• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Explosive Pluck / Solimar

dbwithlemon

Smash Apprentice
I've been enjoying explosive pluck, but was looking for a way to incorporate it due to the clear constant loss of pikmin.
A basic tactic has formed that works quite well, if not what was intended.

With explosive pluck, you never want a full roster of pikmin, you always want the explosion to be available. This also serves as a nice deterrent for dash attacks as it comes out quickly enough to punish them hard.

Not sure if it worked this way in brawl as I didn't play Olimar much, but I've found if you only have 1 pikmin(clearly a purple), then they get used for all moves(with no delay between aerials)

So lately, I've just been tossing them over the side and keeping a single purple, while also using the explosion liberally. If the situation warrants it, I've no issue tossing a white on here and there for some nice damage, but mostly been playing a close up game with

Any thoughts or feedback as I'm far from a top player

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
I enjoy the explosive pluck as well, though many people on here prefer the original for speed. I just go about my normal Alph routines but with 2 Pikmin out for versatility but also the threat of having at least one explosion up my sleeve because one of my pikmin is probably going to die in combat, encouraging me to go for an explosive pluck. I wonder how good a grab release > e-pluck combo would work. Also at early %, a D-tilt>D-tilt>D-tilt>(maybe U-tilt)>E-pluck could work, I'll test in a little bit.

I also work on my Nolimar combat because of his good tilts and jab. And because there's nothing more demoralizing than being bodied by a Pikminless Pikman. So yeah, explosive pluck gives Nolimar a great option to utilize. I always run for the opponent when I respawn to pluck. Also I'm not sure about the effects, but depending on what Pikmin you pluck sometimes it does the status damage/effect when you pluck on somebody. Most obvious is the white one.

dbwithlemon

Smash Apprentice
The visual of the damage they take depends on the pikmin, as well as amount of dmg. However, i don't think it has any lasting effect, you just see the poison effect when they are hit.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Yeah okay, that's good to know. Mine wouldn't stick anyway. When I go custom Alph, I choose Hardy Pikmin (don't stick; true projectile) and Explosive Pluck with the rest being default.

dbwithlemon

Smash Apprentice
I think Hardy Pikmin is a neutral special that gives them extra life. You're thinking of Pikmin tackle.

I gave tackle a shot, and I like that it turns it into a true projectile and gives purples a dmg boost, but it gimps your white pikimin, which are a huge dmg source.
I think it's a matter of playstyle, I like that Olimar's customs can so significantly change his options.

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
I'm lost guys. What's an explosive pluck?

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
I'm lost guys. What's an explosive pluck?
Explosive Pikmin Pluck is a custom move for Olimar's neutral B. Plucking a Pikmin creates a small explosion that does decent damage and knockback against a nearby opponent; damage and knockback is color-dependent. It grants Olimar an extra attack if he has two Pikmin or less out, but Pikmin have less health, so little that they generally die in just one solid hit. The move also makes Olimar pluck Pikmin more slowly (but faster than Hardy Pikmin Pluck, Olimar's other custom move for neutral B), and they pop out higher from the ground than normal, forcing you to wait for them to land or grab them out of their falling animation with an aerial. The move also has a bit of endlag, so nearby opponents that shield the explosion or far away opponents that can close the distance quickly as Olimar is plucking can take advantage of the vulnerability.

Veskah

Smash Rookie
Has anyone had a hard time using this? I figure it would be pretty difficult considering Banana's point about shielding it and the significant loss of speed compared to a normal pluck.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
I rarely get punished for it surprisingly. Then again I fight people that are good...(ish), but that I beat pretty consistently. If we had CUSTOM TOURNAMENTS I would have a better idea how this would work in higher level play.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Has anyone had a hard time using this? I figure it would be pretty difficult considering Banana's point about shielding it and the significant loss of speed compared to a normal pluck.
Probably the optimal times to use this are when your opponent is too far away to punish the endlag and using it as a "get away from me" move if the opponent is close to you. Maybe an OoS option?

The OP was intending to make use of it as an offensive option though, so I'm not sure if these uses apply.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Can you use it to edgeguard and maybe get the 1 frame ledge grab? Or is the rising pikmin the main hitbox?

Can you pluck OoS?

Top Bottom