• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Exercises to improve character control? (Also some controller config/pivot grab)

LionKeith

Smash Rookie
I have a hard time making my characters move in the way that I would like. I play marth, and I feel like I am significantly less mobile/speedy than this ike-
Youtube link- /watch?v=mw66-t_1spk

What exercises can I do to improve character control?

In conjunction, what is a good way to practice my DI and SDI so that I can make it more automatic?
(preferably methods that dont require a friend)

Secondly, whenever I am shielded, the side c stick makes me roll, with online input lag, this means I roll instead of punish a lot. Is there anything I can do about this?

Also, I cant pivot grab in SSB4 reliably, because for whatever reason, my grab button (x) makes me do my Ftilt when I try to pivot grab about 80% of the time. What can I do about this? Is it my configuration?

Finally, should I be using the Cstick for all air attacks so that I can DI? Or is the A button faster for some/most things?

Aurora Sparkle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aurora-Sparkle

Also, I cant pivot grab in SSB4 reliably, because for whatever reason, my grab button (x) makes me do my Ftilt when I try to pivot grab about 80% of the time. What can I do about this? Is it my configuration?
I have my X button set to Grab as well and the same thing happens to me all the time. It also makes it so that when I use the X button to airdodge 60% or so of the time my character will perform an aerial attack instead (even Nair) which results in me getting hit by things I definitely would have dodged.
I've always wondered if that was due to the configuration or if it was just something I was doing wrong. :ohwell:

Last edited:

LionKeith

Smash Rookie
For air attacks, if you use the analog stick to direct your attacks, you cant control how you move while doing the attack. But it takes longer to get my thumb down to the c stick and flick it, so I was hoping someone had some input about it. IE.

Highrankedplayer: "I use the cstick for all my air attacks and its no problem"

Or the opposite.

I have my X button set to Grab as well and the same thing happens to me all the time. It also makes it so that when I use the X button to airdodge 60% or so of the time my character will perform an aerial attack instead (even Nair) which results in me getting hit by things I definitely would have dodged.
I've always wondered if that was due to the configuration or if it was just something I was doing wrong. :ohwell:
Im pretty sure its new to smash 4. I also dont understand why my cstick is making my ever use my neutral attack. I read its from when you push the opposite way you are aiming with the analog, but I havent been able to replicate it, and it seems like it is just a huge hindrance

TL;DR
SAKIIIIRAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

RESET Vao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RESET_Imp
Weaving with an aerial isn't DI. I know what you're trying to say but you're wording it poorly.

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
I also dont understand why my cstick is making my ever use my neutral attack. I read its from when you push the opposite way you are aiming with the analog, but I havent been able to replicate it, and it seems like it is just a huge hindrance
From what I've been able to gather from testing, it's what happens when you hit perfectly diagonal on the c-stick in the air.

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
Im pretty sure its new to smash 4. I also dont understand why my cstick is making my ever use my neutral attack. I read its from when you push the opposite way you are aiming with the analog, but I havent been able to replicate it, and it seems like it is just a huge hindrance

TL;DR
SAKIIIIRAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
I don't think it's new to smash 4 because I recall that exact instance happening to me when I used grab in brawl. either it would attack or dodge and it's never when I want it to be.

Top Bottom