• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fair = Best Approach?

bigafromusclekid

Smash Cadet
I use fair's a lot to advance and instantly jab out of it once to grab. I was wondering what other techniques other's use to advance.

Rang Flash

Smash Journeyman
I've been using fair as my main approach in ranked online matches, and it really gets the job done. It's best to space it so that you hit with just the very tip, so that you can avoid whatever attack they will try to do.

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
Approaches with Ike? about half his moveset. But seriously:

F-air if you need a quick (lawl I just used quick to describe something about Ike) attack to approach from the air with.

N-air if you're uncertain what they might do, and you can follow up nicely when you land since it's one of the few moves that have little lag. Since it lasts forever and hits pretty much everywhere, this is what I use most of the time, plus it has little knock back and it sends them pretty much straight up, which lets me combo with an Aether or any other aerial (or another N-air if you feel like it)

B-air if you decide to do the Reverse Dash Jump I think it's called? where you turn around and jump while running. Be sure that you know you're going to hit them (in other words, if they're a big character, or you know they'll be in the air). If you miss you'll get smacked.

I actually found my self approaching with a full jump D-air, because if they jump at all or misjudge it, it'll hit, knock them in the air, and there is no lag if you do it right because the move ended.

And then you got the quick draw, which is very versatile, so play around with that.

Or you can dash attack cause it has wicked range, run up and jab them cause it's amazing, jump in the air and try an eruption when they are close and make use of his super armor.

Seriously, Ike has a LOT of approaches.

Gill

Smash Journeyman
Jump and grand viper if they're gonna spam their projectiles the second the match starts.

Eddy01741

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I use Fair and RAR (reverse aerial rush)+Bair as my main approaches. Fair is very easy to pull off, and even though there is a pretty signficant lag before, I still manage to hit my opponents. RAR+Bair is a low lag attack, but if they see an RAR, they know it's coming. I'm still working on perfecting the RAR+Bair approach, and I have to use Ike more in general to perfect the grand viper (use side+B and stop RIGHT in front of them, then follow up with grab or utilt).

ShortAssassin

Smash Journeyman
I actually find myself approaching with Nair more often than Fair, although I plan on coordinating Fair into my game more. I like RAR, but I find that I miss with it quite a bit. Not sure if it's my timing or if the characters my friend is playing is just too short lol.

bigafromusclekid

Smash Cadet
I find Fair isn't as good of an approach because if they shield it, you're screwed. I like to use fair as a tech- chase due to the range, and therefore the speed doesn't matter as much. Grand Viper is also good, but having options for tech chasing is nice.

Deathmethod

Smash Rookie
It all depends on who you are fighting. However one of the best approaches IMO is the Nair, because of these few reasons:

1) Wide range, from above to behind.

2) Good damage and better knockback than Fair (try in 10 man melee).

3) No landing lag.

Also RAR Bair is good, however it is a kind of small hitbox. Characters without projectiles or much range you can try to QD to jab combo/cancel something which can be followed up easily, for a quick advantage in damage.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
It all depends on who you are fighting. However one of the best approaches IMO is the Nair, because of these few reasons:

1) Wide range, from above to behind.

2) Good damage and better knockback than Fair (try in 10 man melee).

3) No landing lag.

Also RAR Bair is good, however it is a kind of small hitbox. Characters without projectiles or much range you can try to QD to jab combo/cancel something which can be followed up easily, for a quick advantage in damage.
Fair actually has better knockback. Other than that, you were right on the money.

Top Bottom