-7929
Well, it is still much worse then most other characters projectiles. But it is not useless, either, and plays a pretty critical roll in offstage game to step up f.air attempts. It is as good as it needs to be for the role it has now.

I haven't used any of the customs yet. The exploding one seems interesting but no one is working with it.
I've messed with it, I like it a lot but idk if I would use it over default. It makes your zoning a lot more effective and I played a game where I got a high laser into a grounded laser into a Fair Spike trade to win a game.

But I was so excited about it I forgot to save the replay

shaneknows

Smash Rookie
My first impression is that he is the worst character in the game. Ugh, I can't even get through a 2-min match with him, he sucks so bad.
He is far from the worst. I feel like he has more options overall in this one. Phantasm and fair are great for edge guarding. His shine is great for reflecting and messing up approaches. Bair is great for killing. His recovery options are insane (especially on stages you can jump off walls). So many follow ups off of his throw(dthrow -> fair -> sweep depending on di). And he is only going to get better as the meta improves and we can actually use a joystick. Losing lasers and fair make him more interesting IMHO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom