• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Every Generation of Pokemon should have at least one rep

jmandrummer123

Smash Apprentice
Before I begin
1st= Red/Blue
2nd= Gold/Silver
3rd= Ruby/Sapphire
Edit: Firered and Leafgreen are also included here
4th= Diamond/Pearl
With the other games left out

Well, there are four pokemon characters in melee: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pichu, and Mewtwo. Three of those are from the frist generation. Pichu should be cut, and none of the others should. Now, we have The Pokemon trainer as playable. Who still only counts as 1 character. That leaves the next three generations open for a playable character. While this would leave a huge 7 playable characters for a franchise, Pokemon is the series that could have 7 important characters and each one play originally.

Edit: Pokemon Trainer could be considered 3rd generation based on his model and the moves his pokemon use. But, his pokemon did originate in the first generation, so that is something else to ponder.

Some questions to consider: What do yall think these representatives could be? Does Pokemon even deserve this many? Will it get this many? Would you want this many?

Reyairia

Smash Champion
I think we'd end up with too many Pokemon rep, although I do understand your reasoning.

nrozich

Smash Cadet
Before I begin
1st= Red/Blue
2nd= Gold/Silver
3rd= Ruby/Sapphire
4th= Diamond/Pearl
With the other games left out of

Well, there are four pokemon characters in melee: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pichu, and Mewtwo. Three of those are from the frist generation. Pichu should be cut, and none of the others should. Now, we have The Pokemon trainer as playable. Who still only counts as 1 character. That leaves the next three generations open for a playable character. While this would leave a huge 7 playable characters for a franchise, Pokemon is the series that could have 7 important characters and each one play originally.

Some questions to consider: What do yall think these representatives could be? Does Pokemon even deserve this many? Will it get this many? Would you want this many?

It's possible we get a variation of the PT with a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen pokemon. Maybe not even starters. Think about a trainer with like Scizor, Blaziken and Lucario. What do u guys think?

jmandrummer123

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I personally think that it would end up being too many, but I also think that each generation deserves at least one.

nrozich does make a good point

:034:

Smash Hero
Pikachu = 1st gen.
Pokémon Trainer = 3rd gen. Fire Red/Leaf Green. The trainer is based on the Red design from FR/LG, and it counts as 3rd gen, since Pokémon can learn 3rd gen moves and such.

Meh. I don't really care as long as Lucario doesn't make it.

Smash Hero
Why the hate for Lucario?
There's just nothing special about him. At all. He's a generic fighting Pokémon with one sort of unique ability: an energy ball. Wonder where I've seen that before..? Not to mention that the only thing he has going for him is that he was in a movie that starred Mew just as much, and the movie wasn't that successful in sales as the other 4th gen movie with Palkia, Dialga and Darkrai.

jmandrummer123

Smash Apprentice
I don't want to get into an arguement about this. I think he would be awesome and there isn't a fighting pokemon in brawl yet. I haven't seen the movie, but he is big in Diamond/Pearl as well. Also, he was one of the first next gen pokemon to be revealed. However, I do see your point.

What pokemon would you suggest for the 2nd, 3rd (Besides PT), and 4th generations?

Smash Hero
I don't want to get into an arguement about this. I think he would be awesome and there isn't a fighting pokemon in brawl yet. I haven't seen the movie, but he is big in Diamond/Pearl as well. Also, he was one of the first next gen pokemon to be revealed. However, I do see your point.

What pokemon would you suggest for the 2nd, 3rd (Besides PT), and 4th generations?
Personally, I'd like Feraligatr for 2nd, Gardevoir for 3rd and Darkrai for 4th.

It's impossible though, since the last two are confirmed as Pokéballs.

If I'm going to be as realistic as possible... I'd say Lucario does have the best chance for the 4th gen slot. Because all the other good choices have been eliminated, save Arceus. But nobody agrees with me on that one. >_>

For 2nd gen... Well, Pichu is very likeable and known, not to mention most good 2nd gen Pokémon are already a Pokéball.

3rd gen... Gardevoir had the most chance due to being on the poll and being the main Pokémon of your actual rival, Wally. And being important in the Mystery Dungeon spinoff. Then there's Metagross, who was the Steven Stone's main Pokémon and Steven Stone was actually on the poll. Sadly, both have been reduced to a Pokéball status..

I think it's just this. Pikachu, Pokémon Trainer, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff. If I'm unlucky, they'll put Lucario in it as well. I'd hate it, but it's not impossible..

