• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTEREMELY New and Would Like Some Help

Beastx

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,
I just downloaded PM today and am looking to get good enough to compete at a relatively high level. I know how to wavedash but that is the limit of my tech skill. All advice is welcome and i look forward to being a part of this community in the future

Royal-X

Smash Ace
Greetings and welcome to the community. I believe the most important universal tech to get down is the L-Cancel (and eventually the SHFFL). Once you practice that for a while and can do it consistently you can move onto other techs like Wavedashing, Wavelanding, Moonwalking, and more.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Wrote this on reddit the other day to someone asking about techniques to learn, I'll paste it here:

L-canceling and SHFFLing are absolutely essential and should be the first things you learn. In PM your character will flash when you successfully L-cancel to signal that you did it correctly.

Ness, Lucas, and Yoshi should master Double Jump Canceling, which is even better than SHFFLing. Peach and Mewtwo get to upgrade even further to Float Canceling.

DI and Teching are vital survival tools. They can save your life.

Dashdancing and Wavedashing are important movement techniques. Dashdancing is very easy to incorporate into your game as a beginner, while Wavedashes can be a bit trickier. Start by using it as a substitute for rolling, and practice doing it out of shield. Once that's second nature you'll get a feel for where else it's good for.

When running, most characters should use Jump-canceled Grabs instead of slower and riskier dash grabs. Also use DACUS as an alternative to regular running upsmashes, though note that DK, Diddy, and Kirby cannot do this in PM. For everyone else, PM has changed the timing window for DACUS to exactly two frames and it doesn't matter whether you use A or Z.

If you play Peach, Link, Toon Link, Snake, or ROB, learn Glide Tossing and Aerial Glide Toss (same thing but with airdodges). AGT basically lets you airdodge and act out of it, making for a very handy recovery tool. Any character can do it, but only when there are items on the field so you'll only get a chance to when fighting against those same characters. So even if you don't main them it may still be handy to learn for those matchups, but consider it a low priority.

For style points, learn to Taunt Cancel. This is actually important for Samus, since she can switch beams faster with it. For everyone else, it's just cool.

Beastx

Smash Rookie
Greetings and welcome to the community. I believe the most important universal tech to get down is the L-Cancel (and eventually the SHFFL). Once you practice that for a while and can do it consistently you can move onto other techs like Wavedashing, Wavelanding, Moonwalking, and more.
Thanks! How would I go about practicing L-Cancelling and SHFFL?

Last edited:

Rizner

Smash Ace
Tech skill is probably not the most important thing if you're just getting into smash. Go to events, get bodied, don't get salty, keep playing, pay attention to what your opponents do and what you do, get and watch replays of your games, and just watch your decision making process. Being a good player > being a technical player.

Of course, once you start to get that down you will have a ceiling until more tech is developed.

Royal-X

Smash Ace
Well choose whatever character you like to use and practice L-Canceling their aerials from short hops, full hops, and other varying heights until you feel comfortable with it. Once you get their fast fall their aerials from a short hop and L-Cancel their aerials, sometimes in quick succession until it becomes muscle memory

やみKirby

Smash Apprentice
For L-Canceling, i would recommend going into training mode, set it to the slowest (x1/4?) and practicing with that until u can do it every time, then gradually increase the speed until u can do it 100% of time in 1x speed. Also, if u want, u can turn on attack for cpu

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
To l cancel you want to get comfortable on short hopping once you do that you want to learn how to fast fall. How you should do it is by doing an aireal when you jump and then fast fall when you reach the peak of your jump. Once you fast fall you immediately l cancel. Hop >aireal>fastfall>L cancel immidetly.

Foo

Smash Lord
Hey guys,
I just downloaded PM today and am looking to get good enough to compete at a relatively high level. I know how to wavedash but that is the limit of my tech skill. All advice is welcome and i look forward to being a part of this community in the future
Well, first you are going to need to decide what character(s) you are playing (preferably 3 at most). Depending on the mains you select, you will have to start off with different sets of tech skill and strategies.

Top Bottom