• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

fair bair and dair?

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
I have some problems using these attacks. Fair is good when an opponent is in the air and too far away for a Nair, but I'm not sure when to use them otherwise. My biggest concern is how often they're canceled from landing if I try to approach with them. Anyone have any advice?

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
I have some problems using these attacks. Fair is good when an opponent is in the air and too far away for a Nair, but I'm not sure when to use them otherwise. My biggest concern is how often they're canceled from landing if I try to approach with them. Anyone have any advice?
You'll get the hang of the approach timings, you're just unfamiliar with them and it takes getting used to. Though be careful with the lag, don't go doing unsafe stuff. Generally fastfalled nair is the best way to return to the stage, other than that the range is laughably short. Dedede doesn't have great anti-air aerials, but they work great if you're the aggressor in the air, making him excellent at edgeguarding, even more so with his 4927 jumps. Just stick to the stage if you're not edgeguarding/gimping would be my advice.

Ofcourse juggling your opponent is fine. Just don't try clanking aerials if you're not in control of the aerial fight, as lot of aerials outspeed yours, I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts to words today so sorry if I'm being vague.

Last edited:

ccthirteen

Smash Apprentice
I've won a disturbing number of matches with bair alone. With bair, I'll get my spacing right when I'm above someone (preferably close to the edge with my back to it) then FF bair. It'll hit like a truck, is often unexpected and you can follow it with another bair off the ledge for those with good horizontal recovery.

I'll mix it up with a FF dair but only when I know it will hit and is unexpected. The dair comes out too slow to be reliable when not combined with a FF. Too predictable and easily countered.

FF nairs are great when combined with a SH.

Lastly, a tip but if someone tries to FF, air dodge or combination of both to get past your uair and you've started the animation for the uair, do a quick FF yourself. The air dodge animation ends while you're still going and at least the last, launching hit will connect.

I'm firmly of the belief that KD3 has one of the best air games on the roster.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
I firmly believed the opposite for a while, and settled for him having a really average air game.
Strong disjointed attacks are good on paper, but in practice, they're nothing great, thanks to his horrendous air mobility. Luckily we have fast fall, which makes using aerials when only slightly above the ground decent.

Our aerials are good, but our air game isn't, if that makes sense.

FF Bair is amazing for edgeguarding; there's generally very little room for people to respect it off-stage.
However on stage, it becomes extremely telegraphed and pretty unreliable. Unreliable basically define most of TripleD's on stage game anyway.

To answer the OP, you'll need to know the timing on your aerials, as Jax stated so you can land fast-falled aerials effectively. If you're airborne and your opponent is on the ground commititng to any kind of move, you can sometimes surprise them with a FF Fair.

SH FF Nair is a great punish to rolls on reaction, which combos into UpTilt(s) at lower %.

I believe approaching with aerials isn't really that good. Bair can safely poke shields, but doesn't really accomplish anything. If you need to approach, you're probably better off SHFF over whatever blocks your path and space with FTilt.

Our ground/low air game is really where it's at; use your air game for edgeguarding, not much else.

Prawn

Smash Master
I kill with bair off of read air dodges and rolls so often because it's fresh as I don't use it for anything else.

Fair is great for edge guarding, dedede has a great recovery so go way far off and get an early ko or gimp

Dair.....tbh id say forget that's even a move but I'd like to see anyone else's uses

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
speaking of returns, i had a hilarious victory over a good sheik where i randomly did upb back to the stage, but timed it so i'd fall to my death, and it spiked her to her death first. but the replay was destroyed. :\

Powda

Smash Apprentice
speaking of returns, i had a hilarious victory over a good sheik where i randomly did upb back to the stage, but timed it so i'd fall to my death, and it spiked her to her death first. but the replay was destroyed. :\
This works without your dieing as long as half your body hits the stage. I've spiked many and use it in mix ups, I'll roll to the edge while they are off the side and UpB, it spikes em every now and then.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I actually use my dairs (not recommended unless you just know it will hit) and bairs mostly when I'm coming down on a grounded opponent from the air. It almost always catches them off guard and hits them sideways and up, which you can then use to enter aircombos (or if they're at a high % and they go offstage, fair, fair, fair!). The timing is a little wacky, especially with the dair, but learning it pays off in my opinion.

Fairs are strictly air-game and edgeguarding and they work pretty well, but I highly recommend that if your opponent is above you, you use your upair. The priority on that move is redonkulous.

Last edited:

Prawn

Smash Master
I actually use my dairs and bairs mostly when I'm coming down on a grounded opponent from the air. It almost always catches them off guard and hits them sideways and up, which you can then use to enter aircombos (or if they're at a high % and they go offstage, fair, fair, fair!). The timing is a little wacky, especially with the dair, but learning it pays off in my opinion.

Fairs are strictly air-game and edgeguarding and they work pretty well, but I highly recommend that if your opponent is above you, you use your upair. The priority on that move is redonkulous.
I use the late bairs for kills too but dair just seems bad. does anyone have any concrete stuff about dair they could share

ccthirteen

Smash Apprentice
Its a bit of an unpopular opinion, but I'm not necessarily a fan of fair. I'll more commonly come down with a FF dair only if I know it will hit, then pivot and bair when they are recovering.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
I use the late bairs for kills too but dair just seems bad. does anyone have any concrete stuff about dair they could share
Move is a goddamn crapshoot lol

It lags for 10 years if you land with it too.

Last edited:

Prawn

Smash Master
Yeah I ain't about dair

Nair for combos/strings

Fair for edge guards and walls of pain

Fresh bair for kills

Uair for juggles

Dair for accidental inputs

ccthirteen

Smash Apprentice
I've noticed dair auto canceling at the right frames with almost no landing lag. Does fair have a lot of landing lag? I thought I had noticed a lot of it with fair.

I'll only use dair as a mixup when completely unexpected and combined with a FF. Though I'm trying to get more used to just FF airdodge (through their attack) followed by jump uair to turn their juggle attempt into mine.

Genghis_Connor

Smash Cadet
NNID
Genghis_Connor27
3DS FC
4356-1827-2712
All of them are pretty good in their own right, except maybe dair. Fair is one of the better options out of dthrow, can edgeguard decently well (I hate that it doesn't kill on its own until really late, though; makes edgeguarding Villager and other such un-gimpable characters a nightmare), and can create a decent wall of pain. Bair is great for kills when fresh, and is a decent followup out of dthrow at mid percents because of how much damage it does. Upair is ****ing fantastic in any number of situations, form juggles to kills to dthrow followups to covering recoveries to... well, you get the point. Nair is literally God. I don't even need to explain why. Dair is ok, but it's hard to land the spike offstage, has a ton of landing lag, and isn't great onstage because of how small the hitbox is. It's a good mixup I guess, but we have better tools onstage and off.

Prawn

Smash Master
I really wish dair was good because d3 with a good spike would be dope

Top Bottom