• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Extract mdl0 from .bin files?

marth_010

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone,

I've recently started messing around with brawl by adding psa's and customizing music and pictures. I decided that it may be fun to try and see what I could do myself.

Currently I'm stuck on extracting models from Wii iso's. All I can find are .bin files that have all the contents of the character in the games I want (Like Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World). I can view the models perfectly in brres viewer and I can play animations, but I cannot seem to find a way to extract the brres or mdl0 files from it. I've also tried hexing the .bin file to no success (while brawlbox can preview the model, I cannot extract textures or anything).

Any help is greatly appreciated

SqLeon

Smash Journeyman
In the bin file the model and textures should be contained in a brres file, in hex it starts with "bres". Copy all of it until you reach the next brres file and put it in a different file and save it as .brres. If there is no brres file, and only a model file, then the textures in hex would start with "tex0".

marth_010

Smash Rookie
Thank you for the quick reply.

I did what you suggested and copied the first bres i found in the text string all the way down to the second bres (a mdlo was also in the text string along the way). I copied it to a second hex file and made it a brres.

However, after hexing the brres file either manually or with the auto hexer, brawlbox wont seem to like it. It will give me an error saying "unhandled exeption has occurred in you application". The thing is, I can preview the character's bones with this error and sometimes, I can open the model to look at the materials.

Most importantly, I cannot successfully export the raw model data. It'll just give me the error when I export and, when i go to load it, the materials will not load with it. Any advice?

SqLeon

Smash Journeyman
If your getting the files from Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, I think I remeber seeing somewhere that the bone structure from the models in that game are pretty messed up and need to be fixed some how. The only person I've seen fix it was RandomTBush. If it's a different file I don't know what's wrong, you can send it to me if you want.

marth_010

Smash Rookie
That's ok sqleon, those Tales models seem like a big project to take as a beginner anyways lol. I'm starting to look at Animal Crossing now and things seem a lot better.

And take your time RandomTBush. Once your tutorial comes out, I will be the first person to read it :bee:

Top Bottom