• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Everything wrong with Smash Tour

D

Deleted member

I think we can all agree that Smash Tour...is just downright bad. I tried to like it, but in the end, the luck-based BS of it all turned me towards hating it. But just how bad is Smash Tour? I'll let you all decide. Go ahead and list any or every gripe you have with Smash Tour.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Main gripe, Latias and Latios being used in a 2v2 battle.
Suddenly battle is 1v3 with me as the one. Bonus points if it is 300% mode or if an opponent uses the Wolfen/Hammer on me and the stage is Pac-Land and I spawn right next to the hammer guy.
Tl;dr, the A.I.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
They should of just ported a better looking and deeper Smash Run with Online, would have been way better

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Everything. Seriously, its the worst thing I've ever seen in a Smash Bros. game. Worse than the SSE, worse than tripping, worse than Brawl's online. Its CalvinBall in video game form. Waste of disc space as far as I'm concerned.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Online Smash Run for Wii U woulda been amazing

Smash Run.....was a good idea, but executed terribly

I literally have not even touched it.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I was hoping it would be more Mario party like... I a talking the old Mario party. The "Because you did that ot me I am going to grab any object I can find and hurl it at your head!" Mario Party... not the happy family car ride stuff that came along and RUINED EVERYTHING!!!

I'd of liked to see the collection of some form of currency, used to by items and fighters... and many many ways to screw opponents over and destroy all they worked for.

With that said, I do like how it forces people to play with characters they aren't used to... not yet sure how i feel about the bizarre rules that they get played in.

Chocoroko

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chocoroko
There's one thing that makes Smash Tour worth going through. The loads of rewards at the end for winning. Your luck is more guaranteed if you play with 4 controllers.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
I enjoy it if I'm in tune with the spirit of "it'll be random garbage happening all the time and I'll get screwed over", and I don't say that to its detriment. I don't actually mind the idea in games of random garbage screwing over everybody.

It's just hard to get into that spirit when Smash's mechanics inspire competitive play. That's the biggest problem with Smash Tour.

I'd be interesting to think about smaller changes you could make to Smash Tour to make it more enjoyable. I haven't had a chance to play it with 4 players, that might possibly be more fun then having AI players.

Last edited:

Kluft

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kluft-f-zero
Im actually in the process of writing down a "review" of the singleplayer content of smash 4 and I am trying to write about smash-tour as well.

Heres a short version(again I will try to write about it in more detail later):
  • Too many elements are luck dependant (fighters, battle.modes, events).
  • Difficult to understand/Too much text needed to explain the basics for beginners.
  • The game lacks depth for people who know the rules to pick it up after they have seen everything.
In my opinion the problem with smash-tour has to do with Sakurai's design philosophy.

I will look at an interview Sakurai had about smash-tour about what his vision behind smash-tour was so I can explain it better, i will also highlight the important parts.

Here's a link to the article about the interview with Sakurai about smash tour:
http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-on-the-thinking-behind-smash-bros-wii-us-smash-tour/

The more deeply people play Smash Bros., the more they start seeking higher levels of precision in the gameplay. At the end, this leads them to prefer the Final Destination stage with no obstacles, no items, certain stock settings, etc. We did try to make this game so you can play it any way you like along these lines, but that approach does veer a little from the original intention of the design.
The beginning doesn't really talk about smash-tour but more about smash bros as a whole so I will be skipping it.

Smash Tour is the result of us pressing forward in our original direction – having a lot of changing elements in the field, leading to totally unpredictable situations.
Essentialy, Smash-tour is the way how Sakuai wanted people to play smash bros.

Our inspiration here wasn’t to copy the board game format, and the rules don’t follow those lines;
the gameplay is designed with Smash Bros. in mind.
He has basically ignored all the do's and don'ts in board game design.
Thats like saying you wanted to build an airplane but don't look at any documents regarding airplanes to see what worked and what didn't.
It’s set up so all sorts of things can happen in a short time, making it impossible to guess who will win.
That explaines why all player actions on the board happen simultaniosly and the overal random nature of the game in general.

It’s a very Smash Bros.-like approach, and while it can be unfair at times (like any board game), it’s built for people who can laugh all of that off as they enjoy the experience.
  • It intentionaly made to be fast and frantic and have a luck element to it.
  • He knows its unfair in its randomness / the randomness is deliberate
  • He thinks boardgames being unfair is normal or he has a very little knowledge of board games in general.
We engage in multiplayer during our lunch breaks, and these days we play Smash Tour mode every time. It’s fun, in part because it’s okay to an extent if the players involved vary widely in skill.
This is how (according to the Interview) Sakurai played Smash-tour:
  • He always played it with his employees together
  • The employees have a firm understanding how the game works (at least I hope so)
  • There was a skill gap between players
If you look at everything as a whole, it isn't really surprising that Smash-tour came out the way it did.
The random nature, the way battles are constructed (I will write about in my "review" later) the events and the finale.
Sakurai is afraid that new players will be scared away from playing smash bros because of its depth and high skill-ceilling it provides as a Fighting game.

Smash-tour (and by extention Smash4 as a whole) is build in a way to blur the skill-gap between players with randomness. Thats why it frustrating for everyone who plays it with the competitive spirit.

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Smash-tour (and by extention Smash4 as a whole) is build in a way to blur the skill-gap between players with randomness. Thats why it frustrating for everyone who plays it with the competitive spirit.
I can understand this. The competitive scene rightfully is trying to make rule sets that are balanced, and removes as much luck as possible.

But... for some people a lot of the fun is the insanity that comes when everyone is fighting for a smash ball, the change in momentum when someone gets the hammer, etc. Not a good fit for the big tournaments but a perfectly valid and fun way for many to enjoy this game.

Smash Tour isn't as well executed as I would have hoped... but the way it puts people into unfamiliar situations is something that will have me playing it a bit.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Smash Tour can be fun with four friends just sitting around and playing it, but with CPU's I tend to agree it's one of the worse mode the Smash series has to offer. Still, I feel it gets an unjust amount of hate, it can be a fun diversion or alternate mode, but ultimately people play Smash to Smash so it gets left by the wayside.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
It wasn't the mode we wanted. I want Adventure Mode

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
The thing is, when you're playing for fun with friends, and you have 4 people over, you just play Smash mode. The game has the makings of the chaotic, random gamepay that you see in Smash Tour. With me and my buds, I have the highest skill, but I don't always win. We do free for alls, on Temple, with random characters and sometimes items. Trying to make a game mode to enforce the chaotic style of play Sakurai wanted is pointless because that gameplay is already there.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I still loathe the Latias and Latios trophy only when it's used to turn the game into a one sided battle.
Scenario:
Team Battle (doesn't matter what type)
Opponent uses the Wolfen on you
Another opponent uses Latias and Latios on your partner (for those who don't know, Latias and Latios makes you team up with the opponent. When used in this case, it makes your partner become hostile)
You lose because too many opponents (bonus points is your partner used the hammer item).

ama99

Smash Journeyman
I feel as if I'm the only person in the entire world that likes Smash Tour, sure its not as fun as Classic or Events or the Orders. But Smash Tour is still a lot of fun(I love the whole concept of collecting characters to fight in a big final Battle), even though theres a bunch of random bull**** that happens regularly,

Last edited:

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Strangely, I find myself playing it on average once each time I boot up the game. I know I'm going to lose some battles, especially when one CPU inflicts 100% damage on me, another shrinks me, and the last one puts me to sleep. I'll even lose the final battle about 10 - 15% of the time even though I have more stocks because one CPU gets more KOs on the others than I do. Smash Tour is certainly loaded with issues as others have mentioned, so I don't see any need to repeat them.

What does make it worthwhile for me is that no matter how cheap the CPUs may be, and no matter how many times they prevail, I get the last laugh with all the equipment I win in the end.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
While it was hard to enjoy at first, it wasn't that bad once I got used to adjusting to the situation. I like the randomness it brings. While it's not as fun as Smash Run, being able to switch to a different character after losing a stock was cool. Also, I find this more fun than playing Monopoly or some other board game that lasts at least an hour...

TroperCase

Smash Cadet
I think the blue items hurt the mode. If there was a patch adding a "blue items" on\off switch next to the customizations switch, I'd always have them off.

Top Bottom