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It's possible we get a variation of the PT with a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen pokemon. Maybe not even starters. Think about a trainer with like Scizor, Blaziken and Lucario. What do u guys think?
I think instead of just another trainer, there should be a playable Pokemon Ranger. Only this character could be controlled directly and he could have 3 pokemon on the stage with him, only they don't do anything unless the ranger commands them.

The 3 pokemon wouldn't all fight at once just when the pokemon ranger commands them. So there could be a 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation represented with him.

Machete

Smash Ace
The only pokémons worth of it were Deoxys and Lucario (although I hate him, he's popular enough). Deoxys was, sadly, transformed into a Pokéball pokémon. Most likely, Lucario will be playable.

The four most recognizable pokémons are Pikachu, Mewtwo, Charizard (Pokémon trainer FTW) and Jigglypuff. The only 1st pokémon popular enough for a spot after those is Meowth, and, like Deoxys, he's a pokéball.

The most recognizable pokémons from the 2nd gen are Marill, Togepi (thanks to the anime) and Pichu. Togepi is a pokéball, I think Marill is too; and Pichu... erm... no. Other workable pokémons like Tyranitar, Scizor or Heracross aren't popular enough to be playables.

From the third gen, both Blaziken and Deoxys are popular. Deoxys was far more deserving than Blaziken, and he's only a pokéball. Blaziken will be a pokéball too, IMO.

From the fourth gen, sadly, Lucario is the most popular and recognizable pokémon, and the only viable choice for a 4th gen pokémon. Darkrai is a pokéball and Arceus, the God pokémon, hasn't been revealed yet (and he'd recquire too much work).

The pokémon roster should have Pikachu, because he's the most popular Pokémon ever; the Pokémon Trainer, because he's the main protagonist; Mewtwo, because he's the most famous legendary; Lucario, because he's the most popular non-1st gen pokémon right now and Jigglypuff, because she's a tradition.

Smash Hero
^ Torchic is a Pokéball, so Blaziken probably isn't in the game at all.

Arceus, the God pokémon, hasn't been revealed yet
Actually, this matters NOT! Shaymin hasn't been revealed yet and is confirmed to be a Pokéball!

3D King

Smash Journeyman
After the 2nd generation, Pokemon went downhill. I say let Brawl represent what was good about Pokemon. Besides, aside from Lucario there isn't any pokemon that really stand out in 3rd or 4th with universal popularity or plot relevance that aren't pokeballs.

EPX2

Smash Ace
After the 2nd generation, Pokemon went downhill. I say let Brawl represent what was good about Pokemon. Besides, aside from Lucario there isn't any pokemon that really stand out in 3rd or 4th with universal popularity or plot relevance that aren't pokeballs.
Exactly. Should each entry in the Mother and Fire Emblem series receive at least one rep? Of course not. Pokemon shouldn't be any different.

D

Deleted member

As long as Mewtwo is in there, I am happy.

LUCARIO 4 BRAWL

nrozich

Smash Cadet
I personally dont care for Lucario but there isn't really a better option for the later gens. 1st and 2nd gen are really the only good ones cept for a few good pokemon from 3rd and 4th. I would personally like another trainer with 2nd gen, 3rd gen and Lucario as the 4th gen.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I hope not. As said above, that is like representing every aspect/game of Fire Emblem.

I personally hate era/generation arguments for characters because they make little sense. Various characters have things like "they are from this part of the game series which is not/has not been represented" and consider it a reason why the character might get in.

The point in choose characters is not to represent a specific era or part of a franchise, but it seems to be more of the highlights of the franchise. For example, Vaati does not have a great chance of being a playable character just because he would represent portable Zelda games.

It looks like characters are chosen that are major faces of the series, that people who pick up and play Brawl are likely to know. Not nitpicky to the point they have to be as popular as Mario, but people who are at least somewhat familiar with the franchise. If you have played two Zelda games, ever, what are the chances you know Vaati? Of course you would know Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf though.

So in relation to this topic, I don't think every generation of Pokemon will be represented. Being such a popular franchise (Even though I think it died after the second generation) it will have several representatives, and will probably factor in "new age" players that have recently picked up on Pokemon with popular faces like Lucario, and hit the classic roots with the most popular and familiar Pokemon the hardest, with Pikachu, the Pokemon Trainers Pokemon, and Jigglypuff.

Top Bottom