• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco Chaingrab Spiking Question

neji49

Smash Cadet
Whenever I try the chaingrab into spike combo it doesn't quite work. I'm against Bowser, so I know he's heavy enough. He grabs onto the edge before I can spike him. How will I get it? Just keep practicing or something. Also, what percentages would be ideal and if you have the oppurtunity to grab them again when they're off the edge should you? Or just proceed straight into the spike?

MyRevenge.

Smash Journeyman
Maybe you need to grab closer to the edge, or maybe off the edge like you said... and make sure you shot hop the spike...
I'm not really an expert at it either but I've been able to do it quit well...
BTW, are you still using dthrow as ur final grab or fthrow?

Kensei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kenseithomas
Just make sure your grabbing them above the end of the ledge ( so the opponent basicaly has no floor under him). d-throw then quickly short hop into a D-air while DIing to the right and its done... try it on ganondorf first or someone big on training mode at about 40% then go on to other characters.

Ceruvik

Smash Cadet
What they said. D throw short hop to dair RDI. Sounds like some sick skateboarding move....

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
Okay well... it's just chaingrabbing until you throw them off the ledge, then when bowser or whoever is almost at Falco's short hop level, short hop and dair into them of the ledge. I did this on a kirby yesterday, so I'll try and get a recording of it up soon.

neji49

Smash Cadet
Wait you have to DI with the dair? Hmmm, I don't think I've been doing that. When to you start to DI after dairing? Because when I do it before, I end up fairing. And yes, I have been d-throwing, not f-throwing

Spudnick

Smash Apprentice
yeah, make sure you use the c-stick so you don't accidentally fast fall down with him. Also, right after you do the d-air start doing your DI towards your opponent.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
Wait you have to DI with the dair? Hmmm, I don't think I've been doing that. When to you start to DI after dairing? Because when I do it before, I end up fairing. And yes, I have been d-throwing, not f-throwing
You DI back to the stage... so you don't fall and die. It's just common logic. Use your c-stick if you're having trouble executing your dair while DIing.

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
yeah, make sure you use the c-stick so you don't accidentally fast fall down with him. Also, right after you do the d-air start doing your DI towards your opponent.
Unless you change the controller setup, you will fastfall when you hit down on the C-stick. If you're at the peak of your jump and you hit the C-stick down, it fast falls automatically now. Lame, yeah. This should be executed quickly though, so if you're even moderately fast with your thumbs you should be able to dair before you hit the peak anyway. Fastfalling is not an issue here.

Edit: By "change your controller setup" I mean changing the c-stick to "attack" instead of "smash." I haven't tested it myself, but I hear that changing it to that corrects the fast fall problem.

neji49

Smash Cadet
C-stick? Haven't been using that either. Probably should try.(Sorry I'm a bit of a noob). About DIing, do you mean to DI to appraoch? Or DI to retreat. Or both?

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
C-stick? Haven't been using that either. Probably should try.(Sorry I'm a bit of a noob). About DIing, do you mean to DI to appraoch? Or DI to retreat. Or both?
The DI for doing it is kind of a full circle... just imagine that the direction you DI is like a rubber band attached to Falco from the stage, and you are DIing towards the start of that elastic.

neji49

Smash Cadet
Well I've come to two conclusions. My target is below my short hop level my the time I'm in position for the spike. This means either my fingers are too slow. Or I try to jump while the chaingrab's lag hasn't worn off and that delays the reaction. Is it possible for the second one?If so when will the lag from the chaingrab wear off? If it isn't, well I guess it's back to training for me. Thanks for all the help by the way. :) I really need it.

Top Bottom