• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Explain like I'm 5 on how the Misfire Changed in 3.0.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
In the Changelog for 3.0 it said Luigi's way to hold a misfire changed, what does this mean exactly?

cmart

Smash Lord
As long as you're holding shield you will not misfire. If you are not holding shield you can misfire. Luigi will still flash (in fact he'll flash more) if he has one available

VhatDeHel

Smash Apprentice
I feel like I may be alone thinking this, but for the moment, I don't really like this change. There are times when I don't want to use my misfire/store it for later but then I realize I have to hold the shield button and it's a bit uncomfortable for me. I end up wasting my misfires a lot because I forget or some of the time it takes a bit for me to move my finger to the shield button and I end up falling more when trying to recover. I think I might like this system better if you hold R to misfire instead of holding R to NOT misfire, but yeah...What do you guys think?

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
This basically allows you to charge them really quickly off ledges too, with only a DJ straight from ledge-drops.
Use them liberally. Like literally, hit someone? Misfire after you hit them. Free kills and kill set-ups all day.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I feel like I may be alone thinking this, but for the moment, I don't really like this change. There are times when I don't want to use my misfire/store it for later but then I realize I have to hold the shield button and it's a bit uncomfortable for me. I end up wasting my misfires a lot because I forget or some of the time it takes a bit for me to move my finger to the shield button and I end up falling more when trying to recover. I think I might like this system better if you hold R to misfire instead of holding R to NOT misfire, but yeah...What do you guys think?
I feel you, it definitely feels very uncomfortable for me as well, but I do think the change opens up some new options for Luigi, but I've definitely been flubbing my recovery a lot more because of the awkwardness of trying to hold shield while I recover.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
Unless I am doing it wrong, I've never successfully stored a Luigi misfire, even when I try to hold down my shield the whole time. Eventually Luigi has to shoot, and when he does, for me, he always misfires if he had one ready. I don't like it so far. I'm hoping I'm just doing something wrong is all.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
It takes time. If you want my tip, don't hold shield until right before you release B, if you hold it all the way your posture will be weird. Treat it almost like a timed button press and it'll feel more like you're wavedashing kinda.

Kati

Smash Lord
So has any reason been given as to why it was changed? I was planning on dropping Luigi once the final veterans were released, but this change took away any consideration I had of ever going back.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
So has any reason been given as to why it was changed? I was planning on dropping Luigi once the final veterans were released, but this change took away any consideration I had of ever going back.
But it gives him so many new options for mind games, it may feel awkward to execute, but I think it was a change for the better overall, not to mention the Melee shield pushback was a significant buff to Luigi's OoS game.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Yeah I'd have to agree with James here. It's hard at first but it definitely adds more options and makes his recovery less predictable by a small margin. It also lets you accurately sweetspot ledges with a weak charge on Green Missile, which is super handy. It really just adds a button press for a few other interesting options that benefit him.

cmart

Smash Lord
TTTTTsd and deadjames are correct. We're attempting to inject a few more options into missile usage, which necessitated another button press. Let us know how it's treating you, and if the slight advantages are worth the change in muscle memory.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Holding shield is probably the easiest/fairest button change. My only question though is whether pressing or holding shield affects his ability to tech any. Does it count towards the tech "fail window"?

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
Think of it like shiek's darts. If you want to store the darts, hold the shield button. With luigi, hold the shield button before releasing the b button.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
I've implemented Wavedashing heavily in my game play, with all the characters I use, so pressing L or R feels fine to me, my indexes are already resting on the two buttons. Where else would your index fingers be anyways?

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the info, I've been practicing it quite a bit now. Down throw at high percent. Up throw at low. I'm loving it so far.

Yoki

Smash Apprentice
It would be more intuitive if you just needed to press the shield button to store the charge, as holding a shoulder button while releasing another way is an odd input that has no other equivalent in smash. It's still fine as it is, but some more time is needed to adjust than if it was a simple press, I would think.

Top Bottom