• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FADC Waveland Test Results (DL64)

Fique

Smash Rookie
During some practice time beating up some level 9 CPUs a few days ago, I thought I'd stumbled upon a potential new use for Ryu's oft misunderstood focus attack (down-b) when performing aerial dash-cancels while nearly touching the ground again. Upon finally getting around to testing it today (on Dreamland 64), I realized it DOES slide you a very short distance. Unfortunately, depending on how far you are from the ground when you FADC (Focus Attack Dash Cancel), it actually moves you a shorter distance than a standing FADC. The tests yielded some interesting results, however:

1) If you FADC forward late enough, the double-tap input puts you straight into a dash without having to input a third forward tap.

2) If you FADC backward with similar timing, it results in a pivot which, if you continue holding that direction, turns into a dash.

Further testing with DL64's low platforms resulted in some dubiously useful information:

1) No combination of Ryu's full hop with normal aerials will get him onto DL64's low platforms, BUT:

a) The jump boost from any hadouken (neutral-b) can get him up there with a full hop (even when performed before the jump's peak)

b) A rising FADC* in either direction WILL get him onto the low platforms.

* - This refers to the actual, aerial dash-cancel. Performing a rising focus attack (down-b) without a dash-cancel (double-tap either foward or backward without having let go of the b button) will NOT allow him to make it onto these platforms with a full hop.

The timing for this result is a little bit tricky (and I got it more consistently with back-dashes rather than forward-dashes), but perhaps this kind of knowledge will end up being of use once I've shared it.

P.S.: The rising FADC platform landings variably resulted in normal landings and the forward-dash landings or (when back-dashing) the backward-pivot-dash landings.

P.P.S.: Please give these options a try during practice or in training mode to see if we can't find more uses for them! (And sorry for the massive post. Still pretty new to posting and I'm using my phone)

Upon further consideration, I assume the short travel distance of the slide is due to Ryu having very high traction. I'll try to test this under lower-traction conditions when I'm next able.

Last edited by a moderator:

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
This seems interesting. I'll try to incorporate these in practice sessions where this can apply.

Top Bottom