• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Extending combos via platform canceling aerials

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
So this is something i found today and it takes advantage of the fact that Ryu has very low landing lag on his aerials....SIGNIFICANTLY less than if he was to use them in the air and wait for the move and end lag to finish. If you haven't seen my thread before this, I basically contested uair's viability as it has massive end lag and doesn't really combo into anything truely...enter platform canceling.

So basically if there's a platform above and you want to combo with uair, you uair through the platform and fast fall back to the platform to cancel the end lag and replace it with landing lag letting you combo freely. I've only tested uair but the other moves work just the same. It's just about finding the followups. I know this can be construed as "yeah, no duh" but it's something you really have to think about if we want the most out of this character. Below is a quick video I made showing the uair cancel when i was messing around in training. I showoff some true combo follow ups but not nearly all that is possible.

Basic rule of thumb is that at low percents, go for tilt follow ups and medium percents go for aerial followups. High percents don't combo except maybe shoryuken

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Love the work you've been putting in lately. You have a good mind for finding combos. When I figured out using uair like this my only other followup I had in mind was another uair. Great stuff.

I'm curious, do you think Ryu benefits from platforms moreso than not? With the potential of getting resets and platform traps like this im starting to think so.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Awesome find dude. Between finding the I-frames on Ryus Dsmash, Weak Ftilt, and Tatsu and this it's been a good day for Ryu tech.

Edit:you might want to add this to the Ryu fundamentals thread. This seems like all aspiring Ryu mains need to practice.

Last edited:

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Love the work you've been putting in lately. You have a good mind for finding combos. When I figured out using uair like this my only other followup I had in mind was another uair. Great stuff.

I'm curious, do you think Ryu benefits from platforms moreso than not? With the potential of getting resets and platform traps like this im starting to think so.
Thanks mate! Our skype group hasn't gotten to stage discussions yet but my general consensus is Ryu does well on stages with or without platforms. The issue is how much our opponents get out of the platforms. We gain all these cool jab lock combos and combining our opponents upwards and downwards (testing downwards combos today) yet we somewhat lose our ability to zone with hadukens. At the same time we gain a new zoning ability to attack platforms or force them to stay on platforms by hadukening below them.....so I can't really say for sure

Something that really irks me though is that Ryu can't FH onto base dreamland platforms or SV platform. He can FH FADC onto dreamland platforms which is weird but not being able to FH there could be detrimental. At the same time I could see him being able to FH aerial and not reach the platform be a plus in some ways. We'll see how he starts to breakdown over time

Top Bottom